Flavored neutral clouded with simple syrup

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RobA
Novice

Flavored neutral clouded with simple syrup

Post by RobA »

I had 2 jars of 190 proof neutral. I added lemon peel to 1 and raspberries to the other, diluted them down to about 100 proof with distilled water (wound up with 500 ml in each) and let them sit for about a week. After filtering through coffee filters they were very clear. I added about 200 ml of simple syrup to each. The lemon jar immediately went cloudy but the berry jar stayed clear. Any thoughts on why the lemon mixture went cloudy? Is there any way to clear it up?
thecroweater
retired

Re: Flavored neutral clouded with simple syrup

Post by thecroweater »

yep, that's what limoncello does, I think its a reaction with the water, sugar and citrus oil. Give it time and it will clear up a fair bit but not back to clear. The good thing is it doesn't affect taste.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Flavored neutral clouded with simple syrup

Post by Kareltje »

I am not surprised: citrus peel contains quite a lot of terpenes and other oil-like liquids.
I do not know if these are soluble in alcohol, but a lot are not or only partial in water.
The same effect when you dilute strong gin or pastis or ouzo. You at least know there is enough of the flavouring in it.