Rum from Melasse

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

BenderDK
Novice

Rum from Melasse

Post by BenderDK »

Hello.

Here in denmark it aint easy to get hold of Sugar cane molasses, and did som searching here on the forum and cant find any information about Sugar beats melasse.

Some says its fine others not,

any opinions on the topic

Sorry for the english, hope your guys can read and understand it :)
Danish Destiller :D
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum from Melasse

Post by Pikey »

Well Sugar from cane is pretty much identical to that from beet but the sources themselves Look very different. I don't know, but cane molasses (at east I assume what I buy is from cane ? ) tastes identical to thin treacle. I get mine from a fishing tackle shop. They use it to make bait for carp, so that could be worth a try.

I'd say just taste it and see if it tastes like treacle. If it does fine, if not then use it anyhow and make some "beet rum". Do let us know please - I'm in a beet area and who knows ? :)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We buy our panela in bulk from a member (SugarDaddy) who manufactures it in Columbia. Usually we buy in bulk as our last shipment included many members from our area and a large shipment that we piggy backed with from a local distillery. The member in our area that sets it up is Nerdybrewer, you might want to send him a PM.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't expect it to taste like rum from sugar cane molasses and be prepared to have to reflux most of the flavor out to make it palatable. If you only have a pot still, don't spend a lot of money on your first try at beet molasses because you probably won't like it.

Träkumla Rom uses beets. I don't know their process.
BenderDK
Novice

Post by BenderDK »

I have destilled some now, and its a bit funky :/ its tasting of lacorice and an off tast i cant describe.

its just the stripping run, doing a 2nd run later this week, ill return.
patrick10ghost
Novice

Post by patrick10ghost »

From a big side view beet sugar is a super cheap alternative to cane sugar. The really big problem is quality of sugar. Try using beet sugar instead of white cane the use molasses syrup or brown sugar.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can't really judge something from a stripping run because the results of a spirit run are so much better. I'm very interested in how the spirit run turns out. If you haven't already found it, Kiwistiller's guide to cuts might be a help.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261
BenderDK
Novice

Post by BenderDK »

Cool Thanks , ill run the 2nd run this evening to see what it turns out like ;)

if its bad i have to run it with a full reflux collum.

Ill let your guys know asap im done
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Hey there Bender!

I find this experiment of yours very interesting. I too live in beet country, and can buy beet molasses cheap while the only cane molasses I've found go for exorbitant prices.

So please do report back how the rum turned out! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Berserk
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you tried your local farm supplies? My Dansk isn't too good and I don't currently live in Denmark so I'm not in a hurry to sort out a good supplier for you, but you guys are there and can do the research.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Yeah, I don't live in Denmark either but I live close enough. The farm supplies here only supply beet molasses. Some health-eco-green stores carry cane molasses though, but in very small amounts at high cost. Since Scandinavia have no native cane production but a big beet industry any cane molasses need to be imported.

I have been looking at using beet syrup as an alternative to molasses. It can be bought in any store at about twice the price of white sugar and carries a bit more flavour. If Benders beet molasses rum don't turn out good I'll give it a try!
Cheers,
Berserk

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

In that case, the easy fix is don't try to make rum. Use the best of what you can get.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Perhaps you can get it from Germany?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zuckerrohrmelass ... SwjDZYeIaH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Shipping 10€ to Denmark.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

my 2 cents worth :| ...well more like a few bucks worth :oops:
I would not give up on Beet Molases based on one or two's comments about it being bad .

I have been making ( or trying to make ) Rum for a few years . Started with pissy brown sugar washes then ventured into sugar + cane molasses blend ( AKA Hook Rum and Pugi styles ) until finally 100% cane molasses .
I have used used various Oak from raw ,toasted , charred , both french and american white ....did I mention Home brew shop Oak chips ?...no...good :lol:
I have used Pot stills and Plated stills with a lot of variations of plate numbers and thumpers ....and then there were the cuts...and variations on cuts ...cuts , cuts , cuts ,cuts ,cuts , cuts :crazy:
I'm not trying to blow my trumpet , just explaining the painful number of variables that can influence a drink

But the Main point I want to make is that most Rum I have made In My Honest Opinion tasted crap :thumbdown: ....there has been very few Yummy Rums :cry:
And its not just my Rum , I have tasted a lot of other Home made Rum and again there is a huge variation in taste and smell
I have also tasted some absolutely excellent Home made Rums From Salt bush bill , and others on another forum...occasionally I even make one myself that's no half bad

So if I was to try a new Rum wash with something like Beet Molasses I would be foolish after one attempt to say it tastes crap .There are so many variables that can make the difference .
I say "go for it and don't give up" :thumbup: . Remember , if it ends up tasting bad , stick it through a reflux still and drink it as a light Rum or Neutral ( if you can clean it up enough)
Re evaluate what you did . Try to hone in on why it tastes bad ...or if its better :thumbup: ...change things a bit next time and have another go .

For the record , I have never tipped out a Bad tasting Rum ...Whether mine or someone else's , I know the time and effort that goes into making this stuff . :clap: ...at the end of the day , they all work :D

Incidentally I remember in one of those old Rum making books ( circa 1900 IIRC ) references to making Beet mollases rum and nowhere can I remember it saying it tastes bad .
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

That's a great find der wo, vielen Dank! :thumbup:
Cheers,
Berserk

der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Berserk wrote:That's a great find der wo, vielen Dank! :thumbup:
Still a bit expensive unfortunately... Where I buy it's cheaper, but they don't deliver outside Germany.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
BenderDK
Novice

Post by BenderDK »

Thanks for all the reply´s

I did a spirit run slow running , and took alot of the funky ness away. left it to settle for some days now and in the comming weekend ill gonna give it a taste :)

if it aint to bad, ill oak it and leave it for some time and see how it turns out :)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If it is bad, oak it somewhere around 64% in a 2/3 full bottle and hide it in the back of a cupboard for a few years.
BenderDK
Novice

Post by BenderDK »

NZChris..

Sounds like a plan :)