slow fed sugar?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

twisted_times
Novice

slow fed sugar?

Post by twisted_times »

Good morning everyone, have been doing some reading and can not find specifics, I am winging a sugar wash with corn meal flavoring and being a low and slow kind of guy decided to ferment my sugar wash slowly by adding the sugar smaller portions over time rather than all at the onset,i also only used a very small amount of turbo to get it started, I have done some wild yeast fruit ferments like this and they turned out ok. Question is does it affect flavors in anyway? I am not as worried about the abv than taste so yield is not a big issue.it gets sugar and shaken twice a day. A lot like a sourdough start.
* HEY YOU GUYYYYYYYYSSSSS*.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: slow fed sugar?

Post by der wo »

Some members do it. I experimented it once. A tomato paste recipe for neutral alcohol with bakers yeast. Sugar for around 12%. I didn't see differences to add the sugar in three steps or all at once.
Do you have more details? Sugar content, what and how much yeast?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
twisted_times
Novice

Post by twisted_times »

Heated up about two gallons of water, just below a boil dumped in around a pound and a half of sugar and two pounds corn meal, stired till sugar was disolved and corn meal softened up, dumped in carboy let cool pitched about three tablespoons of turbo 48 dumped in carboy, topped off carboy with well water, have not checked og as I do not have my hydrometer at the moment. It is more a random this is what I've got laying around let's see if it works, is on day 5 bubbling away. Not very scientific this go round but I like watching the bubbles
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Alcotec 48 is not really famous here for a good quality product. But anyway, if it smells ok, it's fine.
3 Tablespoons sounds much for 2gal. But I think it's ok. You should use much less than for sugar water. I think 1/5 would suffice, if you use turbo packets (with included nutrients) for grain or fruit mashes. That's about 10g for your batch.
1.5lbs sugar for 2gal is a very low. But do you want to add more sugar later? How much? 1.5lbs more and you will have around 10% alcohol.
If it ferments like your fruit ferments, it ok I think.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

The only time I've heard of anyone Deliberately feeding with sugar in small doses is in winemaking towards the end of the ferment, when trying to get the last percentage points of alcohol out of a high alcohol must, using a high alcohol yeast. Turbo is advertised as a high alcohol yeast. [Edit -Personally, I have used it once and would not do so for drinking alcohol again. I would use it if making fuel. Possibly I would for a quick ferment for a cleaning run - discuss ?]

Having said that, I often start a ferment with less sugar then I intend to use if I do not have enough sugar. Pouring the additional sugar in later needs to be done carefully, as it tends to foam quite a lot. I do not bother dissolving the sugar before adding it - either as an addition, or indeed at the beginning, just dump it in there. The yeast will sort it out quite happily.
twisted_times
Novice

Post by twisted_times »

To the comment on only seeing slow fed sugar on final ferments are with wine makers. Yes actually I have a lot of experience with wine making than spirits. I did buy the turbo yeast before running into this website and now realize my error. I have always used wine making yeast but we were doing by the book wines. Maybe I will have to try a fuel batch for a camp stove with the left over turbo yeast. I thank you all for your input and advise on making "good" spirits. A shame that the net is flooded with turbo yeast get a high abv mash junk
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

twisted_times wrote:A shame that the net is flooded with turbo yeast get a high abv mash junk
+1

I've done step feeding with rum, mead, and a rice wine, all with good results.
I didn't make any control batches to compare them to but I will say it's the best mead I ever made.

It's all about keeping the wort environment friendly for the yeast by not making the sugar concentration too high at any given time. At least that's how I understand it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...