the new Silicone

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

Snuffy-ga

the new Silicone

Post by Snuffy-ga »

I recently made a hole in a stainless pot lid that was pretty bad. I used a silicone pot holder as a gasket. I know the same type of silicone is used for muffins bread etc but someone said I should avoid the use of this stuff. I also used silicone for the sealant of the lid. Am I going to die? How do I know what will cause a problem with the contact of spirits? Do I just need to throw everything away and spend $400 for a pre-fab unit that uses the same sort of stuff? :crazy:
Tater
Admin

Re: the new Silicone

Post by Tater »

First Id read what it was good for. Then not use it anyway. :D ya should really look into what ya use in a still . alcohol can break down a lot of stuff.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Jimbo
retired

Re: the new Silicone

Post by Jimbo »

wrap it in pipe thread teflon tape (PTFE) , and everyone here will leave you alone about it then :ebiggrin:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24199
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion