5 gal of whiskey aging in a 10 gallon barrel?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

butterpants
Swill Maker

5 gal of whiskey aging in a 10 gallon barrel?

Post by butterpants »

Got a great deal on a brand new #4 char 10 gallon oak barrel. I normally use 5 gallons and that's right at how much final cut 130 proof spirits I've got to go in it. What sort or issues would I encounter only filling it halfway with the 5? Over oxidation from the top half staves drying out and becoming porous? Effect on flavor? It'll be stored in a basement that's about 60-70F most of the year and about 25% humidity.

It is in the realm of possibilities to get another 3 gallons of final cuts into it within a few weeks but I would have to seriously busy my butt to do it. Worth it......or Just let it ride with 5?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: 5 gal of whiskey aging in a 10 gallon barrel?

Post by still_stirrin »

The angels watching your cask may be exceptionally thirsty. Other than that, you’ll be fine.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Lay it on the side and turn it from time to time so that it doesn't dry out anywhere.

Geoff
The Baker
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Awesome thank you. How often do you think on the rotation given it's a dry climate?

Does misting the outside with water mitigate the stave shrinkage any?

Any accelerated oaking due to the rotation?
Wino2Distill
Novice

Post by Wino2Distill »

I'm in the same situation but with 2.5 gal in a 5 gal barrel, which is in a dry basement. I'm using a winery trick : I wrapped the barrel with plastic film wrap. The ends are open so it will breathe plenty still.
Starting out with an Essential Pro Series II - 8 Gal Kettle
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

You should be fine but I'd turn it once a week if it was me. I'd also be busting ass to get another 5g to fill it.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

I thought about wrapping it or waxing it....
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'd also dilute a bit, 130 is kinda high. Not played too much in a barrel, but in glass/ss I like as low as 110. 125 is kinda modern market standard, but all old timers did and modern artisans are doing lower barrel entries.

Maybe double check, but the low humidity will make the proof go up while aging anyway, right?

5 gallons 130 = 6 gallons at 110, and you're a lot closer to topping it up as well.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Dilluting did come to mind Zap. I really like my Bourbon from "modern" barrel proof strengths to a minimum of 50% abv so it's on the radar, thanks for reminding me. I might just mash a quick 60 gal and get another 3 gal after cuts.... I don't have the time for a full 5. Too many runs and I'll never drink that much... even in a few years.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Longer age could be nice and as you make runs you can add back to the barrel for a nice blend while you drink the goodies you took out. Just a thought :thumbup:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Lil solera action going on....

Actually I was planning to drain it in 4-6 months... bottle that whiskey then toss 10 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout in.... few weeks later, remove that and toss in 10g single malt whiskey....4-6 months later remove that and dump in 10 gallons of Scotch Ale.

I have big plans