Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

phanmo
Novice

Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Post by phanmo »

I was screwing around, experimenting with pastis flavouring, got my girlfriend to taste and she thought it tasted more like Jagermeister. We did a side by side tasting and what I made is almost identical to Jager!!!
Unfortunately I didn't keep track of quantities but I'll give a list of ingredients here:

green anis seed
fennel seed
star anis
a couple of allspice berries (took the allspice out after a few days)
a handful of sprigs of fresh thyme
A teaspoon of so of liquorice syrup
sweetened with clover honey
just a touch of maple syrup

I've coloured it with homemade dark caramel but I'm not sure how to get the almost black colour of the real stuff. I have the taste and the sweetness I want so I'm reluctant to add more caramel.
Anybody have any suggestions for a really dark brown without adding too much flavour?
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
The Chemist
Trainee

Re: Possible Jagermeister recipe. Colouring advice?

Post by The Chemist »

Creomulsion? Vick's Formula 44? :lol:
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If it tastes right,I wouldnt worry about the color.I have made ameretto,and it tastes like its supposed to,but its not as dark as the storebought stuff.I dont worry about it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

They used to have "black" lickerish you could git at drugstore (used as a flavoring) I do not know if it is still available
phanmo
Novice

Post by phanmo »

I've been thinking about it and I might try using a drop or two of both blue and green food colouring. I just hope I can find it here in France. Reminds me of when I was youger and dabbled in other illegal mind altering substances.... We used to dye our Kraft Dinner blue! I've had my fair share of green beer on St Paddy' day(a lamentable custom; I've even had green bagels!).
Has anybody used food colouring for anything? Any possible problems known?

If I can't find anything that works I'm gonna follow your advice Wineo; after all, I just want the taste, colour is secondary!!

Dnderhead, I don't know if it'll be available here, but I'll ask at the pharmacy; they already think I'm a freak! Alternatively I'll ask at the health food store as well, at least there they're accustomed to people asking strange food/drink related questions.
"I look up to the heavens for a ray of hope to shine; and there it is in neon: Liquor, Beer and Wine"
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

They also have lickerish for beer but do not know what color it is
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Brewin' licorice is used mainly for flavour.

It's used in such small ammounts that it doesn't provide much (if any) colour.
Chev
Novice

Post by Chev »

I would just try the food coloring *in water first* to see how dark it gets. Did you thicken it at all with Glycerine to give it that Jager consistency?
phanmo
Novice

Post by phanmo »

It's about the same thickness as Jager; I didn't use glycerine, the honey I used for sweetener thickens it enough. It has about the same robe when compared side by side with real Jager. I used caramel to try and colour but it's not dark enough and I don't want to change the taste by adding more. I'm gonna test the colour first in apricot juice because it seems to be about the same colour as what I have now.
I'll update as soon as I've gotten around to it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

AS long as it does not turn out like it did when I was a kid -we was making our own "cool aide "and colored water up nicely but one problem the food coloring was not "color fast" in the water everything including us turned color ( of course ma knew what we were in to) :roll:
phanmo
Novice

Post by phanmo »

Just to update.... I used a couple of unripe walnuts cut into quarters. Less than 24 hours and it was black as sin... I filtered it 3 or 4 times after letting it settle and now it's almost exactly the same colour as the real Jager... The unripe walnut has a taste that's pretty nice too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's one ofthe ingredients in the real stuff.
moontester
Novice

Post by moontester »

wineo wrote:If it tastes right,I wouldnt worry about the color.I have made ameretto,and it tastes like its supposed to,but its not as dark as the storebought stuff.I dont worry about it.
Hey wineo, what ameretto recipe did you use? I'm wanting to try another. I
tried the
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups vodka 80 proof
2 tablespoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

combine water and sugars and heat bring to boil over med heat until all are desolved.
Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 min. Stir in spirit, almond and vanilla extracts.

I would love to know other ameretto recipes
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

phanmo wrote:Just to update.... I used a couple of unripe walnuts cut into quarters. Less than 24 hours and it was black as sin... I filtered it 3 or 4 times after letting it settle and now it's almost exactly the same colour as the real Jager... The unripe walnut has a taste that's pretty nice too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's one ofthe ingredients in the real stuff.

That's interesting. Eurostiller gave me a recipe for his family Walnut Liquour which I'm going to try as soon as the walnuts around here are big enough. Had it turned black on me I may have chucked it. Although, my latest attempt at horse feed whisky smelt disgusting and I've decided to go through the whole process, so maybe I would keep a black brew afterall. :roll:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
serkanulge
Novice

Post by serkanulge »

Hi, It would be great if you can add the quantities of the ingredients so we can work on the taste and color.
phanmo wrote:I was screwing around, experimenting with pastis flavouring, got my girlfriend to taste and she thought it tasted more like Jagermeister. We did a side by side tasting and what I made is almost identical to Jager!!!
Unfortunately I didn't keep track of quantities but I'll give a list of ingredients here:

green anis seed
fennel seed
star anis
a couple of allspice berries (took the allspice out after a few days)
a handful of sprigs of fresh thyme
A teaspoon of so of liquorice syrup
sweetened with clover honey
just a touch of maple syrup

I've coloured it with homemade dark caramel but I'm not sure how to get the almost black colour of the real stuff. I have the taste and the sweetness I want so I'm reluctant to add more caramel.
Anybody have any suggestions for a really dark brown without adding too much flavour?
phanmo
Novice

Post by phanmo »

