Heads in Your Thumper

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heads in Your Thumper

Post by sltm1 »

There's been some debate as to whether to add heads as well as tails to your thumper. Now, this isn't empirical evidence, but I hold to it. I pose this suggestion for your learned deliberation. Heads are a vehicle for not only alcohol, but for that un-measurable quality of flavor, as well. If you go order steak and ask for some "au jous" to dip it in, are you not enhancing the flavor because of a second bit of flavor in the dipping carafe? Heads which holds both the most alcohol and incidentally, flavor is your "dipping sauce" !!! My only real proof of theory is that folks who know my UJ and others who don't where the whiskey comes from, all enjoy what I make...nothin' like a good drop among friends !!! Salute !
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Heads in Your Thumper

Post by jb-texshine »

Makes sense in a way. I charge low wines and a bit of backset in my thumper for whiskey and get a lot of flavor that way but for grain I would think most of the flavor would be in the tails and the opposite for fruits. Either way I'm good running low wines,lol.
Have fun.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Antler24
Trainee

Re: Heads in Your Thumper

Post by Antler24 »

I load the thumper with about 3 gallon of wash and 1-1.5g of heads and tails from the previous run.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there