Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Molasses

Post by Tater »

Types of Molasses and sugar content

There are three major types of cane molasses: unsulphured, sulphured and blackstrap.
There are also three major grades of cane molasses: first molasses, second molasses, and blackstrap molasses.
When sugar cane plant is harvested, the leaves are stripped. The juice is extracted from the cane by crushing or mashing, boiled to remove most of the water, and later processed to extract the sugar. The results of this first boiling and processing is first molasses, which has the highest sugar content because comparatively little sugar has been extracted from the juice. Unsulphered molasses is the finest quality. It is made from the juice of sun-ripened cane and the juice is clarified and concentrated. Barbados molasses is one type of unsulphered molasses, light in color and high in sucrose mainly sold for cooking, confectionery and in the production of rum.
Second molasses is created from a second boiling and sugar extraction, so there is less sugar. It has a darker color and a slightly bitter taste, or as some would say, a more pronounced flavor.
Further rounds of processing and boiling yield blackstrap molasses, used in the manufacture of cattle feed, as well as having other industrial uses. Blackstrap molasses is from the third boil and has a commercial value in the manufacture of cattle feed and other industrial uses. It is 55 to 65% sugar.
Sulphured molasses is made from green sugar cane that has not matured long enough and treated with sulphur fumes during the sugar extracting process.
Cooking Molasses is a blend of Fancy and Blackstrap Molasses. It is 59 to 69% sugar.
Cane Molasses is a by-product of the manufacture or refining of sucrose from sugar cane. Cane molasses purchased as an animal feed will contain more than 46% total sugars expressed as invert sugars. If its moisture content exceeds 27%, its density determined by double dilution must not be less than 79.50 Brix.

Beet Molasses is a by-product of the manufacture of sugar (sucrose) from sugar beets. It will have more than 48% total sugars expressed as invert and its density determined by double dilution must not be less than 79.50 Brix.
However, some molasses from sugar beets is so well processed it has virtually no sugar. So, if you are buying beet molasses, be sure to find out first if it is sweet.

Citrus Molasses is the partially dehydrated juices obtained from the manufacture of dried citrus pulp. It must contain not less than 45% total sugars expressed as invert and its density determined by double dilution must not be less than 71.00 Brix.

Starch Molasses is a by-product of dextrose manufacture from starch derived from corn or grain sorghums where the starch is hydrolyzed by enzymes and/or acid. It is at least 43% reducing sugars expressed as dextrose and not less than 50% total sugars expressed as dextrose.

The molasses trade commonly use the term Brix as an indicator of specific gravity and as illustrated in Table 4, represents an approximation of total solids content. Brix is a term originally initiated for pure sucrose solutions to indicate the percentage of sucrose in solution on a weight basis. However, in addition to sucrose, molasses contains glucose, fructose, raffinose and numerous non-sugar organic materials. Consequently, a Brix value for molasses will often differ dramatically from actual sugar or total solid content. In fact, Baker (1979) stated that, "With an impure sucrose solution such as molasses, Brix does not represent anything except a number denoting specific gravity and this cannot be related to either sucrose or dry matter content." Regardless, in the United States, Brix is used in the official definition of beet, citrus, starch and cane molasses.
Interestingly, molasses is also an excellent chelating agent. An object coated with iron rust placed for two weeks in a mixture of one part molasses to nine parts water will lose its rust due to the chelating action of the molasses. http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Tater
Admin

Re: Molasses Measurements of Molasses

Post by Tater »

MOLASSES IN FEEDS
DAVE CALDWELL
Westway Trading Corporation, Cedar Lake, IN
Molasses is the liquid residue left after condensing the sap of sugar cane or sugar
beets until sugar crystals precipitate. When all the crystals that can be formed
have been centrifuged off, the syrup can be as high as 85% dry matter and 90o
Brix. It is too viscous to be handled by ordinary mill equipment and is referred to
as high Brix molasses. The molasses is shipped in the concentrated high Brix
form to reduce freight costs. Upon arrival at a terminal distribution point, it will
be diluted down to (in the U.S.) a standard of 79.5o Brix, which is still quite thick,
but which is possible to handle in many mills.
The ASFCO (American Society of Feed Control Officials) definition of cane
molasses is:
“A63.7 Cane molasses is a by-product of the manufacture of
sucrose from sugar cane. It must contain not less than 43%
total sugars expressed as invert. If its moisture content
exceeds 27%, its density determined by double dilution must
not be less than 79.5o Brix.”
Measurements of Molasses
Brix is a measure of the specific gravity of a liquid. At 79.5o Brix the specific
gravity is 1.41, which is equivalent to 11.75 lb/gallon.
Brix is tested by diluting a representative sample of the molasses with an
equal weight of water, letting the mixture stand for about 20 minutes to allow
entrained air to escape, and observing the level of the liquid on the stem of the
hydrometer. The reading is then doubled to allow for the dilution with water.
Volume. Most liquid meters measure volume which is then converted to a weight
based on the density of the liquid. This can lead to errors in metering. If one is
using 79.5o Brix molasses, it would be logical to set the mill meter at 11.75 lb/
gallon. However, the result will be incorrect. Entrained air from the turbulence
of pumping and mixing will always be present in varying amounts, causing the
effective density of the molasses to be less than indicated by the Brix. Variance
can be 1/2 lb or more/gallon, or about 5%. The result will be less molasses
applied than intended. It is a good practice to adjust the meter by filling a container
of known volume. This should be done at least quarterly.
regulardaddy
Novice

