Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Molasses

Post by Deerhunter »

Saw this Molasses in Agway. Was going to by it but said not for human consumption on label.
Attachments
IMG_1691.JPG
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
rad14701
retired

Re: Molasses

Post by rad14701 »

Not harmful to humans, it just isn't approved for human consumption or use in cooking... It hasn't killed livestock yet or it wouldn't be on the store shelves... You wouldn't be eating it, just drinking the spirits it produced... The molasses in sweet feed isn't approved for humans either but folks have been making fine spirits from sweet feed for decades... Nor is the grain in sweet feed or chicken scratch for that matter...
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I knew I should have bought it. Now I have to buy supermarket Molasses.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Growing up on a dairy farm, my chores included feeding the milking cows.

I would add grain to the silage top in the feed bunks. The grain was ground milo (a sorghum plant) which had feed molasses rolled into the feed. I would pick out balls of molasses and suck on them when feeding the cows.

That was 50 years ago....and I'm still alive!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

A distillery opened up near me making spirits from Sorghum. Quite honestly I didn't like it.

http://www.ky-mar.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

There are about 4 or 5 topics i can remember off the top of my head to read regarding that kind of molly... It works, but it really packs a punch in the taste arena. Also HD search up Propionic acid...

I had my share of using it and I finally finished my last gallon. Moving on to baking molly.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Can it be substituted with brown sugar instead?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

According to imperial sugar co their dark brown sugar is no less than 8% and no more than10% molasses so I don't see why not as sweetfeed has 10% molasses. I do know that dark brown sugar makes a damn fine rum. Has a buttery caramel taste after 3weeks or a month. I keep intending to make a ujssm using the dark brown sugar.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

jb-texshine wrote:According to imperial sugar co their dark brown sugar is no less than 8% and no more than10% molasses so I don't see why not as sweetfeed has 10% molasses. I do know that dark brown sugar makes a damn fine rum. Has a buttery caramel taste after 3weeks or a month. I keep intending to make a ujssm using the dark brown sugar.
Dark brown sugar is one of the easiest things to distill! I usually do a 2 pound bag per gallon of water. Heat the water enough to dissolve the sugar, stir it up, dump it in a fermenter. At yeast nutrient and yeast. I like to leave it in the fermenter bucket for several days, then move it over to a carboy and let it sit for a couple of weeks until it starts to clear. Usually I do two batches:
Batch 1: mix up 5 gallons of sugar/water, leave in fermenter for three days. Then siphon most of it into a carboy.
Batch 2: Mix up 5 more gallons of sugar and water, and when the temps are cooled a bit, dump some of batch 1 into batch 2. The yeast colony is already happily chugging along, so it takes advantage of the new food and goes right to work reproducing.
After about three days, dump batch two into a carboy and let them work. After two or three weeks, rack all but the bottom few inches into the still boiler, leaving behind the yeast grunge at the bottom.

I ran some off today. Out of about 9 gallons I got close to two gallons when I stripped down to 20 proof or so. I didn't measure it, I just let it run right into the carboy from the output. Then I cleaned the boiler, dumped it back in, and added a gallon of water with a small jar of molasses for added flavor. Tossed the foreshots, ran may product into pint jars, and when it was done, I mixed the like jars together. I kept everything down to 130 proof in four quart jars marked 1, 2, 3 and 4. Jar 1 is about 150 proof right now and smells pretty clean. Jars 2 and 3 are about 140 and have a good mix of smells going on. Jar 4 has a bit more smell and oily mouth feel to it, I think it collected some of the tails. I'm going to let them all age and calm down a bit for a month or so, and then try diluting and mixing.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

It also gets a wonderful flavor after About a month or so

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I worked in analytical labs in a sugar mill for a number of years. In Australia sugar mills are chemical plants that produce sucrose (not food) - refineries produce sugar that you eat. Molasses from sugar mills is viewed as a waste ie no more commercially extracted sucrose - we'd aim for no more than 36% sucrose in the final molasses. When you dissolve and dilute final molasses you end up with very tiny pieces of non-dissolvable crud on the bottom of the beaker - assumed to be flakes of rust. Anyway that is probably why 'livestock feed' molasses is sold as not fit for human consumption. The molasses that is sold as fit for human consumption has actually been reprocessed in a refinery which is why it is way more expensive but IMHO most likely has lost the more complex flavour characteristics through being refined. My tip would be to give the cheaper livestock feed molasses a try.

If the molasses has a light pineappley-fruity boquet it is going bad - good molasses should have a rich dark heavy boquet.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Deerhunter wrote:Saw this Molasses in Agway. Was going to by it but said not for human consumption on label.
Same stuff they sell at Walmart.com. I have 6 gallons of low wines waiting to run. Smells pretty good.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Went with the store bought. Wasn't sure if it was safe or not.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Deerhunter wrote:Went with the store bought. Wasn't sure if it was safe or not.

ive only ever used store bought . so right now my best rum as come from 4lbs of brown sugar and 48oz of fancy molly . watered down to 1.07ish i will pull a qt of very nice rum once thru a post still and thumper at 120 after cuts with a bunch of fients.

read the pugi rum recipe in the tnt . the yeast bomb is critical. i can usually get my ferments of rum to 1.002, which seems unheard of from others accounts of fermeting molly
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Feed molly is totally usable, your feed store should be able to answer questions about whether or not there are any preservatives included.
You aren't eating the molly, just the distillate from the fermented product of the molly.
Find some that doesn't have preservatives.
Either add sugar or don't, I know it's cheaper but that isn't the way to get the best product.
I got real tired of the prices set on "food grade molly".
Course the last 21 gallons of rum I made were 100% Panela, Yum!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I buy mine at restaurant supply. Paid something like $14.00 dollars a gallon for food grade.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rager wrote:
Deerhunter wrote:

ive only ever used store bought . so right now my best rum as come from 4lbs of brown sugar and 48oz of fancy molly . watered down to 1.07ish i will pull a qt of very nice rum once thru a post still and thumper at 120 after cuts with a bunch of fients.

read the pugi rum recipe in the tnt . the yeast bomb is critical. i can usually get my ferments of rum to 1.002, which seems unheard of from others accounts of fermeting molly
+1 this is spot on! Rager is very good at rum, I can personally testify. I'm chasing his abilities in rum.

While feed grade is cheaper, more accessible, and I have nothing against it, I too have only used fancy grade.

First, I get it at Restaurant Depot for 4 gallons for $48. At 12 dollars a gallon, it's only 2 dollars more a gallon than the liquid gallon at TSC. Getting it at that price is crucial, though.

As far as the benefits, first, fancy has more than TWICE the consumable sugar than the feed grade. It's over 80%, closer to 90% sugar by weight. Second, it finishes dry. I do think the yeast bomb is important for nutes and a fast ferment, But I think the fancy finishes at around 1.002 (for me too) because it isn't full of all the unfermentables that feed grade is. Third, on this point, you don't have to clear fancy. There are no preservatives, no fats. Just molasses. Just dump in your molasses with a yeast bomb, fill with water, pitch yeast. Done. Easier than UJ. Hard to screw up. Lots of yield, because it has twice the sugar, and finishes all the way.

There is nothing wrong with feed grade, glad to have the option if needed. But there IS alot of benefit from fancy grade, that people discount or disregard. Mostly because they just say, feed is fine, because fancy is hard to find in the price range. But when you can get it, there is Alot of reasons to use it instead.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."