too much OAK !

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cristi
Novice

too much OAK !

Post by Cristi »

Hello,

I just met someone that added cereal alcohol at 70% to a new oak barrel, no charring , no curing before and the OAK is so strong that is bitter. He has about 25L of this stuff and we were thinking of distilling that again to remove the OAK taste but i think this will not help as i think the oils from oak will still remain.
Maybe a column distiller will give a neutral spirit that can be used for something else.
What are you thoughts on this ?
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: too much OAK !

Post by jon1163 »

How long has it been in the barrel?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It might be ok in a couple of years. Products that I over oaked massively improved greatly over the next 18 months.

If you are in a hurry for some drinking likker, make a bulk batch of something that can be drunk young and white and leave the good stuff to age.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Not sure that continuing to age in that uncharred barrel will ever give the flavor you are looking for.
Cristi
Novice

Post by Cristi »

The spirit was in the barrel for about 2 months.
We are not in a hurry , just looking for solutions to clean the spirit and maybe age it again on the correct method.
Fuzzy
Novice

Post by Fuzzy »

Maybe charcoal filter would work on this? it will strip flavors, haven't tried it myself on over oaked spirit, haven't had any yet but expect I might someday. Would like to know if this works if you try it!
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

take out a pint jar and NUKE IT to see if that improves the taste... then cut it back to about 50 abv taste it. IF you like it leave it if not cut it back to about 45 abv taste it and so forth till it's down to about 35 abv....

IF this is not working. I would put some of it on charred or toasted oak and give it some time.... this time put it on the oak at 55 to 65 ABV instead of 70...

these suggestions are to see if you can do something with it as it is... next time get a charred barrel to start with... or forget the booze and just chew on oak twigs or leaves for that " special taste"

happy stillin,

FS
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Time and patience. Essential, but hard to bottle.

You can also take another "underoaked" batch and blend. Works wonders. (but will still require time and patience)