turbo experiment

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

turbo experiment

Post by stillvodka »

So having not used turbo's for years now, I thought I would give it a go to see if they have improved in the quality! this was just basic pot still runs. done 3 washes
Used 3 packs of turbo 48 hour, 6kg sugar in each,
Did 3 strip runs, combined the low wines, then ran it through the still, did the cuts as I normally do , taste smell was terrible!, So thought put some nice clean water in the pot and Run again, Came out not So bad, will say less smelly and a bit better taste of nothingness, But in the end all I got out of the whole exercise was 3/4 gallon of 60% alcohol that was drinkable but also took me two spirit runs to get there, So, reminder Not to use Turbo yeast.
I did Not run it through Carbon as I feel you shouldn't have to do this, anybody with a decant amount of experience :thumbup:
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: turbo experiment

Post by Badmotivator »

Thanks for running this experiment. I have wondered if the anti-turbo sentiment is based on solid evidence or something else. Your report adds to my confidence that it is good, solid information. Cheers.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

But not every turbo yeast tastes like the Alcotec 48h.
If you don't need to ferment 8kg sugar in 25l wash but "only" 6kg, you can buy also other turbo yeasts like the Vodka Star.
I am not the opinion it's better than birdwatchers or all bran, but it's ok to use it while researching the recipes here.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

BTW, I just remember Odins old posts, easy to find with google and site:http://homedistiller.org/forum odin alcotec
Odin wrote:I used the Alcotec 24, 48 and all of their specials. Also fooled around with baker's yeast and tomato juice. A-48 is the best. Just ferment it with 7.5 kilo's of sugar in 21 litres of water. Totals up to 25 litres of 18 - 19% wash in 4 days. No nasties. Using a clearing agent to make the sediment settle, I can distill 1 1/2 days later. Gives a great vodka even when distilled twice in a pot still. Reflux even better. About 200 cc of fores and heads. Most of the rest is hearts. Almost no tails, using a fractionating column. The temp will settle around 78 degrees centigrade and not move. No higher alcohols and no temp rise until all the ethanol is out. Then it just goes to distilling water at 100 degrees. Best turbo around.

And just to state it once more: where does all the animosity against turbo's come from? I guess from the times only fertilizer was added instead of like 25 other nutrients and well developed yeast strands. To anybody out there wanting a cheap (EURO 2.75) yeast for great vodka making: go for the A-48. Even Gert Strand advises it and it's the only advised yeast brand for the Amazing still (with which you cannot make cuts, so purity in mash is much more important).
Odin wrote:yes, I tried it. Works good. Do not let yourself be fooled by all those guys talking about bakers yeast. Alcotec makes great products, but somehow this comunity is quite conservative. Anything you cannot make yourself is worse then something you can at least partially make yourself. But what if the proof is different? Dó use A-whiskey yeast. It is good for minimash or grain based. Gives a good base beer for whisky making. Combination of sugar ánd grain is also good. up until 20 litres and it will give you around 13% max. with little head and not too much tails.
I think after a while he gave up. He has other things to do now.

What I want to say: You have to try it for yourself. Like stillvodka did. :thumbup: . At least if you want to write about it. There is too much conflicting opinions about using turbos.

As I wrote in a few posts, I am very happy with some fruit ferments with turbo yeast (Prestige Fruit Schnapps yeast) I did in the past. I am not happy with 8kg/25l neutral ferments, but the 6kg/25l yeasts for neutral taste all right.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK in the interests of accuracy and this is in no way an endorsement

I have friends that make corn whiskey often using turbo. Where as its not awful I feel its better when they don't use it, they like that it ferments really fast rather than aiming for a particularly high ABV. I guess sensibly used its ok, not great and I feel there are better options but it isn't as bad as the crap you get following the directions.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

I think, in the end, I should state imho, it boils down to :) , turbo washes are not good for potstilling, and in a funny sort of way, your not getting that feeling you are actually crafting anything, your just churning out alcohol for just to get pissed!
I will say this is not meaning everyone though.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

What about the White Labs Turbo yeast. They seam like a different animal than the traditional turbos everyone talks about being bad. I local guy her uses them all the time.

I read the ingredients and is some nurtients but mostly just yeast and different enzymes also.. sota what we already do.. I was going to do an experiment with them, just not sourced any yet.

B
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have used the alcotec 48 many times just never posted about them because of the backlash. Lol

In my experience I've found that it ferments very quickly and if ran while cloudy it will taste like shit. On the other hand I've found that if let settled out it has made a fine neutral that I've used for lemon and panty dropper and both have been freaking awesome. As a white drink on the rocks it's not so good IMHO but like I've stated if let get crystal clear (it will given time) it won't have the cappy taste I've found in the cloudy runs.

This no way an endorsement for them as I don't make swill any longer and have moved on to bigger and better things, it's not bad for a mixing likker if let clear and run properly.

Shine0n
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

begs the question though, is it so quick if time is needed for it to settle
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Not for this fella
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thecroweater wrote:begs the question though, is it so quick if time is needed for it to settle
heh heh heh.
Sometimes i think "i'll run this hot so i can distill it on Sunday" then Sunday comes and goes, i got busy and two or three weeks has gone by before i get a chance to run it.
The secret here is to have enough in the cellar to not give a shit when it finishes. Extra ferments help too, if you have a couple 200L barrels going, doesn't matter if one is full of plums and wild yeast that takes 2 months to get itself done.
Tried a couple turbos early on and can't say they were any worse than the young sugar heads that was being made, but this thread makes me want to circle back for another look.
I've been trying a DADY on the last five or so, it seems to be a bit faster than bakers...and i think the flavor is as good or better but it takes a long time to decide, so many sips to test so little time! :ebiggrin:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hell, I might too HDNB. LOL
While I'm still working out of town and can't run it, it will clear nicely during that time.

I might add 10 lbs sf to it ( 15 gal ) ferment
Let it clear real good and see.

I've not bought sugar for my likker in a while and now I'll feel like "all eyes on me"
RafaelArroyo
Novice

Post by RafaelArroyo »

So it sounds like the problem with turbo yeast is that at the end of the day it's still just yeast and not magical 48 hour fermenting powder, and anything that would stress yeast (like trying to rapidly ferment a high grav wash) will stress the turbo. Am I getting that right?
Brewing hydrometers are $10-12. A refractometer can be had for $18. You're going to break at least one hydrometer, probably more. Do the math.
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

RafaelArroyo wrote:So it sounds like the problem with turbo yeast is that at the end of the day it's still just yeast and not magical 48 hour fermenting powder, and anything that would stress yeast (like trying to rapidly ferment a high grav wash) will stress the turbo. Am I getting that right?
The 1st problem with turbo yeasts is that they require/include a lot of nutrients/additives to allow the yeast to ferment that fast and to that strength of alcohol and the yeast gets stressed as you say (think redbull used to swallow caffeine tablets). 2nd problem is that folk who use turbo yeast tend to want to distill quickly after their quick ferment and so a lot of the additives are still not settled out of the wash and the taste and smell carries over into the liquor. The original turbos were made for fuel, not drinking and most haven't changed. This is why still spirits make extra money selling carbon gloop and clearing gloop.

Loose analogy is instant coffee v real coffee or cheapo cola v coke. Some people can't tell the difference and some people can.

Personally, when stocks run low, I use alcotec vodka star and while not ideal, I find it pretty good.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I will not go crazy with the sugar but here is my experiment,
25 lbs sugar
7 lbs sweet feed
1 package turbo 48
This will be a 15 gal ferment

I will ferment this this weekend and alow to settle for 20-30 days. If all goes well and I get no infection I'll run this through a 15 gal pot still with thumper.
Once distilled, I'll air it for 24 hours and make cuts and then blend the following day.
If nothing else I get to make some apple pie, panty dropper, or some lemon aid.
I may take a quart and try oaking it and do 3 nuke cycle and age for a spell.

I have no idea how this will turn out but it's been a while so what the hell right!!!

I need some sugar for my sweet tea anyway sooo.......