Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Treatment and handling after you are done distilling.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby phanmo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:07 pm

I was screwing around, experimenting with pastis flavouring, got my girlfriend to taste and she thought it tasted more like Jagermeister. We did a side by side tasting and what I made is almost identical to Jager!!!
Unfortunately I didn't keep track of quantities but I'll give a list of ingredients here:

green anis seed
fennel seed
star anis
a couple of allspice berries (took the allspice out after a few days)
a handful of sprigs of fresh thyme
A teaspoon of so of liquorice syrup
sweetened with clover honey
just a touch of maple syrup

I've coloured it with homemade dark caramel but I'm not sure how to get the almost black colour of the real stuff. I have the taste and the sweetness I want so I'm reluctant to add more caramel.
Anybody have any suggestions for a really dark brown without adding too much flavour?
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
User avatar
phanmo
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby The Chemist » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 am

Creomulsion? Vick's Formula 44? :lol:
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
User avatar
The Chemist
Trainee
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby wineo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:04 pm

If it tastes right,I wouldnt worry about the color.I have made ameretto,and it tastes like its supposed to,but its not as dark as the storebought stuff.I dont worry about it.
User avatar
wineo
Distiller
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Dnderhead » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 pm

They used to have "black" lickerish you could git at drugstore (used as a flavoring) I do not know if it is still available
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13669
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby phanmo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:08 pm

I've been thinking about it and I might try using a drop or two of both blue and green food colouring. I just hope I can find it here in France. Reminds me of when I was youger and dabbled in other illegal mind altering substances.... We used to dye our Kraft Dinner blue! I've had my fair share of green beer on St Paddy' day(a lamentable custom; I've even had green bagels!).
Has anybody used food colouring for anything? Any possible problems known?

If I can't find anything that works I'm gonna follow your advice Wineo; after all, I just want the taste, colour is secondary!!

Dnderhead, I don't know if it'll be available here, but I'll ask at the pharmacy; they already think I'm a freak! Alternatively I'll ask at the health food store as well, at least there they're accustomed to people asking strange food/drink related questions.
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
User avatar
phanmo
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Dnderhead » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:23 am

They also have lickerish for beer but do not know what color it is
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13669
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby theholymackerel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 am

Brewin' licorice is used mainly for flavour.

It's used in such small ammounts that it doesn't provide much (if any) colour.
User avatar
theholymackerel
Distiller
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:39 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Chev » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 pm

I would just try the food coloring *in water first* to see how dark it gets. Did you thicken it at all with Glycerine to give it that Jager consistency?
User avatar
Chev
Novice
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby phanmo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 am

It's about the same thickness as Jager; I didn't use glycerine, the honey I used for sweetener thickens it enough. It has about the same robe when compared side by side with real Jager. I used caramel to try and colour but it's not dark enough and I don't want to change the taste by adding more. I'm gonna test the colour first in apricot juice because it seems to be about the same colour as what I have now.
I'll update as soon as I've gotten around to it.
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
User avatar
phanmo
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:57 pm

AS long as it does not turn out like it did when I was a kid -we was making our own "cool aide "and colored water up nicely but one problem the food coloring was not "color fast" in the water everything including us turned color ( of course ma knew what we were in to) :roll:
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13669
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby phanmo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 am

Just to update.... I used a couple of unripe walnuts cut into quarters. Less than 24 hours and it was black as sin... I filtered it 3 or 4 times after letting it settle and now it's almost exactly the same colour as the real Jager... The unripe walnut has a taste that's pretty nice too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's one ofthe ingredients in the real stuff.
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
User avatar
phanmo
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby moontester » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:29 pm

wineo wrote:If it tastes right,I wouldnt worry about the color.I have made ameretto,and it tastes like its supposed to,but its not as dark as the storebought stuff.I dont worry about it.


Hey wineo, what ameretto recipe did you use? I'm wanting to try another. I
tried the
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups vodka 80 proof
2 tablespoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

combine water and sugars and heat bring to boil over med heat until all are desolved.
Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 min. Stir in spirit, almond and vanilla extracts.

