Apple Pie moonshine storage

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stig
Novice

Apple Pie moonshine storage

Post by Stig »

Not sure if this is best place for this question? Made apple pie moonshine mixture with my liquor. Trying to find out the best way to store for longevity. Internet has everything from a closet for a few months to a freezer. Made a lot so not wanting to fill up my fridge. What do you suggest and for how long is it good before being undrinkable? (Even this i am unsure of...does it go rancid?)
Canned in ball jars but due to low temp did not get a great sealing "ping". All are down now but some i pushed and they stayed down.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple Pie moonshine storage

Post by Expat »

Mods will decide if it's an appropriate location.

Re the apple pie, so long as the alcohol content is above 10-15%, there can be no growth of bacteria. Generally the problem is keeping any of my AP long enough to store lol.

My biggest concern would be if you're using cinnamon sticks then it might start to get overpowering after a long sit. Though you'll want to experiment with what tastes good to you.

I'd apply general storage rules; cool (70-75f), dry and no UV light.
Should last nearly forever I'd think.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by BlackStrap »

Hello Stig;

Personally I store my apple pie in dark quiet undisturbed space, and have had the mixture in quart mason jars for a year. (sediment falls out of suspension, but a good shake fixes that) So far things still taste good, and seem to get smoother with time... I do not know how much time, these won't last much longer. (Nothing has ever gone rancid on me)

A way I have found to seal your jars is to fill a bucket with hot tap water, crack your lids open, and leave loose but on the jars (this allows for expansion, but helps keep the alcohol in while things are warming up) only let the hot water up to the about 1/2 below the top of the jar.
After a couple mins pick up the jar tighten the lid and gently swirl the contents around, repeat the process of swirling and tightening loosening and tightening the lids till the jars and contents feel warm to the touch.
Then tighten the lids, from here you can place them in a fridge, or if cool outside let them seal up naturally.

BlackStrap
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Expat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 am Mods will decide if it's an appropriate location.

Re the apple pie, so long as the alcohol content is above 10-15%, there can be no growth of bacteria. Generally the problem is keeping any of my AP long enough to store lol.

My biggest concern would be if you're using cinnamon sticks then it might start to get overpowering after a long sit. Though you'll want to experiment with what tastes good to you.

I'd apply general storage rules; cool (70-75f), dry and no UV light.
Should last nearly forever I'd think.
Thanks. I’m at 20% so should be good. Made some with no sticks so I will keep those for last.
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 am Hello Stig;

Personally I store my apple pie in dark quiet undisturbed space, and have had the mixture in quart mason jars for a year. (sediment falls out of suspension, but a good shake fixes that) So far things still taste good, and seem to get smoother with time... I do not know how much time, these won't last much longer. (Nothing has ever gone rancid on me)

A way I have found to seal your jars is to fill a bucket with hot tap water, crack your lids open, and leave loose but on the jars (this allows for expansion, but helps keep the alcohol in while things are warming up) only let the hot water up to the about 1/2 below the top of the jar.
After a couple mins pick up the jar tighten the lid and gently swirl the contents around, repeat the process of swirling and tightening loosening and tightening the lids till the jars and contents feel warm to the touch.
Then tighten the lids, from here you can place them in a fridge, or if cool outside let them seal up naturally.

BlackStrap
Great idea I will try that tonight.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 am Hello Stig;

BlackStrap
It SEEMS like an easier way to heat them up would be in the microwave.
The thread has been quiet for a few months, but for newcomers, take a look at Nuclear Aging for more information.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I make 4 gal of apple pie every years, and have some that are over 5 yrs now.. as to the flavor, it's like drinking nectar, really nice as an after dinner drink with the dessert and on..

My is at the 35% abv, filtered before being stored in litre size bottles in the wine room at 65*.. it's good at four or five months, but best after a few yrs..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Whatever you do, make sure you follow the rules of not using plastic (bottles, jugs, lids, etc). Before I joined this forum I made a batch after having a few bottles from a coworker. I made the mistake of storing it in the two 1-gallon plastic Apple Cider Jugs. The night I made the batch I drank a lot and got plenty drunk. No problem. The night after, same thing. Next weekend same thing. Didn't really drink anymore for a few months. The next time did, I got plenty drunk but was silly drunk and felt weird. When I got up to go to bed at the end of the night I literally got disoriented and vision damn near blacked out. The next day, I felt so sick and had a headache like no other. I dismissed it and thought it was a combination of drinking too much and getting older. A few weeks later I had just 2-3 cocktails and still felt off and had bade headache the next day. I through what remained out and figured something just went bad. Then I read on this forum all the warnings against using plastics in distilling and storage of likker. Then it hit me. I had plastic poisoning from them damn jugs! At best, my Apple Pie was 20-30 proof. But the plastic still leached into the likker. Take it from me, don't use any plastic when storing your Apple Pie, not even the lids. If using Mason Jars, use PTFE disc with them.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Stig wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 am Trying to find out the best way to store for longevity.
As long as the ABV is high enough it should store for years.......I've kept it for 2-3 years without any trouble.
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Thanks everyone. First batch aging quietly as we speak.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Stig wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:55 am Thanks everyone. First batch aging quietly as we speak.
That is your biggest problem. You drink the first batch, you age the second. :lol:
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

:D
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 am
Stig wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:55 am Thanks everyone. First batch aging quietly as we speak.
That is your biggest problem. You drink the first batch, you age the second. :lol:
Lol five gallons in this batch. Gonna last awhile even at my pace