Re: Molasses

Post by regulardaddy »

Just what I was looking for! ;)
I dream therefore I am
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

thanks,Perfect!
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

And from another source:

Molasses is a very thick, sticky syrup made from what's left over after sugar is made from sugar cane juice. Molasses can also be made from sugar beets, but sugar beet Molasses is mostly used for industrial purposes, such as animal feed, because is very bitter.

Fancy Molasses
This is the highest grade of Molasses. It is made from sugar cane juice that hasn't had any sugar extracted from it.

Barbados Molasses
(First Molasses, First Strike Molasses, Light Molasses, Mild Molasses, Sweet Molasses)
Barbados Molasses is made from the first boiling of the juice after sugar has been made. It is the lightest colour Molasses, as well as the sweetest and mildest tasting. This is the Molasses that you can use at the table, on pancakes or waffles or buttered bread. It is about 65% sucrose.

Dark Molasses
(Full Molasses, Second Molasses, Second Strike Molasses)Dark Molasses is made from sugar cane juice after it has been boiled a second time to extract yet more sugar. Use in cooking as an ingredient. This is the Molasses that is probably meant if a recipe just says "Molasses" without specifying. It is about 60% sucrose.

Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap Molasses is made from sugar cane juice after it has been boiled a third time to extract yet more sugar. By this point, there isn't enough sucrose left to make it taste sweet, so it almost tastes bitter. It is very thick, and because the sugar has been carmelized through each successive boiling, it is such a dark brown that it's almost black. It can be used for cattle feed, making alcohol or rum, or sold to consumers if sweetened with something such as corn syrup. It is the last grade of Molasses to be made. It is about 55% sucrose.

Cooking Molasses
This is a product made by some manufacturers. It is a blend of Fancy and Blackstrap. The blend makes a Molasses that has some of the more pronounced flavour and colour of Blackstrap, without the bitterness of Blackstrap.
regulardaddy
Novice

Post by regulardaddy »

Thank you for posting this.

RD
I dream therefore I am
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

This is kind of off topic but a very interesting history sidenote
I have worked in this area and on a hot summer day you can smell the molasses

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-grea ... od-of-1919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
drmoonshine
Novice

Post by drmoonshine »

would it be fare to say that in what we do we would use first molasses for the best outcome............. or do different setups ect call for different types of molasses
bedirahul
Novice

Post by bedirahul »

Hi,

I wanted to understand the trend in terms of availability of sulphur and unsulphur molasses in the US. Which of these two is prominently used in the US and what are their applications? Also, which is more expensive and why?
Thanks!
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i was wandering if this would work.. it seems prety inexpensive, and you could really stock up during hunting season.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CC8Q8wIwAg#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
PHANTOM SPIRITS
Novice

Post by PHANTOM SPIRITS »

I got a good deal on some deer malasses last year about 30gal. Im thanking of a big rum run.
whiskeytripping
Swill Maker

Post by whiskeytripping »

It has been a struggle lately for me to find the true blackstrap molasses. I bought some at the feed store but it had preservatives in it and couldn't be used, I have found horticural molasses, but it didn't say anything about 100% blackstrap, THE closest thing I've found at a reasonable price is grandmas brand molasses. I see stories of people getting it at feed stores but it seems like finding it without preservatives or sulphered, is just impossible for me. I live in Texas and we have PLENTY feed stores and you would think SOMEHOW I could find this :crazy: its really frustrating. One day if I try to go through Louisiana I will be able to locate some, I hear that's where all the sugar cane action is going on here nowadays. :wtf: until then, the quest will continue.

I have bought some panela, but I'm still looking for some darker REAL McCoy 100% pure blackstrap molasses :D
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

I just called a sugar mill in LA this morning. 70 cents a gallon! Will be making a road trip this weekend and pick up 30 gallons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
midnightmaraude
Swill Maker

Post by midnightmaraude »

I have my first batch ever going. 9lbs 6 bottles of fancy molasses and 5 pounds sugar to 6.5 water. Airlock is pounding away since doing it last night. Should be ready Friday Saturday to run.
Javelin225ho
Novice

Post by Javelin225ho »

How'd it turn out midnight?
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

