Using sherry or port in rum

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Using sherry or port in rum

Post by vqstatesman »

I have recently purchased a few bottles here and there of commercial spirits. It’s been a long time since I have purchased commercial spirits. I simply wanted to sample of few of the commercial brands and come up with a few ideas for tweaking my recipe and methods.

Out of many of the commercial rums I keep noticing the scent and flavour of fortified wine (port, sherry etc).

After using the HD search and looking on other forums it seems quite common to use sherry or port for flavouring. Most technics involve using ex port or sherry barrels or staves/dominos. Alternatively the examples I have come across people are adding port/sherry early on (or at the beginning) in the oaking/ageing process.

Has anyone added port of sherry to an aged and oaked rum? Is it possible to do it at/toward the end of oaking/ageing?

Anyone have any advice or cares to share their experience?
thecroweater
retired

Re: Using sherry or port in rum

Post by thecroweater »

I age rum I'm port barrels turns out nice, you can buy rum port but that is a port that was fortified with or partly with rum. That said the hints you are picking up in commercial spirits is much more likely caramel that is very commonly used in rum.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Next time you proof some, experiment with adding sherry. Keep good records of what you do.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I invariably add 25-50 ml of cream sherry to a 5 Litre batch of "Scotch-ish" at Oaking time, and would not hesitate to add it to a rum if I felt the flavour would be enhanced.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I take it taking about Dark Rum ? Have a look at "der wo's" posts on dunder infections...what you may be tasting is either a wild sherry flor from a Muck Pot or Dunder hole or an intentionally infected fermentation that also used sherry flor. it all depends on where the rum was produced. I say may be because there is no way of knowing after the fact.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I put cup sherry in 3 gallon batch dark rum I make
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

Infected dunder pit is next on my list of experiments to try. I have some dunder ageing as we speak.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

You are going to have FUN ! ! !
Getting hung up all day on smiles