corn flavor shine from neutral ?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

circuit
Site Donor
Site Donor

corn flavor shine from neutral ?

Post by circuit »

just wondering has anyone tried to make there neutral taste like a old fashioned corn moonshine .

if so what did you add to the neutral spirit to get the flavor ?

i have a t500 and can only get neutrals but i would love to be able to make
my own drinking corn moonshine .

just wondering if adding corn syrup is the answer .
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: corn flavor shine from neutral ?

Post by Skipper1953 »

Have you tried distilling a mash/wash that had some corn flavor to start with? Reducing the reflux ratio when you are running your still should leave a bit more flavor in the distillate. I think adding flavoring to a neutral to get a corn flavored drink is going the long way/wrong way. Use a flavorful wash and run your still in a way that does not strip all the flavor out of that wash. Don't make it neutral to start with and you won't need to add anything for flavor.

Using corn syrup is going to get you about as much corn flavor as granulated sugar. Taste a spoonful of corn syrup and see what you think.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not know whether a T500 has a ginbox, but some time ago I read that putting grain in a ginbox or thumper can give a nice graintaste.
circuit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by circuit »

Skipper1953 wrote:Have you tried distilling a mash/wash that had some corn flavor to start with? Reducing the reflux ratio when you are running your still should leave a bit more flavor in the distillate. I think adding flavoring to a neutral to get a corn flavored drink is going the long way/wrong way. Use a flavorful wash and run your still in a way that does not strip all the flavor out of that wash. Don't make it neutral to start with and you won't need to add anything for flavor.

Using corn syrup is going to get you about as much corn flavor as granulated sugar. Taste a spoonful of corn syrup and see what you think.

agreed it might be better.
i assume by reducing reflux rate you mean removing some or all of the packing .

just seeing what people might have tried .
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Good luck squeezing, steaming or melting an ear of corn to wring some flavor out of it....Try UJSSM Tried and True recipe, you'll have great corn !!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I doubt a T500 is capable of turning UJSSM into neutral. Detune it as much as you can, then run into small jars and choose a blend from them.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

sltm1 wrote:Good luck squeezing, steaming or melting an ear of corn to wring some flavor out of it....
What'd I miss?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Skipper1953 wrote:
sltm1 wrote:Good luck squeezing, steaming or melting an ear of corn to wring some flavor out of it....
What'd I miss?
I think that's because the OP talked about adding to a neutral spirit.
circuit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by circuit »

Yea but the whole purpose of the neutral spirit is so you can flavor each drink you have the way you like . just thought someone might have found a smooth tasting way to make like 1 quart of something similar tasting to the old fashioned corn shine . i really dont want a gallon of 190 proof corn flavor ...

Thanks anyway .

Ill start experminting with some of the corn extracts thats forsale and see what i come up with .

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

circuit wrote:Yea but the whole purpose of the neutral spirit is so you can flavor each drink you have the way you like . just thought someone might have found a smooth tasting way to make like 1 quart of something similar tasting to the old fashioned corn shine . i really dont want a gallon of 190 proof corn flavor ...

Thanks anyway .

Ill start experminting with some of the corn extracts thats forsale and see what i come up with .

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
??? By chance are you a ones and zero's software person? :)

OVZ
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

circuit wrote:Yea but the whole purpose of the neutral spirit is so you can flavor each drink you have the way you like .
I thought the purpose of making neutral spirit was so you could make products that required neutral spirits as the base spirit. Gin, Vodka, Absinthe and fruit steeps etc., but not corn likker, rum, brandy and whiskey.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

NZChris wrote:
circuit wrote:Yea but the whole purpose of the neutral spirit is so you can flavor each drink you have the way you like .
I thought the purpose of making neutral spirit was so you could make products that required neutral spirits as the base spirit. Gin, Vodka, Absinthe and fruit steeps etc.
One would assume.
Circut,really you have the wrong tool for the job. You need a pot still. Those essences are not even close to what they are supposed to taste like.
You could come close by throwing a bit of cracked corn in a jar and then returning through a pot still but again ,you have the wrong tool.
The only way to know what white corn whiskey tastes like is to make you some in a pot still.
On the other hand, I doubt you are getting a true neutral on that t500 so how about making a corn vodka and then blending some flavor back in from the tails.ta daaa,corn whiskey.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!