Aging Rum

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Aging Rum

Post by Shine0n »

I want to oak age my infected rum!
Here is my plan and if anyone knows a better way PLEASE HELP ME. Lol
I buy med toast American white oak cubes from the brew shop, they are 1/2"×1/2" cubed
For a quart I put them side by side and 5" lg, it seems to be a good "not so oaky" ratio per quart and ages well and not over oak anything as of yet.

I want to age this properly as it's my pride and joy of rum to date, if anyone who does rum ALOT chime in and give some advice either way I'd like to know what others are doing.
Yummy, Saltbush I'd value all comments from you guys, if needed I'll explain my rum process, dunder, fermentation and distillation, cuts, and blending.

See I don't ask for much...

Shine0n
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Aging Rum

Post by Yummyrum »

No expert shineon but I would use only 1 stick in a 2liter Flagon and maybe 2 sticks in a 5 liter Demijohn . I used to add more go for deep dark colour from the wood but finding that less is better if you can leave it longer .
+1 on the med Toast AO :thumbup:

I also like to open it often lets the air in and the heads out .
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Heck I'd like to know more about the best rum you've ever made ShineOn... if you'd care to share :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Genrally most Rum is aged in used barrels, like Scotch. If you have used blocks or sticks, use them. I would age it darker than Scotch (more oak).
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have a topic in yeast fungi enzyme thread called dunder infections and my rum recipe in the sugar threads. Feel free to scope them out and if you have any questions please ask, I think my wife and oldest son are tired of talking about RUM! LOL

I for one can't stop thinking about it, talking about it and making it.

I've found a cut in half barrel that still has the char on the inside but there is not a logo or stamp or any indication of what or where it came.
I do however have some AO cut last summer and is seasoned well outside for more than a year, I will make some domino's of different sizes and toast them for 2 hours at 400°f
Also I have the med toast in the HBB that's just about ready to be removed and possibly put in the rum.

Sooooo many things to think about, so little time to actually get them done but I need to do this for the research aspect of HD

Shine0n
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

I've found that less is more. And longer aging time is better.