Powdered blackstrap molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Powdered blackstrap molasses

Post by Beerswimmer »

I did a search and saw that people have used it before, but not lately. How has the powdered blackstrap worked for you lately?

I want to order some since it seems to be the most economical molasses I can buy, but I have never tried it.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/sweeteners-dis ... ounds.html
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
rubber duck
retired

Re: Powdered blackstrap molasses

Post by rubber duck »

I've had a hard time with it. I don't get the same ferment as light molasses. It is a good price though. I would use it in a 50/50 sugar ferment.

There is,somthing in there that prevents a ferment I think.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Hmmm....maybe later. I finally found a constant supply of pretty affordable molasses, Herdlife feed grade for $10 per gallon. I'm going to be pitching yeast on it in a few hours.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

If you have a united grocer or cash and carry in your area you can get 4 gallons of light unsulferated molasses for 45 dollars. It's makes a really nice light rum.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Yeah, I'm after a heavy rum. The local GFS used to sell blackstrap, but now only has fancy molasses. The Herdlife is the same as the Habitats molasses. I just finished my strip of 10 gallons of the GFS fancy molasses wash, I now have 25 gallons of Herdlife wash including almost all of the fancy wash dunder.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

Just finished some fermentation tests with the Bulk Foods dried molasses. One thing they don't tell you on the website - the product is 25% maltodextrin. This makes for a piss-poor yield. Even after a healthy 2 week ferment, it only went from 1.060 SG to 1.030 FG - about 4% ABV.

Bulk Foods dried molasses has approx 45 gravity points per pound, but remember 25% of that is unfermentable maltodextrin. In my opinion, $50 for 11 gallons of 4% wash isn't terribly cost-effective. Bulk foods also sells Sucanat (very similar to panela/piloncillo) and it readily ferments to below 0.000 FG. Double the yield for basically the same price - it's a much better value.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Walmart has this for $24/ 2.5 gallons. I ordered a couple jugs and am going to give it a whirl when I finish some sweet feed ferments.
b738a4bf-63a3-4101-a28c-36c9ce2a06ba_1.a202a19edeae71c08d1ae0c424d64726.jpeg
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

^^ It's good stuff!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

So I too have been interested in the powdered molasses from the OP (from Bulkfoods.com). A little while back I wrote this company asking for some information and this is what they sent me.
Powder facts
Powder facts

Doesn't seem to have any fermentation preventatives and can be scaled up or down for flavor/strength. Knowing the sugar strength could let you "dial in" the amount of sugar you are looking for as well as aim for a specific SG (..that one I would have to look up to be sure).) Silicon dioxide serves as an anticaking agent. It is used to prevent clumping. In supplements, it's used to prevent the various powdered ingredients from sticking together.)
3d0g wrote:Just finished some fermentation tests with the Bulk Foods dried molasses. One thing they don't tell you on the website - the product is 25% maltodextrin. This makes for a piss-poor yield. Even after a healthy 2 week ferment, it only went from 1.060 SG to 1.030 FG - about 4% ABV.

Bulk Foods dried molasses has approx 45 gravity points per pound, but remember 25% of that is unfermentable maltodextrin. In my opinion, $50 for 11 gallons of 4% wash isn't terribly cost-effective. Bulk foods also sells Sucanat (very similar to panela/piloncillo) and it readily ferments to below 0.000 FG. Double the yield for basically the same price - it's a much better value.
I think all blackstrap will have unfermentable sugars in it but 25% does seem prohibitive. This would then drive up the cost quite a bit... the cost your supposed to be "saving" by cutting out the water.... :(

I really want to try the powder but the mixed reviews have kept me from buying which is sad because i need an excuse to also buy Jawbreakers by the pound from them... :mrgreen:

As far as the Herdlife molasses... it looks very close to the TSC variant that I had so much fun with: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=58570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I will say that I did use it, the propionic acid did keep the ferment slow but the Habitats Rum that I made (all molasses for yummyrums recipe here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7365724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) went on wood 4 months ago and I broke a little out for some sipping - It was great and got rave reviews.
The makings of Habitats Rum
The makings of Habitats Rum
This stuff is $9.99/gallon (vs about $9.60/gal for the Herdlife) at the TSC if it is closer to you http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rgreen,

