Hbb/caramel sugar wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Hbb/caramel sugar wash

Post by Bavis54 »

Made a really interesting spirit this wknd, two wknds ago I ran off a honey bear bourbon run. Turned out great and it's aging now, I saved the grains, and in a clean 12 gal fermenter added 1 lb of Chrystal caramel 120l - 4 lbs of dark brown sugar and 4 lbs white sugar. I filled up fermenter with hot backset from hbb run. Pitched with bakers yeast. Starting og was 1.075. I ran it Friday nite n it is very nice- im getting better but it's still hard for me to tell quality right outta the spout. I've learned that even a cpl weeks age makes a huuuuge difference. Stuff I thought that was rough turns out great over a months time. Anyway this stuff is pretty good right out the spout. I proofed a test cup down to 100 proof and it has a really good sweet raisin aroma and taste. And no sugar bite. Really like it so far.
semper fi
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Hbb/caramel sugar wash

Post by OtisT »

Sounds delicious. Suddenly, my sugar head on HBB w/oats seems inadequate. ;-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

OtisT wrote:Sounds delicious. Suddenly, my sugar head on HBB w/oats seems inadequate. ;-)
Cringe not , Fair Knight ! The honorable fight has many fronts .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

OtisT wrote:Sounds delicious. Suddenly, my sugar head on HBB w/oats seems inadequate. ;-)
The grass is always greener! Don't underestimate your prowess or power of HBB ... especially with oats.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Made 2nd run of this today. I absolutly love this drop. The caramel gives a fruity taste that really nice.
semper fi