So I was just curious as to the difference between using Brown Sugar, Molasses, and going for Pure Cane Juice. Seems like if you want the sugar can flavors and sugar...why not just use juice from the sugar cane instead of all the byproducts and left overs like molasses and brown sugars. I mean ya don't buy a house to use it for wood...so why do the same for sugar?
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Golden brown sugar produces a light rum, dark brown a med & blackstrap a dark rum. So use what you want to make. If you are making a neutral then use whatever is cheapest, probably white table sugar.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Well, I will be using some table molasses and dark brown sugar mix to make rum to start with, might change it up to hone in a flavor I'm after...but I mostly just have rum-n-cokes, so I might not need a great rum anyway. I was just wondering since all sugars(white and brown) and molasses comes from cane juice, why not use that? Or use the sugar that is made from drying sugar cane juice without processing it. It's not much more here at The Wal-Mart (.4cents more) per lbs for the un-processed sugar cane sugar... I was just curious if anyone had done it and what the outcome was. I will probably just do some different runs and see the difference myself...I mean what's the worst that could happen? I end up with too much rum?! Sounds like a problem I will welcome with open arms...and a big glass :)
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

Just picked up some sugar cane molasses from the feed store...it says it has 39.9% total sugars (invert)...packaged by Hippo Feeds...so do I need to modify Pugi's recipe in any way due to the somewhat lower total fermentable sugars? By the way I got 18kgs for $23. Canadian.
Swifty
Novice

Post by Swifty »

Last year I put a wash together that was really just a wild a** guess using some chipped dried molasses I found at the feed store. It errupted through my airlock and was one of my greatest messes ever. After I cleaned the bucket and all of the surrounding stuff in the garage, I really just forgot about it.

I was making an IPA yesterday, saw it , and cracked the lid to dump it when I paused to smell it. It smells like a rich rum that I'd be tickled to try. I think I'll run it sometime soon and see what I get.

Anyone else ever misplace or forget a wash then run it later? Is it something special or trash that I shouldn't waste my time with?

Thanks!
legalost
Novice

Post by legalost »

Has anyone ever uses deer feed molasses? It's at every tracker supply and rule king for about 10$.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Fe ... e-Molasses
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Don't know about what ingredients it may have besides molasses But that's a high price. I buy my feed molasses from feed mill for 1.15 to 1.30 a gallon.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

so where is the actual recipe for using molasses because i have a ton of it :moresarcasm:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bigbuck wrote:so where is the actual recipe for using molasses because i have a ton of it :moresarcasm:
I would suggest heading to the Tried and True Recipe forum and looking for Rum recipes because that's what molasses makes... :idea:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

bigbuck wrote:so where is the actual recipe for using molasses because i have a ton of it :moresarcasm:
Check the tried and true recipe section. There is 3 or 4 good rum recipes.

Rad beat me to it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Been looking around for bulk Molasses and brown sugar for some recipies.... best location for both was a bakery wholesaler... they may or maynot require you to set up an account as it is a wholesaler... or if you've got a friend in the restaurant biz, they could order it for you....
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

So maybe I'm just looking to hard/only at certain recipes...but I'm noticing a pattern of about 12-15lbs of sugar per 25L of wash...so say 48oz of molasses has about a kilo of sugar and I add 8lbs of sugar cane sugar, along with 4lbs of brown sugar it would bring me to that sugar range. So throwing in some DAP(I accidently used 5 Tbsp instead of Tsp...whoops, will this be a problem?) and 2 pigs Ed1118, and 1/4cup bakers yeast and its going nicely downstairs...this recipe doesn't sound like anything I've come accross, but does anyone who's had more experience think this will turn out ok? It kinda sounds like a med-dark rum recipe...but I think there's more "wing-ing it" than anything else...
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

so where would animal grade molasses fit in,or is it ever wise to use it??,been reading alot and still a little unclear on weather or not to use it
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

I don't know about animal grade, but I based the sugar content of my molasses off the label...added the goal sugar grams and converted it to lbs. This might not be the best method to judge the sugar content...but my washes have been goin good with a started SG at 1.102 and ending at about 1.000ish...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

bcboyz86 wrote:So maybe I'm just looking to hard/only at certain recipes...but I'm noticing a pattern of about 12-15lbs of sugar per 25L of wash...so say 48oz of molasses has about a kilo of sugar and I add 8lbs of sugar cane sugar, along with 4lbs of brown sugar it would bring me to that sugar range. So throwing in some DAP(I accidently used 5 Tbsp instead of Tsp...whoops, will this be a problem?) and 2 pigs Ed1118, and 1/4cup bakers yeast and its going nicely downstairs...this recipe doesn't sound like anything I've come accross, but does anyone who's had more experience think this will turn out ok? It kinda sounds like a med-dark rum recipe...but I think there's more "wing-ing it" than anything else...
Not real sure where you got the 12-15 lbs per 25L thing from. You should be more worried about the starting gravity and or potential ABV. Trying to keep it under 14% and 10% to 12% is even better.
Your wash as you stated has a potential of 15.2%. It sounds like it mite do ok. It has plenty of nutrients. :lol:

But if I were you. I would find one of the tried and true recipes. And work from it. Follow the recipe. If its not heavy enough for you. Add some molasses to it while taking away some of the other sugars. So the same potential ABV stays. If its to heavy for you replace some of the molasses with the other sugars. Same keeping the potential the same.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.