Feed grade molly and brown sugar wash

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Feed grade molly and brown sugar wash

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks for the link chickenfeed, is that one of those stores that you have to have a bakery, restaurant, deli or similar?

I have none of those, I'm just a diesel mechanic and equipment operator, I do however eat at a few or shop. lol

I'll check it out now.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Got it and set up!!!
Now to place my orders :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I can't find if they have a one price ground shipping or if they add that charge to every item?

Guess I'll see when I order the 5 gal of orange blossom honey, 50 lbs dB sugar, and 5 gal of moll.

I hope it's one flat price, if not I'm not sure it will be worth it or not.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Shine0n wrote:I can't find if they have a one price ground shipping or if they add that charge to every item?

Guess I'll see when I order the 5 gal of orange blossom honey, 50 lbs dB sugar, and 5 gal of moll.

I hope it's one flat price, if not I'm not sure it will be worth it or not.
That was exactly my order and the shipping didn't seem to go up when you added on the extra
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've got some unexpected bills due to the wife being pregnant so my order will have to be in 2 weeks.

extra scans and shit from us not being spring chickens but the little one is healthy so I'm happy.

Back to it, I'm going tomorrow night after work and make up 2 5 gal buckets of potatoes infected dunder and let her rip and make up some rum wash while I'm there so I can get to going!!!

I have some grains I need to make up too but maybe sometime after work this week.

Sometimes I don't like being so busy but the bills don't go no where and paying for 2 homes is a pita but tiz what it tiz.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Shine0n wrote:I've got some unexpected bills due to the wife being pregnant so my order will have to be in 2 weeks.

extra scans and shit from us not being spring chickens but the little one is healthy so I'm happy.

Back to it, I'm going tomorrow night after work and make up 2 5 gal buckets of potatoes infected dunder and let her rip and make up some rum wash while I'm there so I can get to going!!!

I have some grains I need to make up too but maybe sometime after work this week.

Sometimes I don't like being so busy but the bills don't go no where and paying for 2 homes is a pita but tiz what it tiz.
Congrats man!
I just had the grandkids for the weekend, no shed time but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
No worries, do what you can and can what you do!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Shine0n wrote:I've got some unexpected bills due to the wife being pregnant
Be sure to to make a birth year whisky to lay down for 21 years. Wish that I had been stillin when mine were born, did set aside some wines and that was a treat to enjoy on their 21st :D

OVZ
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks fellas, 21 years should be smooth as her new born bottom. lol
HBB for my youngest boy
Raspberry melomel for the soon to be little girl.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just got the fermenter cleaned up ready for tomorrow night when I'll start a 30 gal ferment. Was going to do 45 but the store is out of molasses but I have enough to do 30 so that's what it will be.

I don't think I'll do any infected dunder with this round as I have a bit on oak and have no "normal" rum to drink, I'll keep letting the dunder age till the next round and maybe use a gal of fresh for the spirit run.

Should end up with a good stock for the winter :thumbup:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Shine0n wrote:I've got some unexpected bills due to the wife being pregnant so my order will have to be in 2 weeks.
Just reading this thread so late to the party.
Congratulations!
:D
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thank you, we're excited!

Hope to see you give this recipe a try if you're interested in rum as it's pretty good I'll say :thumbup:

If you have a thumper you can get away with a single run but if not just strip the snot out of it with a couple runs and a med paced spirit run will also do it justice.

Feel free to ask away as things as always change over time, but this recipe is a good one :thumbup:

I do both, slow single runs and stripping runs. With a thumper makes it nice to only have to do singles but when I add the infected dunder I always strip
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Congratulations ShineOn!

Funny how so many of us land on such a similar rum recipe. Mine is very similar and I noticed crow's rum recipe was also similar too.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Have you or crow posted yalls recipe anywhere? Do you go the dunder route or no?

I just bought a new aquarium heater so I'll use that now the weather is cooler to hold in the low 90s, mine usually take 4 days tops to go dry and I don't bother waiting if I don't have to as the bread yeast adds a nice flavor to the rum. IMHO

I read on another thread about a ale yeast that adds some bananas esters and might try on a smaller batch one day soon just for shits and giggles but right now I'm very happy with this rum and the flavors it has even without the infected dunder.

As a matter of fact all the rum I'll do the rest of the year will be straight rum and I'll fill my 55 gal drum with dunder and let age till next June or so and see how it turns out, I did on a job get some blue marrel or how ever it's spelled as it's calcium based and I'll add it to the dunder when the weather permits for a full blown infection.

The 10 gallons of rum I have now is aging well and coming along nicely and by next July 4th will be a good hit at the party and as most years I'll have around 2-300 people for a massive bash on the river which never disappoints.

Back to rum, I did a small experiment with a 5 gallon batch to find the super buttery flavors I had at the beginning of this thread and now I have my answer.

