Invert sugar yield?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newbie1982
Novice

Invert sugar yield?

Post by newbie1982 »

So I'm reading the parent site on invert sugar I wanted to make a bunch so I had I on hand when I need it. It says 8 lbs of sugar and a total of 4 pints of water. And after I'm done 1 1/4 pint of my invert sugar will equal 1 lb of sugar for a recipe. I I start with 8 lbs I would have to yield 10 pints of product to make the 1 1/4 pint equal one lb. Am I missing something do I loss sugar in the process?
rad14701
retired

Re: Invert sugar yield?

Post by rad14701 »

newbie1982 wrote:So I'm reading the parent site on invert sugar I wanted to make a bunch so I had I on hand when I need it. It says 8 lbs of sugar and a total of 4 pints of water. And after I'm done 1 1/4 pint of my invert sugar will equal 1 lb of sugar for a recipe. I I start with 8 lbs I would have to yield 10 pints of product to make the 1 1/4 pint equal one lb. Am I missing something do I loss sugar in the process?
You're forgetting about the water and the voidage in the original sugar and the water you lose during the simmering part of the process... :idea:

Don't overthink things before you give them a try and see what happens throughout the process... Just remember that invert sugar doesn't have any preservatives or antibacterials in it so it can go bad easily and rapidly... I wouldn't keep very much sitting around on hand for too long...
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

I do have a problem over thinking things :|
And with your Gerber and all bran recipes I don't see them sitting for more then a few weeks before it will have to be used
I just couldntnin my head see how this would yield 10 pints
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Alot of people have compared invert sugar to just using sugar strait outta the bag and have not noticed a significant difference. Before you go making a bunch that will be sitting around longer than it takes to reach room temp you may want to try yourself and see what you think. Compared to the length of time of some ferments inverting sugar is super quick.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!