Has anyone aged on (unmashed) grain?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SchmuBrew
Novice

Has anyone aged on (unmashed) grain?

Post by SchmuBrew »

Just curious if anyone has tried adding x amount of freshly milled grains?
(Sort like a cold steep in high ABV)
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Has anyone aged on (unmashed) grain?

Post by Pikey »

You mean - Like a "corn Liqueur" - Not as far as I know ! - Why not be the first and update the thread to let us know how it goes :)
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Yup, been done. A quick search should pull up some results. I know I personally have a thread I did on adding corn while aging. Turned out pretty good. Kinda tasted like buttered popcorn after 6 months or so.

If I remember correctly it was titled something like enhancing an all grain whiskey or some such.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. I wouldn't name it aging but flavoring. Interesting flavors. Different than you think probably. But it gets slimey too. That's the problem.
Semi-off-topic: To add fresh grains before distilling (stripping or spirit run) is a simple way to increase grain flavors. You will indentify the specific grain much easier. Not much needed.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
SchmuBrew
Novice

Post by SchmuBrew »

YAK, thank you, I love buttered popcorn! so I will definitely look for your thread.

DER WO, when you say "not much needed", how much is "not much"?

I realize a lot of this stuff has to be learned for one's self, but a starting point would be helpful (1 oz grain per gallon? 1 lb?)

cheers & thanks
Scmhu
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

SchmuBrew wrote:DER WO, when you say "not much needed", how much is "not much"?
You will recognize an effect already when using 100g grain in 10l low wines. Probably 500g is overkill and it will start to taste very untypical.
And BTW I recognized that it is very effective this way to rise the peat level. My last peated Whisky has much more peat flavor than my other peated malts. I am sure, the addition of malted barley is the reason.
Mazerating grain in neutral alcohol and then redistiling it is one of the things I will have to try out sometime.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg