Oak infusion spirals for flavoring

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oak infusion spirals for flavoring

Post by hpby98 »

Was on badmotivators thread and I came across a barrel making link and didn’t want to threadjack

Looks like they make oak infusion spirals too

Looks like they run $55 a set

http://www.infusionspiral.com/infusion- ... -pack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Talk about surface area contact...!
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oak infusion spirals for flavoring

Post by Opdog »

My 2 cents

I picked up a few of the small ones that go in 750 ml bottles a while ago to test. I’m aging a HBB gumballhead at 62% ABV with them. So far I have great color, but the flavor is less than I expected. That may have to do with the gumballhead being less flavorful overall. It was still pretty good, just not as rich as the original HBB.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I used a few about 6" long. Putting 1 spiral in a 1 gal glass jar of UJ left a month and the color was great but the taste was Oak tea. At 2 month taste was more woody and very dark. I pulled them out and never will use them again.
Coopers take extra effort to keep end grain on staves off the product. Spirals are basically all end grain. May be the coopers know something.

AC
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree with AC, they have way to much end grain.
"Dominoes" the type that the mob over at SD sell are a much better product with very little end grain.
Im not trying to push anyone's product, just telling it as it is.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

From what I read or 'so I'm tole' as one member says here....end grain should be limited. The spirals present a huge amount of end grain. I use 3/4 x3/4 x4" sticks. That equates to about 1 1/8" sq inches of end grain per stick and 12 sq. inches of side grain. I read that the 'woodies' pour out of end grain. The amount of end grain in a spiral cut piece of wood is enormous compared to lets say a solid cylinder of the same dimensions. Marketing hype of an inferior product is my vote.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer that makes the spiral oak aging rods also doesn't sell the shavings from the process as oak aging chips.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

And this is why I post here. Tons of cool insight. Thx for everyone’s replies