Aging Dark Rum ??

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

DarkKnightCW
Novice

Aging Dark Rum ??

Post by DarkKnightCW »

I make a rum from a brown sugar/molasses wash. Initial spirit has a great "back of the nose/throat" rum flavor.

I tried aging with some oak spirals that I charred. Spirit mellowed nicely and took on a great gold color and vanilla flavor from the wood. I divided the batch and spiced up half with little nutmeg, clove and cinnamon after aging. Both are worthy of sipping straight at 40-50% ABV or mixed. The spices hover over the Coke when mixed to give a pleasant experience.

I thought it would be great to make a "dark and stormy" cocktail using my own spirit so here is my question...

I want to try a dark(black) rum by adding molasses at the start of the oaking process. Is this the right time to add? I would think so as the aging time would help break down and incorporate the molasses? Anyone have any experience attempting this?
Thanks,

DarkknightCW
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Aging Dark Rum ??

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Hi DKCW, did you try to follow Buccaneer Bob's instructions for a black rum? He prepares a dark rum spirit with backset and part of the hearts, to be added post aging, when bottling. You find it in the T&T recipes

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=39556
DarkKnightCW
Novice

Post by DarkKnightCW »

I read it. I was thinking there was an more conventional way... thinking I would try it if I did not get the result I set out for.
Thanks,

DarkknightCW
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

I'm coming late to the party but have to ask...........DKCW did you ever try the molasses addition prior to aging?

I'm also want to make a dark full flavour rum and have tried the Buccaneer Bob's method. It turned out pretty good but I'm still wanting a more full body rum. I just ran off about 4 litres of rum complete with my 3 yr old dunder and am thinking of adding some demerara sugar & some vanilla bean prior to aging?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you want a darker rum try ageing on toasted American oak for longer,char does not give up color as quickly or easily as toasted does.
I'm not a fan of charred oak in Rum at all.
If its a heavier flavor your looking for more Molasses and less Sugar or all Molasses will help.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Just started my first all molasses rum ferment. Bubbling along nicely. I have always used toasted and charred but am going to do a toasted only for comparison.

For my spiced i usually spice right before bottling. Seriously thinking about spicing the thumper for an experiment.
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

Thanks Salt & WTFDskin.....

This evening I had a very discerning taste of the some "Old Sam" Newfoundland rum. It told me that oak and vanilla are quite prominent. If there was any sweetness is was very subtle.

Still interested in find out if DKCW tried the molasses.
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

+1 on buccaneer bobs recipe. I have also made carmelized sugar and added that to rum. I have been making a lot of rum lately. Some I put on toasted oak sticks, some I put on charred oak just to experiment with. Some I have added flavor, spices and pineapple. But mostly just a piece of oak and that's it. None of it is old enough to really judge. I just keep making it and trying to build up a pipeline.
A lot of guys on here have told me to oak it at a slightly higher proof (like 65%) for better results, so that's what I've been doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk