Yet Another "Making cuts" question

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrBee
Novice

Yet Another "Making cuts" question

Post by MrBee »

I am sorry if this has beem covered already.

I run a pot still qith thumper.

I am not totally new to making cuts.
Have been getting better with each "RUM" run I make and I owe that learning to reading what a lot of you have writen.

However today is the first time i'm doimg a spirit run of just a sugar wash to get a neutral spirit for maceration of fruit. I stripped as I usually do, 3 strip runs then cut to 40% for the spirit run . Now collecting in 100 - 200 ml amounts in each jar.

Do I make cuts as I do with my rum ? I've never even sniffed a neutral run so to save me some guess work , is there anything different I should be expecting ?
Since i'm used to rum cuts will the same rules apply for this neutral ?

When I read throught the novice cuts thread I did not see anything specific towards neutrals, just grains, rum , and fruits.

Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks
MrBee
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yet Another "Making cuts" question

Post by GrassHopper »

You will still have fores, heads, hearts and tails. Yes, I would make your cuts as normal. Try and eliminate the harshness of the heads and the stinkyness of the tails and you should have a decent neutral.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think you will find it easier than Rum to make the cut on ....no rum/ molasses smells to interfere with the other tastes and smells.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Not trying to derail the OP questions, but perhaps you could learn from this as well.. Seems like there is some different information out there. When making a neutral/vodka on a pot still, is it better to strip multiple times first and then spirit run, or to strip/spirit run, then run further strips or spirit runs?

I would think a strip and spirit run, followed by further runs to clean up only hearts.

SR
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I think you will find it easier than Rum to make the cut on ....no rum/ molasses smells to interfere with the other tastes and smells.
+1...rums and all grains are the toughest for me when it comes to good cuts.

SR - your question is phrased a little different but I think your answer is strip and spirits. You really only get one strip run as you get all the alcohol out of the wash/mash. If you are just refining a strip or are combining multiple strips then they would be spirit runs since there is no wash/mash involved. I think it is mostly a question of semantics..... and speed of course.

Now when I run a 20 gallon strip and then combine that entire strip with my next 20 gallon wash in the flute run....I don't know what the hell you call it then...LOL

Hope this helped. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Yes, that kind of answers it. I guess I specifically referring to when to make cuts. On the first spirit run? Or do several fast "stripping" runs with diluting to 30% or so, then doing a slow spirit run with cuts? Sounds like that's what the OP did. I was thinking a regular strip, slow spirit, then dilute hearts and run fast would be the best way..

Make more sense?

SR
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Do a strip and spirit run with cuts, like usual. Then dilute the hearts to 40% and run them again. On the third run you should have no, or a very small, heads cut. Then shut down at the first sign of tails. With a reflux still that will make a very clean neutral. If you are talking about a pot still, that third run will clean it up a lot but no guarantees of neutrality.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Perfect. That's what I was thinking!

I'll be using a thumper on both the strip and spirit runs. Then probably an additional run on a small still.

Thanks

SR
MrBee
Novice

Post by MrBee »

Thanks For all your the replies folks,

I did for this as I do for Rum,
Strip as fast as I can, dump 75-100ml fores, collect down to around 25% (stop sooner if it goes cloudy.).
Water everything down to 40% then run pretty slow collecting in 100 - 200 ml amounts.
I just did the spirit run yesterday and it is airing out.
Will start the smell, dilute/taste, and cut process tonight.

This run stayed above 156 / 78% for a very long time then when it started to drop it dropped pretty fast.
Acted very similar to my Rum runs. Thats what I wasn't sure what to expect.

Thanks and I'll try to post up as I finish making the cuts.
I did seem to collect a lot more distillate as a percent of amount of wash in the boiler than I was expecting.
Could be that I just used more jars than for my Rum runs,
I don't need as many for the rum since I am more use to those cuts I collect in larger amounts when I know I'm in the Middle.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

MrBee wrote:Strip as fast as I can, dump 75-100ml fores,
I you want to cut for fores on the Strip run you'd be better off going real easy at the start, use your nose and taste buds instead of a set quantity to find the end of fores. Then hit the power and strip whats left.
MrBee
Novice

Post by MrBee »

Thanks Saltbush,

I'll give that a try. Never thought it would make much of a difference starting fast or slow on the stripping run since I take a pretty good heads cut off the spirit run.
But I'll give it a try.

What is the purpose of starting slow on a stripping run ?

I didn't mention but I do not save any heads from a spirit run. Everything I cut before hearts gets junked.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

the purpose of a slow start is that the more volatile fores will come across first without dragging across good product
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

@ dieselduo +1 :thumbup: