Winter smoothing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Winter smoothing

Post by PoppaW »

So I had an idea that my rye and single malt had a great summer in the garage. They had great temperature swings and got good colour quickly using spirals. Now these are both sitting in the basement and are at a steady basement temperature. So my thought is that this summer the whisky got Oaked. Took on good colour and extracted all the oaky goodness. Now I wonder if the steady temps will age the whisky. Smooth it out. It’s not cycling in temp so should smooth out? I hope so. I still hope the rye is ready for Christmas. I brought it in as it’s below freezing now at night and some days it’s right at freezing in the day. We’ve had snow already! Yuk
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Winter smoothing

Post by CopperFiend »

I've never heard about lower temperatures 'smoothing' barrel aged spirits. Each time the temperature fluctuates, spirit passes into the wood (through the charcoal layer) and some of the more acrid compounds are filtered out into that charcoal. This is how I understood barrel aging makes spirits more 'smooth'. Hence a heavy char in a freshly made barrel makes white dog into smooth smooth bourbon.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

To avoid cold winter temperatures, my rum is aging in a controlled cabinet that ensures it doesn't fall below tropical temperatures.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Does your controlled cabinet cycle or just maintain?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It doesn't cycle.
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

PoppaW wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 pm So I had an idea that my rye and single malt had a great summer in the garage. They had great temperature swings and got good colour quickly using spirals. Now these are both sitting in the basement and are at a steady basement temperature. So my thought is that this summer the whisky got Oaked. Took on good colour and extracted all the oaky goodness. Now I wonder if the steady temps will age the whisky. Smooth it out. It’s not cycling in temp so should smooth out? I hope so. I still hope the rye is ready for Christmas. I brought it in as it’s below freezing now at night and some days it’s right at freezing in the day. We’ve had snow already! Yuk
I think your on the right track. You have extracted some good oak flavour but by giving it time to chill in the basement you are effectively aging it like they would in a colder climate like Scotland. Your oaking will slow down but you will give your whiskey time to age via micro-oxidization. Also your evaporation might slow down a bit also.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....