Rum recipe

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Rum recipe

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys- I'm wanting to try making rum- I've looked at recipes here and they all call for dunder. What do I use for dunder on my first run? On my strip run do I use water n save Dunder from strip run for spirit run?
semper fi
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Rum recipe

Post by NZChris »

Use the dunder from your first strip for the next ferment.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

After reading pugi rum in t and t again I answered my own stoopid ?. Thanx again. I read in couple places that during distillation I need to run it really fast, so it'll smear n push the flavors over. Is that correct for stripping runs?
semper fi
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

As fast as your condenser can knock it down on a strip.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Fast and deep. You don't want to be adding water to dilute low wines to 40% for the spirit run. I float an alcometer in the collection vessel and run to around 27-30% abv.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I personally run my rum (with thumper) one and done!
Not quite as fast as a strip, not as slow as a spirit, for my taste has been the best I've come up with.

I've done the strip and found it to be time consuming and I loose the flavor I looked for in a rum, this is just from my experience and is not knocking others methods. Some believe in strip then spirit and I and a few others believe in the other.

The only way is to do both and come to a conclusion of your own as your taste may differ from mine and mine from yours.

Me- I like the sweetness, boldness and powerful taste of my rums run once.

Shine0n
Greig56
Novice

Post by Greig56 »

COCONUT WATER
Gonna try to pose a question here! I do Rum, it's soo easy and I've tweaked my recipe the last few years where I'm very satisfied w my results. I'm contemplating using coconut water in my next batch -thinking with the pulp for maybe a wee bit more flavour,, to thin out the molasses instead of just water depending on what the gravity soars to..!
Has anyone got any experience with coconut water in their batches? Thoughts?

Rum on! Slainte!
Retiring from a working profession. Thinking of making a decent mark on Man's Second Oldest Profession. Fanfare not required!
30Ltr Boiler Keg, Pot Still 3"x24" under 1 1/2"x24" made b4 found this site! 18" Liebig
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

Sounds like it could be a good experiment, keep us posted on results!