At the end of fermentation I heated up the wash to 130f and held for 4 hours then let cool naturally, I hooked up my 7.75 gal keg and ran it slower than a pencil sized stream and low and behold the super buttery rum!!!

On my last rums of year will all be heated and cooled before running and I'll try to get 5-10 gallons aging for next year as well, it actually tasted better white than with oak but maybe I didn't let it go long enough on the wood for the full monty... possibly I'll take the wood from my HBB and use it to age it for a year. HMMM MM

Shine0n
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Haven't posted mine but crow posted his a few days back. Personally,I've never used infected dunder but am going to try to replicate a ferm from last year that I did using fresh (persimmon)backset. It made an excellent rum.

Deo Vendice

zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Awesome to hear that heating trick replicated the buttery notes! I've never seen that anywhere else, your initial screw up may well be an innovation, good on ya for verifying.
Most people seem to treat bread yeast brands as interchangeable but just to specify, which brand was this with? Same both times?
ETA: did you note where in the cuts the butter came through, or was it throughout?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The run I kept as low wines so I couldn't tell anyone exactly where it started but it's a very strong buttery smell coming through.

Since I ran without a thumper I ran it slower than I would normally and I didn't take any hydrometer readings, I wish I did now and also wished I collected in different jars to try and capture the beginning and end point of them.

Now I know where it comes from and now I know I MUST make a large batch of this before it gets too bloody cold.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It was Fliechmans bread yeast and I did in fact use it both times.
I buy it at Sams club in 2-1lb bricks for 5 bucks and that's all I've used in rum since 2016 but also used in my corn likker for many years.

Not sure if that's how it's spelled but it should be close enough for anyone wanting to look it up, lol
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm stopping by the hardware store Friday to buy 3-2" sheets of foam insulation and this weekend build a fermenter box for this winter to ferment in the barn and not the kitchen.
I've already bought a bunch of blankets from the second hand store to pack inside to keep the heat in so now the wife won't complain for the next 4+ months about the house smelling like a brewery.

First on the list is obviously rum... I'll be doing the original recipe and stripping it all down over the next few weeks for a large spirit run by mid February and fill my 55 gal drum with dunder to age out.

I plan to run 24 gallons of low wines at 30%, this should give me enough to keep me satisfied for a while as I share at parties and gift alot out of holidays plus I love this stuff too.

Then onto some AG mashes I've been neglecting to do for a while.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Good to see you getting back at it buddy.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Got the sugar, molly and some free time.

I'm looking for this thread I read the other night about a specific rum yeast and now I can't find it but I need to as it has a certain ester it creates. Bananas!!!

I feel if I use this I can improve an already good rum but it also depends on price per batch because I'm completely confident in bread yeast but I'd like to expand the horizons a bit.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I just picked up 20lbs of jaggery, so I’m about to kick off a batch of feed-grade molly and jaggery as my next experience. I’m also really tempted to stuff the “gin basket” and the boiler full of bananas.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Didn't somebody in rumtalk chase banana and spice with a heffe yeast, and end up dumping gallons down the drain?

Nottingham ale yeast can be fruity at high 60s to 70, and an ester bomb (for light ales at least) above that, including some banana notes. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of? I will mention I haven't used nottingham in any ales lately, but several reports on brew forums say it seems different than it used to be, fruitier and much more attenuative.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

That was me :)

I haven’t dumped it, though, it’s still aging. Almost no banana flavor whatsoever, though. No sugar, purely bananas, and still very, very little hint of banana.

I got more banana flavor (really just a hint of sweetness in the final product, “what is that hint at the end?” is what people ask) from throwing 3 bananas into a full keg boiler. I’m eager to see what 15-20 will do when the molly/jaggery wash finishes up.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've also contemplated putting nanners in the thumper without any fluids on a spirit run to see what happens, if nothing I've still got some yummy rum to sip :thumbup:

It would be nice to not have to clean that mess up afterwards and find a yeast that will do the job but I like to experiment, yeast may be a cheaper and cleaner route but I like the idea of adding to the thumper too!!!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Found what I was thinking of, It was oldvine zin in the panela goodness thread
Oldvine Zin wrote:Just dumped the 12 jars of the hefe down the drain :( Time to move on
But he did have fermentation issues too, so maybe it wasnt all the heffe's fault.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Yup that was me :cry:

Me and that heffe yeast just didn't get along - your results may vary.

OVZ
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'll take your word on this one, I don't like wasting time or money. lol
I'm kinda like Cranky, a cheap basted and would rather clean up the mess with the bananas than toss a batch.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Huh, funny, I use the White Labs wit Yeast with the banana esters.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you just happened to have a mini gin still you could try loading the basket with bananas and running some rum through them to make an essence for blending. I haven't tried banana yet, but I am having more successes than failures with this method.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

ShineOn,crow pointed out to me that it's more cost effective to use white sugar with the Molly instead of dark brown and just use a bit more molasses for the same result. Just something for you to play with.
Jbt

Deo Vendice