Ujsm cinnamon stick and Cayenne pepper

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ujsm cinnamon stick and Cayenne pepper

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Whats going on ya'll, Tonight at the grocery store I found some cinnamon sticks so I picked them up. I'm using a fifth, of a third generation ujsm at 45% I added 1 red dried cayenne pepper and a cinnamon stick that was about 4" long. I apologize if there are other threads about this as I didn't take a lot of time researching this. I did read about a fire piss and I'm not really interested in adding sugar or corn syrup to my drink. Has anyone else tried this, if so should I add anything else? thank you in advance.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ujsm cinnamon stick and Cayenne pepper

Post by Oldvine Zin »

A little cinnamon goes a long way, long time ago I found out the hard way that 1 4" stick in about 1 gal of apple pie aged for a month was way too much cinnamon. It's easier to add more than remove that flavor.

Good luck
OVZ
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm worried about. I'm going to let it steep for 24 hours, then taste it and go from there. Worst case scenario if its to hot I can blend it with some I have on oak at cask strength.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

I interested to hear the results. Too much cinnamon?
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Taste daily for sure. But it really depends on the type of cinnamon too. In a pint of UJSSM I've had enough flavor at two days with one type (3" stick) and up to 6 days with another.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

PipeWelder316 wrote:Has anyone else tried this, if so should I add anything else? thank you in advance.
I'm late to this party and all, but.

I have tried this: cinnamon alone, chili pepper alone & cinnamon with chili pepper both together. What I am calling chili pepper is simply dried, crushed up hot red pepper and seeds as might be sprinkled over a pizza. One little 'Pizza Hut' package of hot crushed pepper per bottle for instance.

Both pepper and cinnamon flavor spirit fast. They can quickly become overwhelming taste too.

I find that the taste is distinctive and even good; but I'll seldom sip more than one shot of it before turning to something more “refined”. The problem with introducing a friend to this kind of “hot” or “loud” spirit is that when they know it is moonshine you'll run the risk that they might subconsciously associate that hotness with bad or uncultured hooch despite your hard work. Smooth spirits get more respect.
Omnia mea mecum porto
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

contrahead wrote:
PipeWelder316 wrote:Has anyone else tried this, if so should I add anything else? thank you in advance.
I'm late to this party and all, but.

I have tried this: cinnamon alone, chili pepper alone & cinnamon with chili pepper both together. What I am calling chili pepper is simply dried, crushed up hot red pepper and seeds as might be sprinkled over a pizza. One little 'Pizza Hut' package of hot crushed pepper per bottle for instance.

Both pepper and cinnamon flavor spirit fast. They can quickly become overwhelming taste too.

I find that the taste is distinctive and even good; but I'll seldom sip more than one shot of it before turning to something more “refined”. The problem with introducing a friend to this kind of “hot” or “loud” spirit is that when they know it is moonshine you'll run the risk that they might subconsciously associate that hotness with bad or uncultured hooch despite your hard work. Smooth spirits get more respect.
Yes you are right on the money contrahead, I drank that mixture of cinnamon/pepper whiskey and like you only a shot or 2 at a time. I don't plan on making this any time in the near future.