Toasted Staves Inside a Pressurized Keg

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Toasted Staves Inside a Pressurized Keg

Post by Reverend Newer »

Hey everyone, I was thinking about putting some crocodile skin'd oak staves inside a stainless keg thru the hole along with finished spirits, then replace the spear and pressurize with the regular hand pump keg pressurizer/beer dispenser to speed up the aging process. I plan to release the pressure and reapply occasionally over a couple few weeks (even if I have to cut the spear short, got plenty), also capable of sizeable temp fluctuations if needed.

I am sure this has been covered but has anyone a link because I could not find much on the subject of pressure aging this way?

I am thinking "aging" isn't the correct term so please tell me if there is another word for this?

oh, I have some grabbers to get them staves out afterwards :wink: though I was thinkin' teabag lines might work faster.
Last edited by Reverend Newer on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Toasted Staves Inside a Pressurized Keg

Post by Still Life »

Nothing can age except time, so "flavoring" is maybe a better term.
Here's discussion on your process.
Interesting subject.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Ok I obviously have not been using the search feature correctly, there is tons on the subject as I figured. Thanks!

By the way, flavoring and some color is fine and really the purpose. It seems fit that "aging" means time and nothing else. I couldn't think of the correct term.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

No prob, Reverend.
Use the HD Google Search instead of the other search. It's a powerhouse tool.
Open it, leave a space after the search URL already there, and type in the word or term (in this case, I typed in 'pressure aging').
Cheers to you!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi Rev. I do something similar on a smaller scale, using pressure to saturate and release liquid from the wood, using glass jars with sticks and a SS Badmotivator barrel. Use the HD Google search for Vaccuum.

I use a food saver vaccuum sealing system with a mason jar attachment to vacuum jars. The wood becomes saturated in minutes. I tend to vacuume/release pressure once a month or so.

With the Badmo, which is sealed except for the wood end, I use temp differences to increase/reduce pressure. Just last week I put my badmo over a heater air vent for a day, which heated it and increased internal pressure, forcing more spirits into the wood. I can tell pressure is up by the bulge in the bottom of the SS barrel. When it cools enough, the pressure is reduced and a vacuum is formed inside, pulling air in through the oak.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Very interesting OtisT, looking that up now. Thanks again Still Life, I had read about the google search protocol but for some odd reason kept using the one at the top. I'm straighten't out now!

....had been wondering why I couldn't find may 3" shotgun builds knowing this site contains huge amounts of info.

weuu!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I think it might actually go a long toward simulating aging if you could combine pressure and vaccum alternately along with a 20 to 30 °f temp fluctuation. A lot of effort though.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!