Crow's Rum

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Crow's Rum

Postby thecroweater » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:12 am

I just put down a rum, first one in a while so I thought I would run though how I do it although it is very similar to how many others go about it.
This is for an 80 litre fermenter so around say a 74 litre ferment (19 to 20 gal)
8 ltrs (2.1 gal) stock feed molasses
7 kg (15.5 lbs) of raw (turbinado) sugar
4 tblspoons of tomato paste
Teaspoon of Epson salts
Approx 50 to 100 grams (1.8 to 3.5 oz of dry bakers yeast
Method

OK so I put about 10 or so litres (aprox 3 gal) of hot water in and ladle the molasses in a litre at a time turning with a paddle with each litre. Then I add another 10 or 15 litres (4 gal) of hot water and add the sugar using the same method stirring as I go. I them add the tomato paste, some guys use vitamin b tablets but I think the paste is a cheap all rounder and some of the molasses we get is stripped to blazes. I've found this small amount of paste contributes nothing to the flavour so I'm good with it. After giving it a good stir with the paddle I then top with hot or cold water to get a temp in the high 30s Celsius (around 96'f). Some guys will say that's a bit hot but not really for most bread yeasts and rum does fine to run hot. When I'm satisfied I'm in the temperature range I want I pour the dry yeast over top evenly, you can hydrate the yeast first but I don't bother for rum. I don't stir it in and at this stage seal it up. A bit of insulation will come in handy around the fermenter if the weather is cool as run likes it warm, its not the end of the world if its not though. I didn't add dunder to this but if ya do don't go overboard, I wouldn't use more than 1/8 of the total volume unless ya enjoy messing around with pH.
Last edited by thecroweater on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Buggered up metric to old timey conversion
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
Site Mod

Re: Crow's Rum

Postby Bushman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:00 am

Interesting, I believe the panela I purchase from Sugardaddy has enough nutrients. Never saw tomato paste added to any recipes other than birdwatchers. I bet the fermentation really takes off!
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby thecroweater » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:07 am

If it was 100% molasses I reckon it would be fine, turbinado has more nuets than white but more nuets than none doesn't necessarily mean enough. I find without nutrients added it struggles to finish.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
Site Mod

Postby LWTCS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 am

Yeah I can get Panela to finish with out any issues but the addition of some nutes does get it done a bit more aggressively.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Pesty » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I like seeing how others make their rum.

I’ve been on a rum thing for over a year now and just finished stripping the last batch.

I use two 6 gallon fermenters and in each I put
An entire jug of mother’s molasses, 2lbs of melted palm sugar, teaspoon of dap and then add 1.5 gal of warm to hot water. stir then add 4 gallons of water, aerate and top it off with some EDV 493 yeast and let it sit for 3 weeks or so until it tastes dry.

I want to move onto panella, just have to order up a big ole bag and get going.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Shine0n » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am

I just bought some fermaid o and think that I may use it on my next rum to see if there's a difference.

I use dark brown sugar because the stuff you used is quite expensive here and I haven't found a good source for it cheaper YET but very similar in the ways we make rum I see.

Do you strip or just a single run?
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby thecroweater » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

I use to double run, I use a plated column now. What ya want to look for is black strap, pretty sure I seen it in gallon jugs in Tractor supplies in WV so I expect it will be elsewhere. OK just done some checking and they sell evolved habits gal jug molasses for $10 using a Richmond VA zip, its about the same price at Cabela's too. Here's a link on how one guy deals with it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17190#p6857353
thecroweater
Site Mod

Postby Shine0n » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

That's the one I use, I've not had any problems at all using it even with the preservative. I think it's so minimal after adding all the water it doesn't affect the fermentation.

I could imagine that if one does an all molasses wash with it it may have an affect but I use 2 gal moll and 16-18lbs dark brown sugar foe a 17 gal ferment.

It'scheaper than fancy and blackstrap around herand until I buy that 55 gal drum of blackstrap I'm stuck using it.

I've also had no problems with nutrients doing it the way I do but like I said I have enough nutes to do 500 gallons of wash so I'll use it on the next ferment just to see the differences, I'm only using them on my meads so why not! lol

I work in Richmond and they have many restaurant supply places so I may look there for bulk moll.
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby panikry83 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Same one I use as well, works great and fairly cheap. My only "complaint" if the beefy smell that carries over in the distillate. Aging mellows it quite a bit and it turns out fine but, it's still off putting for the first few months. I don't think Id be able to drink it white as it reminds me of liquid jerky.

I add one gallon of molasses and 1 gallon of dunder to 3 gallons of hot water, 2 vitamin B complex tabs and 1 good amount of baker yeast, thats it. I only ferment rum in the summer when it hot outside. I leave it on the deck in the sun in the buckets and it's ready t go in 4-5 days.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Postby jb-texshine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Very close to mine,same nutrients though. Actually I make two rums, one mostly brown sugar and a gallon of molasses made up to 15 gallon. That one is for Apple pie. And then the other, 4 gallons of molasses made to 16 gallon. It's for ageing.
Both with Epsom salt,tomato paste,and oyster shell.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby thecroweater » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 pm

You could actually make that light rum a lot cheaper than using brown sugar by using mostly cane sugar and a bit of your molasses. I've made white rum using brown sugar but if you have molasses on hand why bother.
thecroweater
Site Mod

Postby NZChris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 am

According to my calculations (in NZ),it's always cheaper to use white cane sugar plus molasses than to use brown sugar to achieve the same ratio of molasses to sugar. A big difference is the quality of the molasses and Crow, being in the land of Oz, has easier access to affordable fine quality molasses than I have. I'm working on it. I have a gallon of rum, made from Bundaberg molasses, aging in a black glass demijohn not far from my left foot.
NZChris
Master Distiller

Postby jb-texshine » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 am

thecroweater wrote:You could actually make that light rum a lot cheaper than using brown sugar by using mostly cane sugar and a bit of your molasses. I've made white rum using brown sugar but if you have molasses on hand why bother.

Grocery store is closer than the feed mill by about 20 miles,and I never thought of using white sugar plus molasses. :oops: Bears playing with. :thumbup:
Last edited by jb-texshine on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby thecroweater » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 am

yes and no, I can get Bundaberg food grade molasses if I go down the big smoke (100+kms) for something like $25 for 15 litres, Googe used it all the time. I might be able to get it from a Ballarat catering joint which is not very far away but I can get food grade molasses at $20 for 25 litres and raw is $1.09 a kg to make the same stuff. This is not really adding sugar as much as replacing it. The guys up north like SBB and others that can stand on their roof and see the nearest refinery might scoff at us down here using raw sugar but what they get is nothing like our skun out bitter stock grade stuff. I've tried to do all molasses with it and the results were very sad indeed, I would say not worth the effort. Now my guy does have refining molasses that has a much higher brix but the big issue there is it has crystalized in his tanks so if he ever gets that out I'll have a super cheap supply of very high brix molasses.
thecroweater
Site Mod

Postby Shine0n » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 am

Offer to help him get it out and offer a bottle of the rum :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby thecroweater » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 am

Shine0n wrote:Offer to help him get it out and offer a bottle of the rum :thumbup:

on to it already :thumbup:
thecroweater
Site Mod

Return to Sugar