Aging on... Live Oak

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gflower1
Swill Maker

Aging on... Live Oak

Post by gflower1 »

Not sure if this has already been covered but I've tried using the search function to no avail...

Can you use Live Oak to age? In my head I don't imagine it would taste good and no idea about the chemical makeup... Just lost a huge live oak in the yard though and contemplating the salvage/uses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aging on... Live Oak

Post by Swedish Pride »

so it's not live, just recently deceased.

It needs to sit out in the weather for a bit to season, leaching tannin or something like that
Don't be a dick
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here's another "green/live wood" thread recently asking the same/similar question. Look around and you'll find more.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=67672
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I believe the op is about the species "live oak" if I'm wrong... My bad :oops:

If you mean raw, nope! don't use it until properly aged outdoors for a year or more. Better to split or plank and let the weather do what it does uncovered.

If you mean the species then do the same as above and make some sticks of you choice of size after aging and toast to the level your looking for. Char if desired but read up on that subject when you can, if waiting on wood to season... you have plenty of time. lol
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

The wiki entry for live oak shows 31 different trees that fall under that name so who knows what you might have, if that is what you meant, and what it would produce.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Pretty sure live oak is a red oak species not a white one Test a small batch 1st as it may taste bad
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

gflower1 wrote:Can you use Live Oak to age?
I had to laugh.
I lived in Cajun Country LONG time ago so I know exactly what you meant by live oak.
It reminded me; when family/friends would come visit, they had a strange look on their face when I told them I HAD to show them this TREE!
Sorry For Your Loss.
:mrgreen:
Attachments
E Oak.jpg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Bamaberry wrote:
gflower1 wrote:Can you use Live Oak to age?
I had to laugh.
I lived in Cajun Country LONG time ago so I know exactly what you meant by live oak.
It reminded me; when family/friends would come visit, they had a strange look on their face when I told them I HAD to show them this TREE!
Sorry For Your Loss.
if you could enlighten me...so what's he mean live oak? and what does the picture have to with it? Why did you have to show them the tree? .... and what loss is y'all sorry for?

Damn, this whole post is waaay out of my wheelhouse here.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

HDNB, I think you and I live in the wrong region for understanding the comment.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Another name for the Live Oak he's talking about is Evergreen Oak. Different species from Red or White.

As far as using it to age, I have no idea. You may have to be a pioneer on this one.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:Another name for the Live Oak he's talking about is Evergreen Oak. Different species from Red or White.

As far as using it to age, I have no idea. You may have to be a pioneer on this one.
Yep . It's damn fine for slow cooked BBQ . I think it is more akin to red oak and would be less desirable than white oak for ageing . Never tried it so that is just a guess .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bushman wrote:HDNB, I think you and I live in the wrong region for understanding the comment.
Google Evangeline Summary (the Shmoop one)

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

As a native Floridian, I can enlighten a little. Not in the way of uses, though.

At least in Florida, it is a protected tree. You have to get approval to remove one, and it better be dying. You plan, usually, around the oak root system. This is because of its extreme localized growing region.
Quercus_virginiana_range_map_1.png
Live oaks are the type of tree you visualize when you think of southern canopy covered paths that lead up to the plantation in all the movies.

This is the image each and every one of you all just had...
img20170916_140516.jpg
Anyways, I always liked to think the reason it is called Live oak is because when you cut the roots, it actually 'bleeds' a red like sap. But in actuality, it most likely got its name from the fact that it only loses its leaves in the spring, as the new ones are coming on. It's always "alive" and never has a dead leaf phase.

That is why I am sorry for your loss. Very symbolic tree for the south. Beautiful and majestic. Put her to good use, but most likely not in your likker.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:As a native Floridian, I can enlighten a little. Not in the way of uses, though.

At least in Florida, it is a protected tree. You have to get approval to remove one, and it better be dying. You plan, usually, around the oak root system. This is because of its extreme localized growing region.
Live oaks are the type of tree you visualize when you think of southern canopy covered paths that lead up to the plantation in all the movies.

img20170916_140516.jpg
Anyways, I always liked to think the reason it is called Live oak is because when you cut the roots, it actually 'bleeds' a red like sap. But in actuality, it most likely got its name from the fact that it only loses its leaves in the spring, as the new ones are coming on. It's always "alive" and never has a dead leaf phase.

That is why I am sorry for your loss. Very symbolic tree for the south. Beautiful and majestic. Put her to good use, but most likely not in your likker.
Oh Crazy you spoiled it.
Indeed in the DEEP South, they are HIGHLY protected.
People have been jailed for messing with them.
HDNB, you need to come down and check it out.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Bamaberry wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:As a native Floridian, I can enlighten a little. Not in the way of uses, though.

img20170916_140516.jpg

Oh Crazy you spoiled it.
Indeed in the DEEP South, they are HIGHLY protected.
People have been jailed for messing with them.
HDNB, you need to come down and check it out.
I just lost mine to the hurricaine very hard wood they grow slow and the big ones are hundreds of years old very tannic