Finding Oak Alternatives

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mtaliancich
Novice

Finding Oak Alternatives

Post by mtaliancich »

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some experimentation with aging rums, and I'm looking to find where I could find some of the less common types of wood, specifically Amburana (Cerejeira). Does anyone have suggestions on finding this or Oak alternatives that you'd suggest? Thanks!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Finding Oak Alternatives

Post by kiwi Bruce »

First off...where are you ? ...(just in general, don't want you address) I've heard of some of the guys and gals here using almost every conceivable wood you can imagine... apple, cherry, peach, maple,..check and make sure that any wood you pick has zero toxicity. We have a sumac here in the US, innocent looking bush, that is very toxic and would be deadly in use to age or flavor high proof spirit.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I got a small piece of Amburana from this place:

Newman Lumber, in Gulfport MS (800.647.9547)
They have it listed as: Cerejeira (Amburana cearenala), or Brazilian Oak.

I've also used canarywood for rum which is easier to find.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
mtaliancich
Novice

Post by mtaliancich »

I'm in Louisiana, so I'm definitely staying away from sumac. I'm not all that far from Gulfport, so I'll check out Newman and see if they'll send me a sample. Thanks y'all. What kind of flavors and aromas are you getting out of canarywood?
mtaliancich
Novice

Post by mtaliancich »

Also, just talked to Bill at Newman Lumber, and he's sending a piece over to me. Thank you for the info!
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Sumac contains the same poison, urushiol, as poison ivy, poison oak and the plants of the genus Toxicodendron (including poison ivy, poison oak, and poison Sumac), as well as other plants in the family Anacardiaceae (mango, Rengas tree, Burmese lacquer tree, India marking nut tree, and the shell of the cashew nut), and even unrelated plants such as Ginkgo biloba. (wiki)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Ginkgo biloba That I didn't know. I did come in contact with poison Sumac. When it's young it looks like a young walnut and I, regretfully, pulled it out. It touched my side and for weeks I had a weeping ulcer at that spot...not fun...booze didn't even help...(well, maybe a little, not that much)
Getting hung up all day on smiles