Feed grade molly and brown sugar wash

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Feed grade molly and brown sugar wash

Post by Shine0n »

If you had the temp at 90f when you pitched the yeast and insulated your fermenter it could easily hold that temp for 3 days as it heats up quite a bit during fermentation.
I take .5 quart wash and .5 quart water at 90f and start the yeast, it will double in 20 minutes or so then pitch in your ferment and wrap in blankets.
I do it in the winter here and still get good 3-5 day ferments.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Ok mate - well the side by side ferments have piqued my curiosity - if the "tasting committee" signifies approval - I'll give that a go - although my "Allinsons" seemed to go fine at 70F.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

What’s the brand and product that you’re using for your molasses? I’m having a hell of a time finding it around here.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It's just evolved habitat from tc.
Has the pic of the buck I shot 10 years ago. lol not really :(
I'm just running an all moll wash and man I don't think I like it as much as with my dB sugar but it will age nicely I'm sure!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

How do you distill it? An all moll wash needs more than one distillation with a thumper IMO. I strip it with a potstill and then rectify it to 80% with my LM.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I did it through a pot still with thumper, man that stuff is ruffff.
I'll be doing another run with the low wines after the next ferment is complete and stripped.

I'll be letting my dunder age until further notice because I need to build my apple chopper to get started on the apple season.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

In theory the yeast makes the same amount of farts in a 50/50 sugar moll wash like in an all moll wash. But the all moll wash has more of the good flavors. So the ratio between farts and flavors is better in the all moll wash. When you now distill both washes up to a desired "fartlesness", the all moll Rum will have more flavor. Or you distill both to the same flavor strenght, then the all moll Rum will have less farts. :D
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I wonder if the extra funkiness is because of the feed grade? I’ve got 2 more avenues to chase down for some Golden Barrel, but if they dead-end I’ll be doing the evolved habitat.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

raketemensch wrote:... I’ve got 2 more avenues to chase down for some Golden Barrel, but if they dead-end I’ll be doing the evolved habitat.

Have you gone to the source? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p7482438
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see about a 55 gal drum... hell yeah!
Even so I'll order a couple 5 gal pails to complete my rum season.

der, that's a hell of an analogy. lol
I think I get plenty of bold flavors from my original recipe just as well but it will be interesting on this dunder pit off the all moll. Perhaps even more flavor on the spirit run?

I'll order the blackstrap not the fancy though, if I get fancy I'm making a ton of biscuits to sop it up like my grandpa. lol
I'll even make the drive to Pa. to get it if the price is right.

I did find a supplier in Alexandria va. don't know if they sell to the public though.

Shine0n
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

rgreen2002 wrote:
raketemensch wrote:... I’ve got 2 more avenues to chase down for some Golden Barrel, but if they dead-end I’ll be doing the evolved habitat.

Have you gone to the source? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p7482438
Thanks, I have, but shipping 5-gallon buckets is expensive.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I may try and set up a bulk buy, I'll look further into it and if anyone has interest that's near my location pm me and we'll see where it goes. I'm looking at a tote.

if nothing else I'm getting a 55

That's rum for a 53 gal barrel there!!!

I think I'd never have to make rum again but then I can go further into Ag's
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just reread my thread to see how things progressed over the last 9 months and I think I found out how my rum was so buttery.
in the first page I said my aquarium heater went crazy and heated up my ferment to 136f and I thought it was cuput, we'll it was finished fermenting and so I ran it and BAM the best white rum I've ever had! Now, I've had very close but not quite the buttery flavors as the original recipe and just now thought...hmmm what if I heat up the ferment up to 136 again and let it set for a couple hours then let it cool.
Maybe it cooked the yeast and produced all that buttery esters, maybe it was the unfermentable stuff in the moll?

Only way to find out is EXPERIMENTS :thumbup:

I don't think I'll ever get to stop with rum which isn't a bad thing!

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm about to make my final rum ferment of the year I believe, 45 gal!!!
should be able to get enough strip for a full boiler and most of the thumper if I strip super far down. I love rum but now I'm almost out of HBB it's time to crank it up a bit on some AG before the weather starts cooling off plus apples are on the horizon as well.

Ima take the dunder and let it age until next rum season, June 2018 more than likely but it's been a fukn hoot and I'm done with it for now.

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well shit, I just cant stop with the rum
16 lbs sugar
2 gal feed moll
1/2 cup yeast (bread)
15 ish gal ferment

I need to run another experiment because as good as this one is I need to find what the hell got me the super buttery rum as I had the first one.

I'm going to heat up the ferment after completion to 140°
and hold for a couple hours. On my first one the aquarium heater malfunctioned and heated the ferment to 136f so I'm thinking it cooked the yeast and created the almost over buttery flavors.

I'm almost positive that's what did it and I want some more. I won't be adding infected dunder to this run, maybe some non infected as I'm only doing a one and done with this like the first.

I will double the recipe so I can fill the thumper though.

I'll report back,
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well I haven't had time to do my ferments yet but will this week I pray because it's been too damn long for me not running my still.
I feel like I'm losing my mind reading and researching but not having time to do anything but think about it.