I would love to know other ameretto recipes
User avatar
moontester
Novice
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby blanikdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm

phanmo wrote:Just to update.... I used a couple of unripe walnuts cut into quarters. Less than 24 hours and it was black as sin... I filtered it 3 or 4 times after letting it settle and now it's almost exactly the same colour as the real Jager... The unripe walnut has a taste that's pretty nice too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's one ofthe ingredients in the real stuff.



That's interesting. Eurostiller gave me a recipe for his family Walnut Liquour which I'm going to try as soon as the walnuts around here are big enough. Had it turned black on me I may have chucked it. Although, my latest attempt at horse feed whisky smelt disgusting and I've decided to go through the whole process, so maybe I would keep a black brew afterall. :roll:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
User avatar
blanikdog
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:55 pm
Location: Bullamakanka, Oztrailya

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby serkanulge » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:07 am

Hi, It would be great if you can add the quantities of the ingredients so we can work on the taste and color.

phanmo wrote:I was screwing around, experimenting with pastis flavouring, got my girlfriend to taste and she thought it tasted more like Jagermeister. We did a side by side tasting and what I made is almost identical to Jager!!!
Unfortunately I didn't keep track of quantities but I'll give a list of ingredients here:

green anis seed
fennel seed
star anis
a couple of allspice berries (took the allspice out after a few days)
a handful of sprigs of fresh thyme
A teaspoon of so of liquorice syrup
sweetened with clover honey
just a touch of maple syrup

I've coloured it with homemade dark caramel but I'm not sure how to get the almost black colour of the real stuff. I have the taste and the sweetness I want so I'm reluctant to add more caramel.
Anybody have any suggestions for a really dark brown without adding too much flavour?
serkanulge
Novice
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 am

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby phanmo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 am

I would love to be able to give you measurements, but I was just screwing around and didn't write anything down except the names of the ingredients. I've become convinced that unripe walnuts are the key to the colouring, and add a flavour that I'm pretty sure I detect in the original. I haven't been doing anything since I moved about six months ago so I haven't made any progress in recipe development.
Cheers!
EDIT:
I just found this on wikianswers:
"Jagermeister has 56 ingredients, which are a combination of roots, herbs, flowers, fruits, barks and other forms. A proportion of the ingredients can be viewed at the distillery, others can be guessed at, but the recipe is a strongly guarded secret. In the stores at Wolfenbutel there is a room containing the most secret ingredients, the ordering, delivery and handling of which is strictly limited to two or three people. I am aware of a number of the important ingredients, but bear in mind some of these plants may feature as flower or seed or root, or a combination thereof. I am fairly sure of these:
Ginger, orris, galengal, lovage, chiretta, angelica, elecampane, hyssop, pomerance, camomile, lavender, coriander, pepper, cloves, star anis, allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, fennel, bitter orange, rose hips, quinine, licorice, tumeric, mace, saffron.

These are possibles: marshmallow, yarrow, burdock, curcuma, grains of paradise, cubeb, wintergreen, cassia, betony, purslane, borage, sandalwood.

Deer blood is a myth. Caramel is used as a sweetener. Your real problem is getting the proportions right. "

It's seems I was missing an ingredient or two!!!

Cheers!
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
User avatar
phanmo
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby oishkapipik » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 am

Little help with the unripe walnut issue to blacken my brew:

1. Did you mean take an unripe walnut that still contains the soft skin around the hard shell. Which part is used. That soft skin that surrounds the hard shell? The hard shell? Or the green walnut inside the hard shell?

Thank you for your help.

