how much oak (cubes) how much cinamon ?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SchmuBrew
Novice

how much oak (cubes) how much cinamon ?

Post by SchmuBrew »

My first ever run (rum in a 15 gal ss keg still on electric element) was a dismal failure. the rig was not clean enough and I had some "flux" flavor issues...

fast forward 2 weeks, my first all (2row) grain stripping run is complete (captured 6 gallons @ 30%) & the next beer run (including backset from the first run) is bubbling away as we speak.

I am hoping to run 12 gallons at 30% & plan to make tight cuts hoping for 40% of volume or so as final product.

I would like to keep the dead center ( a bottle or 2) of the hearts as a pure white dog and divide the rest equally into 3 parts.

1 to be flavored with cinnamon sticks, 1 to be flavored with vanilla beans, 1 to be oaked.

QUESTION:

if "aged" in 750 ml bottles, how much of a cinnamon stick should be in each bottle? how much of a vanilla bean? how many oak cubes (3/4 x 3/4 medium toast)?

should i be adding oak to the cinnamon and vanilla bottles as well?

I would like the finished product to be subtle in flavor (not looking to make a fireball), without removing the additives once it reaches a desired flavor (just want to "set it and forget it").

any and all advice or opinions appreciated and thank you in advance.

/cheers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: how much oak (cubes) how much cinamon ?

Post by NZChris »

Have you read/studied Kiwistiller's guide to cuts?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261
SchmuBrew
Novice

Post by SchmuBrew »

I have, but am confused with what making cuts has to do with flavoring :?:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

SchmuBrew wrote:I have, but am confused with what making cuts has to do with flavoring :?:
well...if you start with something good, it may make something good. not speaking for NZC, but your described method sounds "off", not bad, just not what one would expect following (more common or traditional?) kiwistillers guidelines. It is a very practical guide to really understand

as for cinnamon i'd suggest a small piece like 1/2 inch on a string and check it every 8 hours. it gives over very quick and is powerful.

vanill a 1/4 bean split

oak about 10 sq. in. of surface showing say 1/2 by 1/2 by 5 stick
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
SchmuBrew
Novice

Post by SchmuBrew »

I probably didn't explain my plans to cut and divide very well,

after making cuts based on the guide (& saving the center 750ml as a white dog - from what I gather from others that can be a good bottle left raw?),
I would then blend hearts (save the feints for another day) and then divide the keeper portion into 3rds - so I can play with the 3 different flavors.
Might even end up blending some of the 3 together.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That's a bit clearer. If you are wanting to do experiments, don't commit all of your product to it, especially if you are in a hurry for a result, like this Xmas. Some things, like cinnamon, can be wonderful addition to a gin where they are distilled into the spirit, but can create something that resembles snot in a steep.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Despite what some people say not all recipes made by steeping Cinnamon taste like snot. This recipe comes from the Tried and True recipe section of the forum. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=30
Maybe you can use some of the information and quantities from this recipe to help you on your way to making something good from your own spirit. :thumbup:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

+1 Salty. That is a fine recipe that I have made in the past. The most thick part is the sugar you add. Otherwise, it's like any other spirit.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
SchmuBrew
Novice

Post by SchmuBrew »

I'm running a pot so using a neutral is out.

I am leaning towards using store bought (dirty word) vodka and making extracts, then I can add drop by drop until the right flavor is achieved.