Ageing Dunder for Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Ageing Dunder for Rum

Post by rad14701 »

Daemientia wrote:I didn't use Turbo yeast - I used a rum distiller yeast blend. Took 7 days to ferment at 15%.
Do you still have the sachet it came in...??? I'd lay money on it being turbo yeast... What other than yeast and excessive nutrients would make it a "rum blend"...??? Don't be fooled by advertising hype... Next time use plain old bakers yeast as it is your best and cheapest choice for rum... In fact, bakers yeast is propagated using the same molasses that makes good rum and it works through molesses and brown sugar like crazy... :idea:
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Daemientia wrote:
wtfdskin wrote:I dont. It clears pretty well on its own, but i dont run immediately after its finished. It usually sits a while for flavor development. Always have a nice tight yeast bed on the bottom
Thanks for this! How long does it take to clear on average? ... How long is "a while"? [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It depends on how much time i have. With my job its hard to plan my runs. Earliest I have gone has been a couple weeks after finishing, longest was 6 months.

And I think the op asked about turbo clear. Ive seen it at my brew shop, mostly used for clearing wines if I'm not mistaken.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Daemientia wrote:So do you all use a clearing agent (Turbo Clear for instance) in your wash before distilling?
I've never cleared a rum and I don't know of any good reason to do that.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you can get a good rum wash to go clear you done something wrong.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Saltbush Bill wrote:If you can get a good rum wash to go clear you done something wrong.
Thats a fact. For distilling I define clear as good settling of solids, not transparency.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I get all my rum washes to clear.
The trick is to run them through my still twice :lol: :lol: :lol:
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Windy City wrote:I get all my rum washes to clear.
The trick is to run them through my still twice :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1
That's how it's done!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Then i unclear it with some oak [WINKING FACE]
Daemientia
Novice

Post by Daemientia »

rad14701 wrote:
Daemientia wrote:I didn't use Turbo yeast - I used a rum distiller yeast blend. Took 7 days to ferment at 15%.
Do you still have the sachet it came in...??? I'd lay money on it being turbo yeast... What other than yeast and excessive nutrients would make it a "rum blend"...??? Don't be fooled by advertising hype... Next time use plain old bakers yeast as it is your best and cheapest choice for rum... In fact, bakers yeast is propagated using the same molasses that makes good rum and it works through molesses and brown sugar like crazy... :idea:
I took a look and it doesn't say anything about Turbo on it or the website. I'll use normal yeast moving forward. Also going to drop the clearing agent and let them sit for a couple of weeks instead.. thanks a bunch! Setting up to ferment 2 more buckets today :)

D.
Daemientia
Novice

Post by Daemientia »

wtfdskin wrote:
Daemientia wrote:
wtfdskin wrote:I dont. It clears pretty well on its own, but i dont run immediately after its finished. It usually sits a while for flavor development. Always have a nice tight yeast bed on the bottom
Thanks for this! How long does it take to clear on average? ... How long is "a while"? [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It depends on how much time i have. With my job its hard to plan my runs. Earliest I have gone has been a couple weeks after finishing, longest was 6 months.

And I think the op asked about turbo clear. Ive seen it at my brew shop, mostly used for clearing wines if I'm not mistaken.
I'm going to drop the Turbo Clear and just let it settle for a few weeks. Thanks for the feedback!

D.
Daemientia
Novice

Post by Daemientia »

wtfdskin wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:If you can get a good rum wash to go clear you done something wrong.
Thats a fact. For distilling I define clear as good settling of solids, not transparency.
Yes this is what I meant. The Turbo Clear definitely did the job but I'll be letting it sit for a bit instead on future ferments.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Daemientia wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
I took a look and it doesn't say anything about Turbo on it or the website. I'll use normal yeast moving forward. Also going to drop the clearing agent and let them sit for a couple of weeks instead.. thanks a bunch! Setting up to ferment 2 more buckets today :)

D.
Ok... Many of the turbos don't actually say turbo on them... What defines them is the ingredients other than yeast... If they toss in a bunch of nutrients then it can be considered a turbo yeast because normally yeast is just, well, yeast... When they add nutrients they usually add excessive amounts...
Daemientia
Novice

Post by Daemientia »

rad14701 wrote:
Daemientia wrote:
rad14701 wrote:

D.
Ok... Many of the turbos don't actually say turbo on them... What defines them is the ingredients other than yeast... If they toss in a bunch of nutrients then it can be considered a turbo yeast because normally yeast is just, well, yeast... When they add nutrients they usually add excessive amounts...
Ahhh .. ok then this was definitely a Turbo. It has added nutrients to "enhance the rum flavor"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Daemientia wrote:Ahhh .. ok then this was definitely a Turbo. It has added nutrients to "enhance the rum flavor"
Bwahahahaha...!!! There's your sign...!!! When they said "nutrients to enhance flavor" they were lying out their ass because "nutrients" don't enhance flavor, "congeners" do and would merely be considered "ingredients"...

As I stated previously, plain old bakers yeast will serve you well for making rum, as well as most other spirits with only a few exceptions...
Daemientia
Novice

Post by Daemientia »

Quick question : What's a good starting point for the amount of dunder to add to your ferment? I was thinking of 20% to start and then play around on subsequent batches...
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

Daemientia.....I've followed Buccaneer Bob's recipe but increased the dunder to around 25% and have had good results
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Post by Guerilla Distillah »

I finally stumble onto a "Live Dunder" thread...I say that cuz so many of the others are dead threads from an age gone by. I am about to start my first pit but I'm going to try actually inoculating it. Mother in Law sending Priobiotics from a family drugstore in japan, Ordered emmenthaler culture online and will pick up Lacto culture from my local homebrew shop. 30 gallon barrel with a tap about 10" off the bottom, screw top cut out and cheesecloth taped neatly over the hole...First batch of 80/20 food grade moly/white sugar mash started at 1.115 and is down to 1.060 in 4 days...first rum run this weekend. will add 75% of dunder "haul" to pit and the other 25% back to mash vessel. I will inoculate cooled dunder with packets, pills and pouches and let the bacterial Olympics begin...

GD
casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

rad14701 wrote:plain old bakers yeast will serve you well for making rum, as well as most other spirits with only a few exceptions...
Fresh yeast, too. In large quantity. And it likes warmer temps, I ferment molasses at 30°-33°C with 1# per 50gal fresh Yeast.
However.... I do wonder.
Bread Yeast will need good aeration before pitching.
Wine Yeast is supposed to grow anaerobically and may be capable of higher attenuation. Working further into the SG for more alcohol. I have never tried it with Molly, yet...

But do bear in mind that all Yeast growth is inhibited by alcohol. Above 6%ABV most yeasts will slow and cease reproduction. Existing cells do soldier on splitting sugar to extract O2 but they're on their own.
If you put in too much sugar, more than Brix 15° 150g/l (18° to allow for unfermentable sugars in the Molly)
you will be pushing ABV above the 6-8% comfort zone then your 3-day fermentation will slow down for weeks. Better to add more water/less sucrose for a clean and fast fermentation
Last edited by casper the Irish on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

casper the Irish wrote:
rad14701 wrote:plain old bakers yeast will serve you well for making rum, as well as most other spirits with only a few exceptions...
Fresh yeast, too. In large quantity. And it likes warmer temps, I ferment molasses at 30°-33°C with 1# per 50gal fresh Yeast.
However.... I do wonder.
Bread Yeast will need good aeration before pitching.
Wine Yeast is supposed to grow anaerobically and may be capable of higher attenuation. Working further into the SG for more alcohol. I have never tried it with Molly, yet...

But do bear in mind that all Yeast growth is inhibited by alcohol. If you put in too much sugar, more than Brix 15° 150g/l (18° to allow for unfermentable sugars in the Molly) or ABV goes above 6-8% then your 3-day fermentation will slow down for weeks. Better to add more water/less sucrose for a clean and fast fermentation
And do several batches in the same time!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

In Britain and Ireland our refuse is collected in 225l /60gal plastic wheelie bins. A choice of colours, black, blue, green, brown. Apparently food safe, and they hold the heat of fermentation well. Not sure if it will work as a Dunder pit though. The lid will keep off rain, but the exposed area when open is small for wind blown bacteria.
Maybe if I try DW recipes with added yoghurt....
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a lot of rum aging now so I stopped my fermenting to move on to some other things (rye whiskey and birdwatchers). Thus I am going to keep a Dunder pit and see how it goes. I still have a lot of panela to give it ago again in about 6 months.