I went to buy dB sugar and the stuff has went up in price by 50 cents per bag locally so while I'm out of town the next few days I'll look in Richmond Va. and hope to find some fairly cheep so I can get to rolling along.

I guess since I have the pits aging and smelling so nicely I'll add 25% to the run just for shits and giggles and see what happens.

The hurricane is headed twards the OBX so we might get some rain out of this deal so I may be off work weds which would be great so by the weekend after that one I could run some beautiful, sweet, buttery rum and have a piece of mind!!!

Goin nuts yalllll
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Hey shine, your butter chase reminded me of this chart and I havent seen it in any of the ester threads. Maybe it will help, and if not, I just like it and figure you will too. Easy visual reference.
table-of-esters-and-their-smells-v2.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
Hmmm, I guess pdf doesnt show up inline, lemme try to get a pic...I'll leave the pdf since it is higher res
Screenshot_20170925-223726_crop_699x720-768x791-600x618.png
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks zapata, I'll blow it up and print it and hang in the stillin barn :thumbup:
I think I know what it was that produced the high buttery esters, excessive heat from a shorted aquarium heater. I think I'm going to heat up the wash to 120f and keep for a few hours after fermentation has completed.

If that's doesn't get work I'll do 130 and so on and so on.

Shine0n
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Interesting.
It is similar to an upcoming experiment I'm working on. I have a tailsy whisky I want to try to hold in reflux for a day or 3 in hopes of encouraging transesterification (swapping the high bp tails alcohol onto the existing ethyl esters). No idea if it'll work, I know just enough chemistry to think of shit, nowhere near enough to judge it without trying!
Your idea is different though, as the yeast will be alive, at least for a while. The heat may well encourage them to shit out some heavy alcohols which could end up as butter.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's certainly the plan is for them to shit out as much butter flavor as possible, plus I just read in a thread about a yeast that has that ester in normal activity. Maybe a double dose of butter with a side of pineapple would fit nicely from the infected dunder, eh!!!

I'll start the ferment in the AM due to working late this week along with chopping and pressing apples :thumbup:
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

There are also some great wit yeasts (I love wlp300) that produce nice banana esters.

I’m about to run a batch of the EH molasses that I fermented with some cracked and some cooked corn — essentially a UJ with Molly instead of sugar.

I’m also planning on throwing ~20 bananas into the boiler with it. Not a ton of control in this experiment, but I can always re-run it to a neutral...
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If nothing else you'll have a nice rumskey!

I just tasted a sweetfeed likker I made January of 2016 and holy shit batman that was some fine likker. Damn!!!

That's the best sugar head I've ever made, smooth, still taste the grains and at 100p was like 70p it was so mellowed out.

Sorry off topic but mm mm mm, tastey!

Back to the regularly scheduled program,
Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Love this thread SO, I'm inspired to make some rum. Going to give your recipe a try. I just hope I can find the molly at my local TS.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

OT, They should have it. Mine will make a special order for me if I need more than they have on hand.

I'm really glad you're trying this recipe as I've found it to be bold enough, sweet enough, and once you get some dunder you'll be happy to drink and share this rum with anyone.

I make ALOT of rum and after countless tried recipes this one has stuck.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :thumbup:
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Shine0n wrote:OT, They should have it. Mine will make a special order for me if I need more than they have on hand.
Are you picking it up in 1-gallon jugs?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

yeah, that's all they have so I buy 4 gals at the time.

I should buy a 55 gal drum, lol

one day I'll just bite the bullet and get the 55 gal, but the wife would shit golden bricks. lol

Having 1 gal jugs makes it easy to measure quantities since it leaves out the guess work.

I could do 45 gal ferments but I'm still yet to find a shop that has scrap marble to buffer the wash.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Does the marble basically do the same thing as oyster shells you all keep talking about??
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Old Town wrote:Does the marble basically do the same thing as oyster shells you all keep talking about??
Yes. Oyster shells are just more common probably due to cost/availability.
But marble bits work as well.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm looking to get a slab like 3"×18"

IDK what size SCD had but it was eaten up after the first time.
I'm trying to stay away from the small pebble sized pieces and have a vertical piece from bottom to 3/4 the way up my fermenter or just suspended from the lid.

That way I can do the larger ferments without the worry.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Shine0n wrote:Well hells bells, my feed store does not have any more molly and I can't find any dark brown sugar. I need to find a constant supply of both without going over the web, I don't know about anyone else but the less the gooberment sees me buying a shit ton of sugar and what not the better!
I've aired the strip run out for 2 days and now it smells like warm melted sweet butter with molasses.

Untill I find my supply of goodies I'll rest on it for a while, I want to keep on going with rum since this recipe seems to be awesome and I'm sure if I did a 1 run process it would be great as well.

For now I'm going to use a bit of the dunder (20%) and the trub in the fermenter and mix up a batch of sweet feed then once I get the rum goodies I'll go back on that.

I'm going to mix a quart of sf and one of this rum and experiment with it, I'll keep on posting in this here thread for notes just in case it's worth repeating.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ i get food grade blackstrap and dark brown sugar here 5gal blackstrap and 50lbs dark brown