Putting a sugar wash through carbon

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SparraG
Novice

Putting a sugar wash through carbon

Post by SparraG »

Good evening everyone!

So lets put aside that I am doing evil things such as all sugar washes and using turbo yeast (just learnt better will be changing after I have used my left overs)

What I want to know is the carbon filter process takes so long I want to try and retrofit a device from my salt water aquarium. The devise is called a reactor and it's purpose is to have a media like carbon inside and with the use of a pump push water through the controlled carbon to filter out impurities in the water much the same as we do with a sugar wash.

Can I do this? the one I have can do 1000l per hour under compressed activated carbon, this should be enough to run through a wash, even 4 hours or so would do it by my understanding but would like to get the opinion of others before I do it.

Here is a link to youtube of the device I am talking about, not the one I have but same idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yba8hkQ6WC8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Look forward to the comments!

Regards,

Aaron
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Putting a sugar wash through carbon

Post by still_stirrin »

Don't.

The carbon filter will extract too much of the wash's flavor. Plus, it will become a sticky mess. The boiler will separate the solids good enough for you, so you don't need another filter before distilling.

And DON'T even think of using a reactor on the distillate. The high proof alcohol will act as a solvent on the plastic parts in the system turning your product into a poisonous goo.

Also, I recommend doing a lot of reading here on the forum (and forget the misinformation you learn(t) on youtube). Most of the stuff people have posted on youtube will mislead or even confuse you. This website is 10x, or more better than other sources for info. Youtube won't tell you how to fix a problem with your process like the forum members here will. Waste your time here reading instead of watching the clowns on that Discovery show or even on youtube. And you can start with the "spoon feed" link in my signature.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Eliminate the turbo yeast and you'll eliminate the need for filtering through activated carbon... :idea: Better protocols produce better wash which in turn produces better spirits... :ewink:
ericrichards420
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ericrichards420 »

I guess I don't understand why you would want to carbon filter your wash? Your not going to be drinking the wash. Like the guys above stated read more not only about stills but washes, and what not to use. Also look into reflux still designs.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Those Media reactors are make of plastic and not good for alcohol.

+ to what everyone else is saying about yeast etc.

Goto the tried and true section and pick a proven recipe.

Good clean ferment, with good cuts and you will not worry about carbon.

B
SparraG
Novice

Post by SparraG »

I must not have explained myself correctly, I did not want to do it to the wash but the distillate, that's my poor writing sorry :P

But thank you for the info! Was just an idea I had but didn't know what the reality would be.

Thankfully I have some time up my sleeve to keep reading while I use my last lot of turbo yeast.

Regards,

Aaron.
ericrichards420
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ericrichards420 »

As I'm sure you are aware of, reading your response as well as others. Turbo Yeast is frowned upon around here, using bakers yeast seems to be the norm. I would discontenue the use of turbo all together and you will be that much further ahead in your endeavor. This tip alone should solve the issue in needing the carbon all together. I hope this will help you and others.
SparraG
Novice

Post by SparraG »

Yeah quickly learnt turbo yeast is not the best! Said to the wife after my first reading session that we have been doing this wrong the whole time.

We were just going of the instructions the shop gave us.

Regards,

Aaron
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

SparraG wrote:We were just going of the instructions the shop gave us.
And I'd bet they hate the fact that we strip them of repeat customers through education... Pretty much the only help they offer is that which will help line their pockets... That's money you can spend more wisely elsewhere...
SparraG
Novice

Post by SparraG »

I actually think it is miss education on their behalf, they have given over alot of freebies in the last few years and some of significant value however they practice what they preach which is kind of disappointing knowing what I know now.

Ah well, on to bigger an better things for my distillate :clap:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Mate really? you are asking weather you should use a plastic filter designed for aquariums on filtering a solvent like ethanol. It really is expected that you read the very basic rules before asking questions which you quite obviously have not done. Please do read the rules we life by, there is quite a bit of info it is hoped ppl read first (mandatory reading) but the rules we live by this is an absolute must
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

As far as turbo yeast goes?
Yes there is some in my fridge... But seeing as I only run my rig on a Saturday or Sunday?
It's just the same to just make a few mashes on a Friday night/day am and use red star and just run it the next week - and repeat.
Unless you just have like 4-5 "spare hours" a few days after work and before bed to run some turbo wash?
You a luckier man than me.
Just as easy to do a few mashes a few nights a week constantly. Get yourself a bunch of 5gal buckets and do work son. You'll always have some at the ready.
BoydLabBuck
Novice

Post by BoydLabBuck »

I see a lot of comments about avoiding plastic for this process (which I understand), however the HD site describes multiple methods to filter using carbon and they ALL use plastic components.

http://homedistiller.org/distill/polish/methods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So which is it?

Making a copper or stainless setup for filtering seems costly and labor intensive, or maybe I'm just complicating things.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

BoydLabBuck wrote:I see a lot of comments about avoiding plastic for this process (which I understand), however the HD site describes multiple methods to filter using carbon and they ALL use plastic components.

http://homedistiller.org/distill/polish/methods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So which is it?

Making a copper or stainless setup for filtering seems costly and labor intensive, or maybe I'm just complicating things.
It has been stated many times in many threads that the parent site is owned by Tony Ackland.

the content of the parent site is unalterable by the current curators of this site and the original site.

It has also been stated many times that the content of the parent site should be filtered by

common sense and the more up to date information that has been developed since the original

site went dormant (so to speak). you see read read read a lot here. that is to help people understand

how to filter the junk info from the good, and there is junk info in every corner of this entire site

it is interspersed among a huge volume of other info some bad some good some priceless, and a lot

utterly worthless. that includes the parent site. that reading you are supposed to do will hopefully

help everyone decipher the good from the bad and the irrelevant.
be water my friend
UrToopid
Novice

Post by UrToopid »

This is all great information and I agree with the warnings against using plastic utterly. There was something else mentioned in the original request for info here that set a warning bell off in my head that Unless I skim-read past, hasn't been mentioned.
The originator here mentions using carbon filtering from a fish or aquarium store. I have to say that can be a tragic mistake. If you read the warning labels on MANY types of active carbon filter substrate materials, you will see most often that they are listed as Carcinogens; potentially cancer causing. Not just any active carbon should be used to clean up impurities associated with high sugar washes. There are some materials that are 100% safe. Make sure that whatever you use is one of those listed as such.
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it