Rum run question?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Rum run question?

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I ran my first rum wash the other day. I have a combo/reflux column still and my intention was to do a stripping run and pump it through fast and carry over as much flavor as I could. I used Grandma's food grade original molasses and brown sugar. I had 3 wound copper mesh wraps in the column (which I've used in the past) but did not run any reflux. It started at 85% ABV and I took it down to 20%. The rum is good and clean tasting but not as much flavor as I expected. My question is- 170 proof is much higher than I expected with just passive reflux and running it fast. I have two batches currently in the fermenters and am wondering if I should continue to strip each similarly or should I just run it once with a little reflux and put it on some oak. My concern is if I strip it at that ABV and run a spirit run am I just going to be losing out on more flavor. 1 1/2 run? Thoughts?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum run question?

Post by bearriver »

If you mix your entire stripping run collections, it comes out at 170 proof?

Can we see the still?
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I thought I should have clarified that a little better. Since it was a stripping run I didn't collect in pint jars as usual. I guess if it was linear it would average about 55%. Not overly high I guess for a stripping run but I collected down to 20%. I know it's a newbie question but I guess I'm looking for a little validation. Continue as is or do a single run, run a little reflux up the ABV, put it on oak and call it good?

I could be questioning myself because I ran an all grain barley the other day with the intention of running it twice. Same set up etc. it came out at around 55% and I decided just to put it on oak as is. I'm a M.A.S.H. junkie and to quote Col Potter there are not enough OOOs in Smooth to describe it already. Am I going to benefit, other than volume reduction, by running it twice?
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

If you want flavour, then a pot still is best. I don't know if you can run yours as a pot still? But that would be the way to go.

I haven't seen your still, but it's always better to run twice IMHO. Removes a lot of impurities left over from the strip run.

With my pot still, even after triple distilling, I still have loads of flavour.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Can you take the packing out? That would make it more like a pot still
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

Thanks guys,
I'll remove the copper mesh rolls for the next runs and run it twice.
I could also significantly reduce the height of the column although it's kind of nice having that little distance if I get a some foaming.
I have found that cooking spray with the anti foaming agents works great for addressing that.
Thanks again