re-distilling using counter top distiller

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SnoSheriff
Novice

re-distilling using counter top distiller

Post by SnoSheriff »

Greetings

I made my 1st sugar/water mash and I'd like to run it through the distiller 2 times in hopes of cleaning up the odor and taste. I think the 1st run is called stripping.
1. Is this a good idea? Will that give me better tasting/smelling vodka?
2. The 1st run gave me 800ml of 65% clear spirit per 1 gal of mash. How do I run this output through the distiller for the 2nd time? I'm not sure when to stop the still when I run higher % through it (like 40%) before the tails start... Do I simply add distilled water and bring it down to 20% and repeat the distillation process?

Thanks
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: re-distilling using counter top distiller

Post by Snackson »

Do some more reading here. I suggest Crankys spoon feeding thread. In the meantime, this will help give you an idea. Always dilute below 40%.
Attachments
IMG_1758.JPG
SnoSheriff
Novice

Post by SnoSheriff »

What is "Crankys spoon feeding thread"? Do you have a link or where can I find it?

Do you have a link to larger pic? I can't see the details when I zoom in. It looks like a useful pic tho.

Thank you
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The link is in my signature page below.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

http://m.imgur.com/1MM0IOo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Or better yet, http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I found this a while back and it's actually good for new people with one of these. I use mine for gin though.
SnoSheriff
Novice

Post by SnoSheriff »

Bushman wrote:The link is in my signature page below.
Dang, that's a lot of reading :esurprised: . I wish someone made a YT video with all of that :D
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

This hobby does not lend itself to instant gratification the more time you put into it the better the result... much like anything else
SnoSheriff
Novice

Post by SnoSheriff »

Snackson wrote:http://m.imgur.com/1MM0IOo
Or better yet, http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I found this a while back and it's actually good for new people with one of these. I use mine for gin though.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
SnoSheriff
Novice

Post by SnoSheriff »

I spent most of today reading and learning some more. Man, those "Safety" threads are important!!!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SnoSheriff wrote:I spent most of today reading and learning some more. Man, those "Safety" threads are important!!!
You Betcha !
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .