Density and Temp do not match %ABV

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist
Bootlegger

Density and Temp do not match %ABV

Post by Alchemist »

To say the least I'm a bit confused.

I just finished a stripping run of 20 L of Buccaneer Bob's rum. Life made me deviate somewhat on the fermenting vs distilling schedule. Meaning it has sat a couple months fermented out on the yeast. First impression of the fermented wash was quite sharp. Quickly moving on I stripped it out yesterday....and the numbers (and flavor) made no sense.

Disclaimer. I'm a retired chemist. I get distilling. I also have 12-18 distillations under my belt (mostly gin and scotch style whisky) and I've vetted my system and process. It all works text book.

That said, the product was very....vinegar like. Not quite, but close. And using the search feature I see that isn't terribly uncommon. But.

My product started coming off fine at about 80 C, I pulled my foreshots, and continued on. The first oddity is that the % coming off per my Tralle Hydrometer said 25% and proceeded to go down from there. By the time I had collected about 6 L of product the hydrometer said 5% but my still thermometer never went above 90C.

I verified both thermometer calibration with boiling water and a 2nd thermometer and the hydrometer with some previous 45% ABV I have age. They all checked out (clearly or I would not be writing).

Any thoughts anyone? I'm left with WTF!
The whiskey makes it all so clear...
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Density and Temp do not match %ABV

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I fear your ferment was infected with vinegar. That consumed the alcohol in the two months your was sat there, and so you had a very low alcohol content when you started distilling.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Try a different Proof & Traille hydrometer. I wonder if the calibration paper inside yours may have moved.

Running rum through a potstill should start your collection in the 55-60%ABV range with a ferment potential between 5-10%ABV. I doubt that the ferment got spoiled by a vinegar mother (which could reduce the alcohol content), although you did say it smelled somewhat like vinegar. I'm optimistic that you did get some alcohol from the ferment.

As a check of your P&T hydro, check it against a known product, store bought or home produced. If it proves correct, then you may be the victim of the vinegar bug. Hope not, but....
ss

edit - posted with grizzo.
Last edited by still_stirrin on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

I thought of that and held out hope given others commenting on a semi-vinegar taste. Know anyway to test that out?

Would that match the temp vs density mismatch?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Alchemist wrote:...Would that match the temp vs density mismatch?
Yep.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

still_stirrin wrote: As a check of your P&T hydro, check it against a known product, store bought or home produced. If it proves correct, then you may be the victim of the vinegar bug. Hope not, but....
I did this already and said so.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. Perhaps a vinegar infection.
But...
Alchemist wrote:My product started coming off fine at about 80 C, I pulled my foreshots, and continued on. The first oddity is that the % coming off per my Tralle Hydrometer said 25% and proceeded to go down from there. By the time I had collected about 6 L of product the hydrometer said 5% but my still thermometer never went above 90C.
...this is really very strange. A wash turned to vinegar should reach very fast very high temps like 100°C. How does the distillate taste? Does the 5% taste like 5%?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

der wo wrote:Yes. Perhaps a vinegar infection.
But...
Alchemist wrote:My product started coming off fine at about 80 C, I pulled my foreshots, and continued on. The first oddity is that the % coming off per my Tralle Hydrometer said 25% and proceeded to go down from there. By the time I had collected about 6 L of product the hydrometer said 5% but my still thermometer never went above 90C.
...this is really very strange. A wash turned to vinegar should reach very fast very high temps like 100°C. How does the distillate taste? Does the 5% taste like 5%?
It tastes sharp. Acidic sharp. And pH 3.2. :( A pear stripping run I just tested is 5 or so.

I guess I have vinegar. I'll make a spirit run, and age it on oak. Time to get my titration kit out to get it to 5% after. Bet my still is going to be all shiny :)
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The low pH, the sharp taste. Yes, you have vinegar.
But I don't understand the thermometer reading. Acetic acid boils at slightly higher temp than water.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

So, thinking ahead to batch two, if I boil the trub to kill any acetobacteria would I be safe using it for nutrients? And what about the dunder from the still? Safe to continue it's use?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I wouldn't. The acetic acid and the new alcohol will form the ester ethyl acetate probably. It is a maior part of the foreshots.

But on the other hand, rum producers sometimes add cane vinegar purposely to get more esters.

So perhaps it depends on aging, if the rum will benefit from the vinegar or not.