1lb. Sugar = 1lb. converted Corn ..?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

1lb. Sugar = 1lb. converted Corn ..?

Post by Still Life »

Comparing various sugar recipes to corn recipes,
it looks as though 1 lb. of properly converted corn
is roughly equal to 1 lb. of sugar.

Does that sound right to you ol' pros?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: 1lb. Sugar = 1lb. converted Corn ..?

Post by der wo »

1lbs starch = 1lbs sugar.
But 1lbs corn has not 1lbs starch. It's about 65% starch. So 1lbs corn = 0.65lbs sugar.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Danke.
Your knowledge never fails to amaze, der wo.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

shadylane posted this link: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/wha ... alt-yields" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Here flaked corn has 80%... Probably because while it is flaked, the hull is partly removed. My cornflakes for breakfast at home have 84%. But cracked corn or wholemeal flour should have around 65%.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:shadylane posted this link: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/wha ... alt-yields" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Nice list.

And here is another list, this one has a few more adjuncts.

http://beersmith.com/Grains/Grains/GrainList.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I'm goin the distance...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

And then of course there is this:
gardenbrix.jpg
From here: homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50131&p=7268993
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Looks like raisins and garlic are quite high. Maybe someone who's not me should try a raisin garlic combo brandy. I bet chick's would dig that.
I'm goin the distance...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MitchyBourbon wrote:Looks like raisins and garlic are quite high. Maybe someone who's not me should try a raisin garlic combo brandy. I bet chick's would dig that.
That's just wrong...!!! :sick:

That's coming from someone who can only smell garlic, which smells extremely obnoxious, but can't taste garlic... :problem:
UrToopid
Novice

Post by UrToopid »

This is a question that I struggled to answer a year ago when I had first started into this craft. It wasn't that I didn't know this to be fairly factual, I just couldn't explain why. In the course of the last year; and 36 mashes later, It dawned on me like the sun rising.

One lb of corn does produce apx. One lb. of sugar once the final conversion has taken place. There is however, another piece to this puzzle..

If one were to convert corn to starch by holding the cooked corn at an optimal gelatinization temp, and/or pressure, and then to sugar using pure amylase, then yes, apx. 15-25 percent weight would be lost due to the inconvertible solids. What is easy to miss here however, is with an AG mash, 15-25% (or more) of the corn grain bill is coincidently the weight in malted grain that is added for its Diastatic Power to convert the starch to sugar.

If you used 10 lbs of corn, you would use AT LEAST 1.5 lbs of malt grain and you would net very nearly 10 lbs of sugar. You are getting SOME of that sugar from the malt grain.

When describing the X lbs of sugar to X gals of water ratio and the Brix I will bet, and how the same ratio works out when using no added sugar, what I am actually talking about is just the corn used and not my entire grain bill.

I hope this helps somebody to wrap their head around this.

This becomes more relevant when you buy corn in bulk; say a super sack (1500-1800 lbs). In that quantity, corn costs a mere six cents per pound....much cheaper than sugar.