I've used the TSC deer lick molly too. Big, monumental molasses flavor off still. In fact, it was too big for my liking. But, I ran and reran it. The triple distilled product at 151 proof is "just right", according to Goldilocks. It goes great in a tall glass filled with ice and topped up with Coke. One and (you're) done!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

still_stirrin wrote:... In fact, it was too big for my liking. But, I ran and reran it. The triple distilled product at 151 proof is "just right", according to Goldilocks. It goes great in a tall glass filled with ice and topped up with Coke. One and (you're) done!
ss
:lol: ...That stuff came off my still like a hammer! I will say that I diluted it down to about 60 % ABV and oaked it for 4 months.... it is AMAZING what that oak and a little time will do for a drink. Took a little out to a party this last weekend and didn't come home with it.... someone swiped it it was so good.

I think I am going to have another go at it very soon. Might mix it with some food grade blackstrap and see what happens. I can imagine what the basement will smell like with that ferment alongside the bourbon I'm starting... first world problems for sure.

Sorry to get off the powdered topic...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I'm doing a 1.5 of Herdlife right now. I'm pretty close to having enough to fill a 5g barrel! My goal is get a barrel filled by September, and keep it in there until next summer.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Iamgod
Novice

Post by Iamgod »

Hi all powdered products are spray dried I worked in spray drying to years do not use it contains preservative chemicals lab made nastys u have to wear a mask when mixing States harmful to marine life plants and such I imagine it would not be good in a ferment plus gum arabic and MD maltodextrine some of which don't dissolve til temp is fifty degrees be careful
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

This is an old thread but I visited my local feed store today to pick up whole corn to malt.
And just to look around.

They had the usual jugs of molasses and this:
Dried Molasses.jpg
I hadn't thought of dry, but it makes sense in sweetfeed.

First of all, was I being ignorant when everyone refers to kg of molasses?

Has anyone used this?
Advantages/disadvatages to liquid?
How would you compensate in a recipe compared to liquid molasses?

For comparison this 50 pound bag was $18.00 US. Their 2.5 gallon liquid (82 brix) that most feed molasses refers to was $23.00.

Also, I was talking to them about their wheat.
They asked if it was for feed or planting and I said, "Neither. I brew beer with it." That got a laugh but I WAS telling the truth! :wink:

Anyway they mentioned that seed wheat was tested to make sure it would germinate.
They had never mentioned that to me before but handy information.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TDick wrote:Anyway they mentioned that seed wheat was tested to make sure it would germinate.
They had never mentioned that to me before but handy information.
I just got done loading the drill (planter) with wheat seed, I caution you about using that for brewing because seed wheat is usually treated with chemicals to kill pests and it often has “growth stimulant” chemicals applied as well. But always, there is a dye added so that you can easily see that it has been treated (if your nose didn’t work...because treated wheat has a very strong smell). And treated wheat is poisonous.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

TD.. what you have to look for is the ingredient list.. on your picture of the molasses, under ingredient is "Molasses Products and Roughage Products".. what is not said is the percentage of roughage..

A few years back, I purchase a bag label as such form my local feed store, only to find out that it what mainly roughage, other kinds of meal feed, maybe 80%, which are not stated on the package, so I gave it to a local farmer..

Cost me $16 to learn, so check your's out before purchasing..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
STUDY BUDDY
Novice

Post by STUDY BUDDY »

Hound Dog wrote:Walmart has this for $24/ 2.5 gallons. I ordered a couple jugs and am going to give it a whirl when I finish some sweet feed ferments.
b738a4bf-63a3-4101-a28c-36c9ce2a06ba_1.a202a19edeae71c08d1ae0c424d64726.jpeg

Hey Hound Dog and RGreen, both of those molasses have a preservative in them. i was looking at those same jugs and is all they seem to have in my area that i have found other than small jars at the grocery store that would be insanely priced that route. Does this stuff work fine with the preservative or what? where is a good place to get bulk molasses?
Skinnerback
Novice

Post by Skinnerback »

The dried stuff gives a straw flavor to the distillate. Not enough molasses for the price. I reran most of what i made. A real bitch to squeeze out too. The jugs of molasses shown work quite well. I bought a bunch at 7.99/2.5gal on closeout. Rum on the schedule!