Filtering after carbon

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

petersabbath
Novice

Filtering after carbon

Post by petersabbath »

I was read here about soaking in carbon for polishing, and filter though coffee filters, love the outcome. But today passed it through a ceramic filter after the coffee filters, it took 24 hours to complete

2 points the product looks amazing and look at the filter that started white and now........ makes u think
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Filtering after carbon

Post by Still Life »

What's the drink?
petersabbath
Novice

Post by petersabbath »

It was just plain spirit at this stage
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That thing looks like my dunder went through it.
Are you sure there was no chemical reactions with the ceramic?
I've not heard of people using that but I haven't looked either.
Shine0n
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

My thought is that the liquor went through the ceramic, dissolving the impurities already in the ceramic. Then, it just concentrated those impurities on the surface as it left the ceramic.

I'm just a simple guy, though, with simple theories. Wouldn't even know what impurities might be in ceramic. :roll:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Looks like you got the rest of the carbon out of the spirit.

Try running some uncontaminated/"carbon"ated spirit through a clean ceramic filter. Would be interested to see what got trapped.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

does that ceramic filter have a plastic outlet?

most ceramic filters are intended for water.
be water my friend
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cob wrote:does that ceramic filter have a plastic outlet?

Does it matter ? he's surely filtering wash not high abv spirit.
petersabbath
Novice

Post by petersabbath »

The system I have is from the bargain bin at Bunnings it is mostly stainless steel, but they sell the same thing in many brew shops for this purpose.

I am running it through at 40%. And yes there is some plastic contact. So there is some risk. But I am happy to take it compared to drinking carbon

There is no reaction between ceramics and the spirit looking on uncle google

So the main point was to point out that filter paper is not fine enough for carbon

The carbon had been warm water washed for 3 mins before use, so it was not dust in the spirit

my skills and knowledge is limited but I am trying..........
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Pikey wrote:
cob wrote:does that ceramic filter have a plastic outlet?

Does it matter ? he's surely filtering wash not high abv spirit.
not how I read it
petersabbath wrote:It was just plain spirit at this stage
taking chances does not promote safety.
be water my friend
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Filtering after car

Post by bluefish_dist »

i have filtered after carbon filtering with a .5 micron filter and have not had discoloration like that. I use 3 coffee filters on the pipe with the carbon in it and use 8-30 coconut carbon. I wash it first, then load the filter with wet carbon and chase the run with water.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
petersabbath
Novice

Post by petersabbath »

cool, what do u use for you .5 micron filtering? brand, photos

Some filtering information taken from the internet...... multiple sites checked to get a average on the information

Paper towels are designed to be absorbent, while coffee filters are designed to filter coffee, but with a typical pore size of 20 microns (or micrometers), they are not a particularly good filter in general.
Water Filter Candle filters down to 1 micron porosity
Activated carbon is extremely fine, with an average particle size of only 20 microns

I have written to the makers of my unit, ref type of plastic so TBA could not find it on google
But at this stage Carbon is a recognized risk to consume and I want it out of my drink.... but open for suggestions
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I won't say what I used as it violates one of the rules as the filter has plastic on it. I believe they are rated to 40% alcohol, so I feel confident using them.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What is the problem with consuming a bit of carbon?
petersabbath
Novice

Post by petersabbath »

Well that is the million dollar question, some say it is good for you others say it is bad and maybe linked to cancers. so to be safe I want it out....... I could be time wasting?

I am also carbon and oak polishing as per the main page info suggestion and need to remove 95% or more of the oak for things like Ouzo. I forget who post the tip, but it is in bloody ripper. Loving the spirit I am getting this way

As per normal just trying filter through the massive great quality info on this forum to see what works for me

Always happy to be corrected
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Just about everything on the planet has someone who is happy to tell you it can kill you. If some clown told me carbon was dangerous, I'd go to a more reliable source than an internet forum before I believed it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

petersabbath wrote:I am also carbon and oak polishing as per the main page info suggestion and need to remove 95% or more of the oak for things like Ouzo. I forget who post the tip, but it is in bloody ripper. Loving the spirit I am getting this way

As per normal just trying filter through the massive great quality info on this forum to see what works for me
The main site contains some poor quality info and is in the process of being updated. I wouldn't treat any of it as Gospel.
I haven't read the page you refer to for Ouzo, but the base spirit doesn't have to be as neutral as you seem to be trying to make yours. Traditionally, it is made on grape spirit and I'll bet carbon filtering has never been part of the method.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

NZChris wrote:Just about everything on the planet has someone who is happy to tell you it can kill you. If some clown told me carbon was dangerous, I'd go to a more reliable source than an internet forum before I believed it.
After reading this I went outside for a smoke and got to thinking about carbon, I was going to come back and say I wouldn't be too keen on breathing that particle size in, but I would be quite happy to eat it in smallish quantities, then I realised what I was in fact breathing in at the time :shock:

Then I thought about what we are actually making - a known poison, which has cumulative effects on many organs including the liver and the brain, with the deliberate intention of putting it into our bodies.

Almost everything we eat is based on carbon.

Least of your worries imho. :wink:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Every living thing on the planet is made of carbon at its base... So the meats you eat, the salad you prepared....carbon based. I won't even get into the fact that you grilled or smoked it

I would also suspect (now this is purely WITHOUT research as I don't feel like looking it up this morning... :mrgreen: ) that if your filtering through a 20-micron pore coffee filter, the quantity you're getting at consumption has to be in the parts per million range....

I can understand your concern PS and certainly would not make a recommendation either way...just throwing it out there.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

I'm pretty sure those filters are ceramic shells filled with carbon so, I think you might not be accomplishing what you think you are.

Still, that color is very telling. I've treated what looked like clear low wines with sodium hydroxide only to watch bluish precipitate fall out of suspension. Also, I don't know what other's peoples experience is but I have also noticed, during spirit runs, that what looked like clear low wines can leave pretty dark backset.

You didn't mention any difference in taste in the original post. Was there any? Also how much did you filter?
petersabbath
Novice

Post by petersabbath »

Ok I only try it after processing is finished, and it is bloody smooth. I filtered 5ltrs.

Following the steps on main page, carbon for 3 to 4 weeks and oak for last two days, as it is stired everyday, the carbon must grinds against itself so I guess the invisible dust/partials come form that. This type of processing I have be told both is worth while and a waste of time. But in the end I am getting very smooth product, so I am sticking to it

Try it on 1 ltr, with 1/4 cup carbon for the month and 10 grams of oak last two days, ur got nothing to loose but time
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

petersabbath wrote:Ok I only try it after processing is finished, and it is bloody smooth. I filtered 5ltrs.
Sorry, I didn't mean the carbon filtering but the ceramic filtering.

Of course it seems you didn't taste the product between these two steps.