Bourbon Barrel Wood Chunks from Amazon

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CatCrap
Swill Maker

Bourbon Barrel Wood Chunks from Amazon

Post by CatCrap »

Hey, Folks, happy national donut day. So, a couple weeks ago i came across and ordered these bourbon barrel white oak chunks on Amazon. They came in a 5# box in a bag. They were about 3" by 4" and about an inch thick,, varying in size slightly, cut from the staves of a used bourbon barrel. As soon as i opened the box i was hit by an intense aroma of bourbon. Awesome smell. You could see the char on the inside of the pieces, and some pieces have a notch or ridge in them, from different parts of the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OB ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I ran my first true spirit run (1.5X before that) out of some 3,4,and 5th generation UJSSM low wines. I'm doing cuts today, after airing 3 days, and going to probably do the oaking tonight too. So, i think these oak chunks are exactly what i need for aging/flavoring. I'll mention that i've little to no knowledge about oak and aging, aside from what i've read on this and other forums. I have read a fair amount, but i've no practical experience. So, I'll try my best to do describe the process i'm using and hopefully contribute to the forum by accurately describing my aging attempts.
Ive seen quite a few threads where someone has found some wood or adjunct product (spirals, notched sticks, cubes, beans etc.), sometimes oak, sometimes white oak, and wants to know if they will work with for oaking. So, this thread is sort of like that, in that i'd like to hear some opinions on this product, but i'll post my results with it, and hear what other people like to use for oaking, methods of charring, toasting, harvesting etc. How about some of your favorite sources for oak, in person or online.

So I've toasted some pieces at 400 for 1,2, and 3 hours. And i'll do a variety of char levels on the pieces. Then, let it age for a long time.. I'm thinking, after just reading a great thread where the author tried oaking at different abv %s, that the best abv to get nice color and flavor using charred, toasted oak, is between 62 and 65 for UJSM/Bourbon. So, i'll shoot for 65%.

I'll post some pics shortly.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Bourbon Barrel Wood Chunks from Amazon

Post by dieselduo »

I have been using these . I toast or char depending on what I am making. After one use I soak in sherry to make scotch. There is a good amount in each box http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Oak-Wood- ... 27eefb0445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

CatCrap wrote:Hey, Folks, happy national donut day. So, a couple weeks ago i came across and ordered these bourbon barrel white oak chunks on Amazon. They came in a 5# box in a bag. They were about 3" by 4" and about an inch thick,, varying in size slightly, cut from the staves of a used bourbon barrel. As soon as i opened the box i was hit by an intense aroma of bourbon. Awesome smell. You could see the char on the inside of the pieces, and some pieces have a notch or ridge in them, from different parts of the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OB ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
And for only $2.53 it includes 2 year protection. Wow!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey CatCrap
I have the exact product you're talking about here. I sanded down the old char to remove any old crap booze and give myself a new surface to work with. I cut them into about 1-2 inch wide strips and baked them according to TP's oaking and aging thread. After baking, I charred them with my torch and they came out great. They work fine on my bourbons, and I still have a bunch of them for future products.
I think you will get good use out of them!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

After about 6 months aging, i just wanted to share my opinion on this product..

It's excellent! I charred the chunks and used one or two pieces each per quart jar of 4th gen UJSM and Cornflakes Whiskey. It's given it some awesome incredible flavors and colors. I'd highly recommend this to anyone for ease of use, great quality and reasonable price.