Borosilicate Glassware

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

Driver5773
Site Donor
Site Donor

Borosilicate Glassware

Post by Driver5773 »

Hi guys, gonna be a stupid question I know, but is Borosilicate glass safe to use with high proof alcohol?
It’s commonplace in laboratories, and has a high chemical resistance. i.e acids.

So I’m thinking yes, but double checking with the experts. :)
I’m going to be using the glass for sg/also readings, and for cutting forshots/heads/tails.

Many thanks again for all your help and good advice.

Simon.
“If at first you don’t succeed..... make vodka” Turner N. Hooch 1836-1919
“How many moons can a moonshine shine, if a moonshine could shine moons?” Drunken bloke at Turners house.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Borosilicate Glassware

Post by Yummyrum »

Boro glass is just fine for measuring, testing ,storage , windows in stills etc

But we generally discourage using glass as part of a still , say as a boiler or a thumper ......just too risky ...and while Boro glass is great from a thermal shock point of view it's still quite fragile , hence the reason not to use it for boiling etc
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Glass is very nice material as it is almost non-reactive. It can be etched with HF, but I never distilled that. :mrgreen:
I once read an article comparing the leaching of lead from crystal glass, but can not find it again. That is a pity, as some people like to drink strong alcohol from crystal glasses.

I am told, that the our department of customs has a special ruling for glass stills. Normally you have to report every chance in the still, but as glass boilers often break and it is not feasible for laboratories to wait for approval of every replacement, this rule does not apply for glass.

Speaking for myself: I never lost a piece of glass (meters, measuring glasses) during distilling. But of course: success in the past is no guarantee for the future.
Driver5773
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Driver5773 »

Thanks guys. No glass in the still, I don’t need to see what’s going on inside, I’m too busy grinning from ear to ear..whilst watch the drips at the outlet. It’s purely for collection, not even storage.
I was just wondering due to the silica in the glass.
Thanks again.

Simon
“How many moons can a moonshine shine, if a moonshine could shine moons?” Drunken bloke at Turners house.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Driver5773 wrote:Thanks guys. No glass in the still, I don’t need to see what’s going on inside, I’m too busy grinning from ear to ear..whilst watch the drips at the outlet. It’s purely for collection, not even storage.
Thanks again.

Simon
A sight glass is a lotta fun and nothing wrong with it
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My shotgun condenser was made from Borosilicate glass by Mash Rookie, of course that is at the cooling stage.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Driver5773 wrote:Thanks guys. No glass in the still, I don’t need to see what’s going on inside, I’m too busy grinning from ear to ear..whilst watch the drips at the outlet. It’s purely for collection, not even storage.
Thanks again.

Simon
There are silicates in ALL glasses. Normal glass is a calciumsodiumsilicate. And this is safely used for all kinds of food storage!!

In borosilicate glass borium replaces (part of) the calcium and sodium. Borium can be harmful, but the glass is only attacked by hydrogenfluoride (HF).

For comparison: in crystal glass lead replaces (part of) the calcium and sodium.
Driver5773
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Driver5773 »

Well that’s a relief then. Cos I’d already ordered loads of it. Thanks.