I would love to be able to give you measurements, but I was just screwing around and didn't write anything down except the names of the ingredients. I've become convinced that unripe walnuts are the key to the colouring, and add a flavour that I'm pretty sure I detect in the original. I haven't been doing anything since I moved about six months ago so I haven't made any progress in recipe development.
Cheers!
EDIT:
I just found this on wikianswers:
"Jagermeister has 56 ingredients, which are a combination of roots, herbs, flowers, fruits, barks and other forms. A proportion of the ingredients can be viewed at the distillery, others can be guessed at, but the recipe is a strongly guarded secret. In the stores at Wolfenbutel there is a room containing the most secret ingredients, the ordering, delivery and handling of which is strictly limited to two or three people. I am aware of a number of the important ingredients, but bear in mind some of these plants may feature as flower or seed or root, or a combination thereof. I am fairly sure of these:
Ginger, orris, galengal, lovage, chiretta, angelica, elecampane, hyssop, pomerance, camomile, lavender, coriander, pepper, cloves, star anis, allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, fennel, bitter orange, rose hips, quinine, licorice, tumeric, mace, saffron.

These are possibles: marshmallow, yarrow, burdock, curcuma, grains of paradise, cubeb, wintergreen, cassia, betony, purslane, borage, sandalwood.

Deer blood is a myth. Caramel is used as a sweetener. Your real problem is getting the proportions right. "

It's seems I was missing an ingredient or two!!!

Cheers!
oishkapipik
Novice

Post by oishkapipik »

Little help with the unripe walnut issue to blacken my brew:

1. Did you mean take an unripe walnut that still contains the soft skin around the hard shell. Which part is used. That soft skin that surrounds the hard shell? The hard shell? Or the green walnut inside the hard shell?

Thank you for your help.

Besides the ingredients you suggested I also added lemon leaves, Jasmine flowers, and Juniper berries(only one). Fantastic taste, All I need help on is the color
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

your going back but they were using the green nuts, before they develop. this is the whole thing.
Acrolein
Novice

Post by Acrolein »

One of the usual ingredients in Kräuterlikör that I didn't see mentioned is gentian root. Imparts a distinctive bitterness and soothes the stomach. You can taste it in Jager but I've no idea of the concentration and too much could render it undrinkable. Good luck and keep us informed, I love these drinks (even though my German professor would mock all of us for drinking what she considered a "Grandma drink") and need to try making it someday.
cptnel
Novice

Post by cptnel »

I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Combine sugar with one cup vodka and heat till dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.Just the right color. Pour 1/3 fake Jag with 2/3 Redbull and you tell me. One third the price and I like it. Hope you who try it do too! Close and easy enough when the real stuff isn't around.
cptnel
Novice

Post by cptnel »

It is 1/8 tsp orange extract. Thanks
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I was given a bottle in Norway for my birthday and haven't tried it yet but when I googled Jagermeister it says it is made from 51 different spices. I have been trying to find Balder also a liqueur but from Norway and it was made from 51 spices. I was going to buy a bottle at the duty free upon leaving but time did not allow it so I will give this a taste tonight and see if it is similar. If it has 51 spices I think the comment of an exact clone being impossible is probably correct but getting close and finding something you like to me is more important.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I love Jägermeister! Especially when served very cold. On wintersports, we used to put a bottle outside in the snow ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cptnel wrote:I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Combine sugar with one cup vodka and heat till dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.Just the right color. Pour 1/3 fake Jag with 2/3 Redbull and you tell me. One third the price and I like it. Hope you who try it do too! Close and easy enough when the real stuff isn't around.
Are you sure you want to heat the vodka I realize it is only 1/4th of the recipe?
cptnel
Novice

Post by cptnel »

The heat seems to dissolve the brown sugar totally. Without the heat the liquor seemed cloudy and a bit grainy.Just had some last night. Saved the money and enjoyed it but real Jag is truly a treat to enjoy when extra cash is available.
cptnel
Novice

Post by cptnel »

Bushman wrote:I was given a bottle in Norway for my birthday and haven't tried it yet but when I googled Jagermeister it says it is made from 51 different spices. I have been trying to find Balder also a liqueur but from Norway and it was made from 51 spices. I was going to buy a bottle at the duty free upon leaving but time did not allow it so I will give this a taste tonight and see if it is similar. If it has 51 spices I think the comment of an exact clone being impossible is probably correct but getting close and finding something you like to me is more important.
Great statement Bushman!. Sometimes it just comes down to what you enjoy.
still livin
Novice

Post by still livin »

what type of bitters do you use? I did a search and theirs tons of flavors from orange to habanero? I'd like to try this.
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Are they just regular ass bitters? Like what you would make drinks with? Or a special kind of bitters?
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Where do you get unripened wallnuts this time of year???
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Post by dakotasnake »

Bushman wrote:
cptnel wrote:I too tried to make some Jagermeister and came up with a possible clone. I think to get the exact flavor is a dream but this was good and my wife and I seem to acquired a taste for it more than the real stuff.So here we go......

1 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs root beer extract
1 tsp anise extract
1/8 orange extract
2 Tbs bitters
4 cups vodka

Are you sure you want to heat the vodka I realize it is only 1/4th of the recipe?
i no this is an older thread, just want to save it to try this winter, if the bushman likes it ill give it a shot
today marks the dawn of a new error.
widget
Novice

Post by widget »

I followed this recipe. Wow, this is good! :clap:

I made up the 'syrup' on the stove without any booze in it. Came out the ~400ml. Mixed in 600ml 85%. Came out tasting like Overproof Jag.

:crazy: Took me like a MONTH to find all of the extracts.