Best way to clear a sugar wash?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Best way to clear a sugar wash?

Postby aegean66 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:39 am

Hi there,

Was wondering the best way to clear a sugar wash when you are after a neutral spirit with no residual taste from the ferment? Seems to me that the most critical of all stages is getting the clearest possible wash from that fermented swamp of crap you end up with after a week or so.

Do you just let it settle for as long as possible? is there some "stuff" you can add that can seperate the crap from the crystal clear wash we want? and when the crap has settled to the bottom what is the best way to get the good stuff out without disturbing the crap? syphon? some other method?

Carbon? where does that fit into the above?, add it to the start of the ferment? liquid carbon? Has anyone heard of Turbo (gasp!) Clear? is it a good product?

Seems to me if I can nail this down I can be as happy as Barney (buuuuurrrrrp!)in a brewery
aegean66
Novice

Re: Best way to clear a sugar wash?

Postby maheel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 am

put the whole fermentor in the fridge if you can for a few days

i use a temp controlled fridge to ferment in (beer) and depending on the yeast set it around 12 0r 15 deg c while fermenting

then turn it to 2 deg c for a few days to drop out the yeast and crap, makes it very clear

you could also run it through a filter after it settles a bit
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=720

works the same on sugar washes :)
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby rad14701 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm

No wash needs to be crystal clear... They only need to have a majority of the suspended solids settled out and then racked (siphoned) into the boiler or into another vessel to await distillation... The term "clearing" is a relative term... No matter how discolored or sediment laden the wash is, the resulting spirits will always be clear unless your boiler pukes or you run deep into the tails and end up with fusel oils in your spirits...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Dnderhead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 pm

you can git stuff to help clear your wash but most do not use,just time and degassing maybe a bit of could .5* or so will help.
if you want you can git stuff from beer/wine home brewing shops. like bentonite,sparkollid,kitosol etc.. most are not worth it
as even with them you have to waite.so unless your doing wine/beer it is not worth it..
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby Sheamas_88 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:29 am

Sorry to necro the thread, but just wanted to point out that I use bentonite and it is a really good clearer. It takes a bit of stuffing around to use but you can clear a wash in as little as 2 hours using the stuff (although I would suggest waiting longer than that). I've used crash chilling, gelatin, bentonite and turbo clear. All of them except gelatin work really well on sugar washes, but for me, bentonite is the most cost effective.

I can get 1kg of bentonite for around $10 and I use about 10g per 20L wash. Thats only 10c a wash! If you would have to buy a fridge to use then you would probably have to do over 1000 washes for it to be more cost effective than bentonite. But of course the cheapest method is time, but if you like to clear a wash in about 24-48 hours then I would suggest bentonite.
Sheamas_88
Novice

Postby gtwarren1966 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 am

Cold crash it for a couple days, should clear it up. The yeast will floculate to the bottom.
gtwarren1966
Novice

Return to Sugar