Aged 1 Full Year on Dec.25

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aged 1 Full Year on Dec.25

Post by Deerhunter »

Had 5 gallons of SF hearts at 120 proof on oak for one full year. It was well worth the wait. Cut it back to 100 proof before bottling. Boy is it ever so smooth. The angels took roughly 1/2 liter.
Attachments
20171216_153819 (450 x 600).jpg
20171216_154312 (450 x 600).jpg
20171216_160848 (450 x 600).jpg
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aged 1 Full Year on Dec.25

Post by WIski »

That nectar looks awesome. :clap: Congrats on the patience. What kind of barrel did you use?
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

American white oak with a medium char.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Was that a first fill or previously used barrel? My barrels are performing much different depending on size and manufacturer.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I bet it takes less time to drinkem up,lol

Looks good :thumbup:
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice. Time to increase production so you have more reserves :D
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

WIski wrote:Was that a first fill or previously used barrel? My barrels are performing much different depending on size and manufacturer.
I would like to call this a bourbon, but this is the second use of this barrel. Although the first filling was for 6 months, I thought I could get another fill out of it for a years time. Its a 5 gallon barrel. Served its purpose well. Don't know how your barrel is performing but I'm more then happy with the outcome. Forgot the manufacturer I could look it up if you want to know.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Deerhunter wrote:
WIski wrote:Was that a first fill or previously used barrel? My barrels are performing much different depending on size and manufacturer.
I would like to call this a bourbon, but this is the second use of this barrel...
Awe, go ahead...and call it a "bourbon". Nobody's gonna' know the difference, right? After all, it all boils down to "the taste".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

DH, as SS has suggested, by all means I'm sure this nectar is better than any bourbon you would buy. My interest was peaked when you said you had aged for a full year. My first barrels were from The Barrel Mill and I couldn't keep the white in them for more than 5-6 months. It was becoming way over oaked. I dumped it and let it sit at aging abv for another 6 months off oak and it has been awesome. On the other hand, I have another Barrel from a different manufacturer and this has been aging new make for 8+ months with no worries. I'm anxious to compare the two different barrels at the 1 year mark. I'm also anxious to refill one of those Barrel Mill barrels for the second time and see where that goes. I'm thinking a mighty fine bourbon aged for much longer than the first fill allowed.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

WIski wrote:DH, as SS has suggested, by all means I'm sure this nectar is better than any bourbon you would buy. My interest was peaked when you said you had aged for a full year. My first barrels were from The Barrel Mill and I couldn't keep the white in them for more than 5-6 months. It was becoming way over oaked. I dumped it and let it sit at aging abv for another 6 months off oak and it has been awesome. On the other hand, I have another Barrel from a different manufacturer and this has been aging new make for 8+ months with no worries. I'm anxious to compare the two different barrels at the 1 year mark. I'm also anxious to refill one of those Barrel Mill barrels for the second time and see where that goes. I'm thinking a mighty fine bourbon aged for much longer than the first fill allowed.
Yeah that sounds like a wonderful 3yr old bourbon is in your future!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there