Commercial Product Contain Sugar

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Samogonka
Novice

Commercial Product Contain Sugar

Post by Samogonka »

Does anyone know if store bought booze uses refined sugars for there likker ? Just wondering ? During fermentations of there mashes :sarcasm:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Commercial Product Contain Sugar

Post by bluefish_dist »

The big guys, probably not due to cost. Craft, sugar is used. We use it in rum, vodka, moonshine. We don't use white sugar, but raw sugar from a mill. One of the other local distilleries also uses sugar based washes.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Samogonka
Novice

Post by Samogonka »

I always asumed spirits from natural accuring fruit / grain sugar where better when raw sugar washes? Is that just a myth raw sugars are great for good spirit washes?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

By "refined sugar" do you mean table sugar ? Does dextrose (corn sugar) count ? There are many commercial spirits that are distilled from sugarcane, "Ocean" and "Finlandia" vodkas for example, though it's not known just how much they refine their base sugars.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Samogonka wrote:Does anyone know if store bought booze uses refined sugars for there likker ? Just wondering ? During fermentations of there mashes :sarcasm:
Hi,
Supposing they did....
fermentation eats the sugar and produces alcohol and carbon dioxide!
as to whether there may be a bit of residual sugar, I would think little if any going by the lack of sweetness in the fermented liquid...
Geoff
The Baker
Samogonka
Novice

Post by Samogonka »

So is there a greater benefit from making a fruit wash over say milled sugar wash ? I always asumed sugar washes were cheap way out and produced cheap quality spirits
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

The majority of UK supermarket brand spirits use a "triple distilled" neutral from one big company and are then flavoured. I'm pretty sure it's from a sugar wash, but am open to correction.

edit : I was wrong for the premium, right for the basic http://www.ethimex.com/pages/high-grade-ethanol.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . Majority of good stuff is from grain http://www.ethimex.com/pages/premium-ethanol.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I know that in New Zealand (hi, kiwis) a great deal of vodka/ spirit is made from whey, a by-product of milk processing.
Probably makes its way into those same drinks as in the U.K.
Unless they have found new methods, it is fermented using a yeast that eats milk solids/ whatever instead of sucrose. Kluyveromyces Marxianus and there is another name, K. something, maybe fragilis?
I would love to get some as an acquaintance makes cheese....
Geoff
The Baker