Aging UJSSM trial

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Notsob17
Novice

Aging UJSSM trial

Post by Notsob17 »

I just did my first spirit run of UJ. Ended up with just shy of 1 1/2 gallons after cuts. Diluted to 1 1/2 gallons to get to 120p. Decided to go with T-Pees aging method with white oak. About 10 years ago an old timer gave me a bunch of rough cut white oak lumber that is probably 50+ years old. It is 1.5" thick. I normally use it for making furniture and what not. I found a scrap piece and rannit through the planer to take off the rough edge. I then ripped it in half and then half again. I ended up with 3/4" x 3/4" x 6 7/8" sticks. Since this is my first oaking i want to try different methods to see what i may like the best. I baked 6 sticks in the oven at 400 deg for 2 hours. The smell while it was in the oven was pure heaven. Buttery with a hint of smoke is the best way i can describe it. After 2 hours i took them out and charred with the torch. They went in the gallon jug. For the half gallon jug i did the same thing but used 3 sticks and only baked them for an hour. Hit them with the torch as well. Next to find a cap, plug, etc. All i had was some rubber shit that was given to me by a winemaker. I wouldnt dare put this on the UJ i worked so hard for. I started researching different caps and bingo, i saw where somebody recommended a corn cob like the old timers used...got plenty of those left over from the half acre of sweet corn i picked a few months ago out of my garden. Went in the woods where i dumped them and they were perfect. Dry as a bone. Had to look for one that was big enough around to plug it up good. The pictures below are of the UJ after being on the oak for only a few hours. :clap: I would like to try some vanilla bean if i can find it. Next i want to try some hickory. I have some really nice and dry hickory i cut about 6 years ago. Have seen mixed reviews on it so i will try it out on a quart or so. I also want to tey more white oak after baking at a lower temp. I will update with pictures of the UJ every month or so.
Attachments
Torched
Torched
After 1 hour at 400
After 1 hour at 400
After 2 hours at 400 deg
After 2 hours at 400 deg
Oak sticks after planing and cutting
Oak sticks after planing and cutting
Sweet corn cobs
Sweet corn cobs
Part of the wood stash
Part of the wood stash
Notsob17
Novice

Re: Aging UJSSM trial

Post by Notsob17 »

UJ looking good. Will post pics through the process. Is the best place to store this in a hot garage? 90+ deg?
Attachments
UJ on oak after 2 hours
UJ on oak after 2 hours
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Looks good, I'd hide them for a minimum of 6 months then try, if not ready put em back in hiding.
The garage is a good place as it will have good temp swings from day to night, you'll be surprised how much effect 20°f will have over a period of time.

Let us know in 6 months,
Shine0n
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The angels are going to take their share and then some through those corn cobs. It'll taste fine but your proof will drop. Also, you have more than enough wood surface in the jugs. So, check the flavor after 6 months. You may need to remove some of the wood.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K