Anyone make spiced rum?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Anyone make spiced rum?

Post by Antler24 »

I been looking at making a spiced rum used Buccaneer Bob's recipe but I can't seem to find the usual ingredients in my rural area. Has anyone tried macerating mulling spices? I was thinking about getting some on Amazon, and playing around with some raisins, cinnamon sticks and orange zest.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone done it?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Tater
Admin

Re: Anyone make spiced rum?

Post by Tater »

I use cider/wine spice kits that supermarket carries brand name of global treasures Mulling Spices.Son in law likes it over capt Morgans spiced rum that use to be his go to.Each pack make 12 qts. Usally a seasonal thing here though. when cider comes in fall ya see this with it.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Tater wrote:I use cider/wine spice kits that supermarket carries brand name of global treasures Mulling Spices.Son in law likes it over capt Morgans spiced rum that use to be his go to.Each pack make 12 qts. Usally a seasonal thing here though. when cider comes in fall ya see this with it.
Thanks tater, glad to hear it makes good stuff. My buddy has been asking for it and Capt Morgan is his go to as well so hopefully he likes it as much as your son in law!

What's your process?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I just put spice in cloth bag toss in the dark rum in 3 gallon jar for couple months Or till it tastes spiced enough .
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Sounds good! The mulling spices I ordered is a 1lb bag, can you make a guess as to how much you put in per quart?
Swedish Pride wrote:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

The pack I use is 1.5 oz for 3 gallons. https://foodcity.com/product/0069732100245/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

man, if we could just convince windycity to post up his recipe. rumour has it he is the master. :mrgreen:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
EventfulAnimal
Novice

Post by EventfulAnimal »

In two litres, I use half a cinnamon stick, a pinch of ginger powder, a vanilla bean, a small sprinkle of orange zest, 7-8 raisins, a sprinkle of desiccated coconut and some five spice. I would advise against adding cloves, because the flavour can be too strong too quick. Also orange zest needs to be used super sparingly - use a micro plane to shave off just the very surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

HDNB wrote:man, if we could just convince windycity to post up his recipe. rumour has it he is the master. :mrgreen:
We may have to nag him, alot...
Swedish Pride wrote:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

DavidR wrote:In two litres, I use half a cinnamon stick, a pinch of ginger powder, a vanilla bean, a small sprinkle of orange zest, 7-8 raisins, a sprinkle of desiccated coconut and some five spice. I would advise against adding cloves, because the flavour can be too strong too quick. Also orange zest needs to be used super sparingly - use a micro plane to shave off just the very surface.
Hi David. I'm intrigued! What is your base for this and how do you age yours? I think I will try your recipe with some of my white rum.

+1 on the warning not to use too much orange and clove. I've only tried a few small spiced rum experiments and the first set was ruined by too much orange zest.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Antler24 wrote:
HDNB wrote:man, if we could just convince windycity to post up his recipe. rumour has it he is the master. :mrgreen:
We may have to nag him, alot...
i've been doing my part for a year or two...i'm recruiting any help i can get. He prolly laughs every time he sees me whining for it. Thinking about getting the wife to sign up as a member here. I'm pretty sure she could get the job done.

now i drink for evil.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

just mixed up 1 litre of buccaneer bobs dark rum
i have to say.
it soooooooooooooo goooooood
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
EventfulAnimal
Novice

Anyone make spiced rum?

Post by EventfulAnimal »

OtisT wrote:What is your base for this and how do you age yours? .
My best result has been with dark rum from a pot still that was way overspiced (too much clove and orange) then run back through my column at a fairly low reflux to preserve some flavour. I then spiced it again more conservatively, with some oak cubes, and left it for a month or two. A lot of subtle flavours came through from the first infusion but not overpowering.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Of the seventeen fruits and spices I use the three I have to time with aging are orange peel (all pith removed) , ginger root (peeled) and cinnamon sticks. I attach a string (3) to each of these spices (I string them through like multi depth fish bait). Through trial, error and frequent testing/tasting I pull each one when I feel/taste they have imparted the proper quantity of taste to the product.
Note: orange peel can be a real bitch. The right amount gives you this little hidden flavor that you can't put your finger on and a little too much makes Grand Marnie, which is why I don't recommend orange zest as you can't remove it mid-infusion.
The real trick with these spiced rums is to not let any one spice really stand out but rather be a very homogeneous blend of many.
EDIT I have not had any problems with overpowering flavor with cloves but that may be due to my recipe not adding too much.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
EventfulAnimal
Novice

Post by EventfulAnimal »

Windy City wrote: EDIT I have not had any problems with overpowering flavor with cloves but that may be due to my recipe not adding too much.

Great advice Windy City, and I totally agree it's about balance, which takes time to achieve. Love your idea about hanging ingredients on strings!

Also I might be mistaking too much clove for too much cinnamon. You've put doubt in my head now.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Windy City wrote:Of the seventeen fruits and spices I use the three I have to time with aging are orange peel (all pith removed) , ginger root (peeled) and cinnamon sticks. I attach a string (3) to each of these spices (I string them through like multi depth fish bait). Through trial, error and frequent testing/tasting I pull each one when I feel/taste they have imparted the proper quantity of taste to the product.
Note: orange peel can be a real bitch. The right amount gives you this little hidden flavor that you can't put your finger on and a little too much makes Grand Marnie, which is why I don't recommend orange zest as you can't remove it mid-infusion.
The real trick with these spiced rums is to not let any one spice really stand out but rather be a very homogeneous blend of many.
EDIT I have not had any problems with overpowering flavor with cloves but that may be due to my recipe not adding too much.
So.... What's the recipe :lol:
Swedish Pride wrote:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Antler24 wrote:So.... What's the recipe :lol:
If you make essences using a mini gin still, you can play with blends to your heart's content. Use the rum for the base spirit and keep good records. Once you have found the blend you like, calculate how much of each to put in the spirit run, or make up an essence that you can add after the run.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

17 herbs and spices? .... does it taste like...fried chicken?

No wonder they line up for it! :lol:

Col. Windy City, has a nice ring to it.

Knowing you and Jimbo are going pro with it, we understand why it's a secret. (but hey, i'm thousands of miles away and i can keep a secret :wink: ... the PM button is right over >>>>>>)

:mrgreen:

now i drink for evil.