Aging at 60> ABV without Heads

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jloftin60
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aging at 60> ABV without Heads

Post by jloftin60 »

On a six gallon run, the ABV drops pretty fast. Even if i run it twice.
When I make my cuts, in order to get 60> ABV, I have to include more heads
than I would like to.
For example; how does Wild Turkey produce 101 Proof without mixing heads?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aging at 60> ABV without Heads

Post by Odin »

Some heads present while aging ... not a bad thing.

You run a potstill? What is the starting abv of your beer?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
jloftin60
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jloftin60 »

The starting ABV beer is usually 5-6%. I am running a pot still.
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

Try running a quick stripping run and collect enough to do a spirit run at 35%. Should be no problem to collect at over 60% for aging.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

rumbuff wrote:Try running a quick stripping run and collect enough to do a spirit run at 35%. Should be no problem to collect at over 60% for aging.
... that depends on the product you'd want to make. If it is whiskey or rum, you want to include some early tails for complexity and for the drink to stand up to the wood. Stopping the stripping run early would potentially leave some of this out. And you'd lose quite some alcohol in the process, especially since you start quite low in your beer's abv.

I would suggest a different approach. First strip everything. You'd probably end up with a 20% low wines. Collect enough of those low wines to do another stripping run. On these low wines. You will probably end up with around 50% as a result. Now, dilute this with freshly fermentend out wash (yes, the 5 to 6% stuff) and bring it back to 35%. Do a finishing run there.

You are performing a 2.5 distillation approach here, and it will get you to the desired hearts abv, and create tremendous taste. Firstly because you start with a low abv in your beer, secondly, because you add new flavor prior to the finishing run.

Or change your mashing and fermentation procedures and go for an 8% beer instead of 5 to 6%. That will give you great results with the normal 2 distillation scheme.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.