Besides the ingredients you suggested I also added lemon leaves, Jasmine flowers, and Juniper berries(only one). Fantastic taste, All I need help on is the color
oishkapipik
Novice
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Dnderhead » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:15 am

your going back but they were using the green nuts, before they develop. this is the whole thing.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 13669
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: up north

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Acrolein » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:14 am

One of the usual ingredients in Kräuterlikör that I didn't see mentioned is gentian root. Imparts a distinctive bitterness and soothes the stomach. You can taste it in Jager but I've no idea of the concentration and too much could render it undrinkable. Good luck and keep us informed, I love these drinks (even though my German professor would mock all of us for drinking what she considered a "Grandma drink") and need to try making it someday.
Acrolein
Novice
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 am
Location: East Tennessee

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby cptnel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Combine sugar with one cup vodka and heat till dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.Just the right color. Pour 1/3 fake Jag with 2/3 Redbull and you tell me. One third the price and I like it. Hope you who try it do too! Close and easy enough when the real stuff isn't around.
cptnel
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby cptnel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:29 am

It is 1/8 tsp orange extract. Thanks
cptnel
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Bushman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:17 am

I was given a bottle in Norway for my birthday and haven't tried it yet but when I googled Jagermeister it says it is made from 51 different spices. I have been trying to find Balder also a liqueur but from Norway and it was made from 51 spices. I was going to buy a bottle at the duty free upon leaving but time did not allow it so I will give this a taste tonight and see if it is similar. If it has 51 spices I think the comment of an exact clone being impossible is probably correct but getting close and finding something you like to me is more important.
"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is" Billy Carter

The only person you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday!
User avatar
Bushman
Moderator
 
Posts: 6809
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest if not on the water boating

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Odin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 am

I love Jägermeister! Especially when served very cold. On wintersports, we used to put a bottle outside in the snow ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
User avatar
Odin
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 am
Location: Three feet below sea level

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Bushman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 am

cptnel wrote:I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Combine sugar with one cup vodka and heat till dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.Just the right color. Pour 1/3 fake Jag with 2/3 Redbull and you tell me. One third the price and I like it. Hope you who try it do too! Close and easy enough when the real stuff isn't around.

Are you sure you want to heat the vodka I realize it is only 1/4th of the recipe?
"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is" Billy Carter

The only person you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday!
User avatar
Bushman
Moderator
 
Posts: 6809
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest if not on the water boating

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby cptnel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 am

The heat seems to dissolve the brown sugar totally. Without the heat the liquor seemed cloudy and a bit grainy.Just had some last night. Saved the money and enjoyed it but real Jag is truly a treat to enjoy when extra cash is available.
cptnel
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby cptnel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:45 am

Bushman wrote:I was given a bottle in Norway for my birthday and haven't tried it yet but when I googled Jagermeister it says it is made from 51 different spices. I have been trying to find Balder also a liqueur but from Norway and it was made from 51 spices. I was going to buy a bottle at the duty free upon leaving but time did not allow it so I will give this a taste tonight and see if it is similar. If it has 51 spices I think the comment of an exact clone being impossible is probably correct but getting close and finding something you like to me is more important.


Great statement Bushman!. Sometimes it just comes down to what you enjoy.
cptnel
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby still livin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm

what type of bitters do you use? I did a search and theirs tons of flavors from orange to habanero? I'd like to try this.
User avatar
still livin
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby bcboyz86 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Are they just regular ass bitters? Like what you would make drinks with? Or a special kind of bitters?
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
bcboyz86
Bootlegger
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby Grappa-Gringo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 am

Where do you get unripened wallnuts this time of year???
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
User avatar
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Postby dakotasnake » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 am

Bushman wrote:
cptnel wrote:I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Combine sugar with one cup vodka and heat till dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.Just the right color. Pour 1/3 fake Jag with 2/3 Redbull and you tell me. One third the price and I like it. Hope you who try it do too! Close and easy enough when the real stuff isn't around.

Are you sure you want to heat the vodka I realize it is only 1/4th of the recipe?

i no this is an older thread, just want to save it to try this winter, if the bushman likes it ill give it a shot
today marks the dawn of a new error.
User avatar
dakotasnake
Trainee
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:38 am
Location: south dakota


Return to Flavoring and Aging



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests