Using green/fresh cut wood?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SchmuBrew
Novice

Using green/fresh cut wood?

Post by SchmuBrew »

Everything I've read so far has everyone suggesting air dried wood.

Would there be a drawback to putting freshly cut wood on a BBQ, or in the oven. to dry and then toast (all in one session) ?

Although I am brand new to this (been making beer a while), I can't help but think that woods like sugar maple would be oozing with flavor when fresh cut (?)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Using green/fresh cut wood?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Coopers go to a lot of trouble to season their oak in the outdoors before they use it, Im sure there is a good reason for that. I think you would be hard pressed to get all of the moisture and sap out of the wood and get a good toast at the same time.
On the other hand , nothing ventured nothing gained.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Using green/fresh cut wood?

Post by Bushman »

The method used to dry the wood has an impact on flavor. The drying process converts chemical compounds in the wood to more desirable type thus how the wood is dried and for how long has a direct impact on the quality of the spirit.
I believe air drying is better than kiln drying because it reduces tannic smell and taste as well as releases more vanillins. I read some where however that wine barrels are air dried but some whiskey barrels are kiln dried and if it is used more than once then the second and third use doesn't make a difference.