Absinthe and the elusive herb.

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ranger
Novice

Absinthe and the elusive herb.

Post by Ranger »

I am seriously intrigued. I have lost days looking at recipes, ingredients, forums, videos, and anywhere I can find information or experience making Absinthe.

I have been interested for some time and had purchased some dried wormwood I found locally. Most of the ingredients are very easy to source. The biggest challenge seems to be the Petite/Roman Wormwood (Artemisia pontica) for the second maceration for coloring and accurate flavoring. I have come across many posts from 2007-2016 that have dead links to suppliers. I have found the herb through a few places, but old links were stating around $20 a lb, all I am finding available is $5 an ounce. I would like to purchase enough to be able to work with over the winter.

The most recent post are from members who have resorted to growing it themselves. I would love to have these growing in my garden, but with 5 inches of snow this morning I am not in the plant market. Does anyone here have a source, or is anyone growing enough to spare?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Absinthe and the elusive herb.

Post by NZChris »

The amount used is tiny compared to A. absinthium, so an oz should be enough for a substantial quantity.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Whoops, I take that back. In my botanical bill it's not much less, an oz making half a gallon. Still, $5 worth for that much Absinthe is not a deal breaker.

I grow mine.
Ranger
Novice

Post by Ranger »

You are right, it's certainly not a deal breaker. I would just like to have enough on hand that a few mediocre or nasty batches isn't going to be anything to get too concerned about.

I just contacted Absintheherbs directly to see if they will ship to Canada, I couldn't complete my order through their site. That leaves me with one more option out of Denmark. With shipping I am looking at $14 for an ounce and 3/4.

With the limited options I had to ask. Especially with 2014 posts sourcing it at $20 a lb. A lb leaves a lot of room for error.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Might be worth trying Monteagle Herbs

http://monteagleherbs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I don't see if listed on their site, but they might be able to order it for you.
Ranger
Novice

Post by Ranger »

Thanks! I contacted Monteagle, I haven't gotten a response, yet.

Absintheherbs replied, $40 shipping to Canada, $25 for the herb. Over $80 for 5 oz once you convert it to Canadian dollars.

The Alchemistpantry in Denmark is 18 euro for 5 oz and 6.99 shipping. $37 including shipping and exchange rate for 5 oz. This is the most reasonable price I have been able to find by a long shot and it's really not that bad. 5oz should get me through the winter months. I can experiment with some recipes and source out some plants in the meantime.

I am going to call around and see if I can find anyone more local that can bring it in. Otherwise I'll place my order with Alchemistpantry Monday, I won't get the order filled before then anyway.

If anyone has any other ideas please share.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canada side there is a very good distributor called Trade Technocrats who might have what you want.

https://trade-technocrats-ltd.myshopify.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I've bought from them before, they're wholesale and very reasonable. I've had juniper and herbs previously.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Bushman »

Here is a link to purchasing.
http://www.absintheherbs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ranger
Novice

Post by Ranger »

Trade Technocrats doesn't have Roman Wormwood, but they look to be great source for everything else. Thanks!
Ranger
Novice

Post by Ranger »

I ordered everything this week. It is all coming from Trade Technocrats other than the A. Pontica. I am about an hour and a half from Edmonton so instead of waiting till I can get in there and then try to source everything I just placed the order online. The shipping was very reasonable and the prices were good. Thanks for that info ExpatLad.

I couldn't find a source for the Roman Wormwood better than The Alchemist Pantry in Denmark. I have 5 ounces on the way from there. Most recipes seem to average about an ounce of A. Pontica per liter of finished product. Unless things go terribly wrong and I have to scrap a batch or 2 that should be plenty to experiment with over the winter.

I will chime in with a new post and some results once I get into the trials. Thanks for the input!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

No worries Ranger, i'm glad its useful for you!

My last order I picked up from their warehouse, they really are Aladdin's cave; the mix of smells just about set my nose on fire. I have to google more than half of their product list as I have no idea what they are or what you could use them for.

Perhaps sometime i'll have to create a post for Canadian members trying to find herbs and botanical. I searched for a long time before finding TradeTech by a most unorthodox means. :egeek:

Looking forward to hearing how your absinthe goes! :thumbup:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd